Avoiding Distractions - What do you do?

LindseyDCLindseyDC Core Member
in Off-topic 190 karma

Hi 7Sagers!

I am going for the September LSAT, so for me it's crunch time. I am wondering how everyone gets into "the zone". I am planning on deactivating FB / instagram, removing apps from my phone, and basically anything else that poses as a distraction during my weak moments. I was just wondering what everyone else does in hopes of gleaning some positive transfer!! :)

Any and all advice welcome for focusing & staying on track.

Thanks!!
Lindsey

Comments

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

I think setting times / giving yourself "permission" to do that thing you like helps a lot. For example, I know I can study hard for an hour because when my alarm goes off, I can check my facebook account, look at 7Sage Discussions, play Bejeweled, etc. As long as you know its coming, you can focus on the now.

• lady macbethlady macbeth Alum Member
    894 karma

Download this app called Forest. It's a virtual tree growing app where trees are planted while you're not on your phone. If you open your phone, the tree begins to die. After you plant enough trees in your forest -- the company plants a real tree in Africa. Keep reminding yourself you have a goal and it's to ace the lsat and get back to work!

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

I have this app on my mac called "self-control" where it basically blocks off certain sites for a specified amount of time. So it doesn't matter if you try a different browser or restart your laptop, until the time is up you won't be able to access those sites. Also, if I have a hard time not looking at my phone I turn it off and hide in it in my room or put it in a different room. I find that if it's not in front of me, the urge to check it constantly goes away and eventually you forget about it.

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited May 2018 3072 karma

Social media is a big one. I can't tell you how freeing it was to break away from social media. That is definitely when my score began to improve the most and then never stopped improving.

• jenniferjiedingjenniferjieding Free Trial Member
    8 karma

It all lead me the remnicent of SAT time when i was a highschool kid, no phone, no digital things, focusing time can up to 4hours which now is only one hour. i think its great idea to turn wifi off on our pc and put phone in other room to be much more focus and prolong our hours complete for study, nothing else in our mind. One important thing is no maudlin music, a lot of cold wind when we feel sluggish sunshine eye stimulate will be great to stay us alert.

• LindseyDCLindseyDC Core Member
    190 karma

that's awesome!!! thanks!!! I love that. > @"lady macbeth" said:

Download this app called Forest. It's a virtual tree growing app where trees are planted while you're not on your phone. If you open your phone, the tree begins to die. After you plant enough trees in your forest -- the company plants a real tree in Africa. Keep reminding yourself you have a goal and it's to ace the lsat and get back to work!

• LindseyDCLindseyDC Core Member
    190 karma

I couldn't agree more! That's why I've decided to make the leap for a few months. :D

@goingfor99th said:
    Social media is a big one. I can't tell you how freeing it was to break away from social media. That is definitely when my score began to improve the most and then never stopped improving.

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    edited May 2018 1184 karma

Surrounding yourself with the right people is also important. People can definitely be a distraction . If a person is not supportive of my journey, causes unnecessary drama, or is a overall toxic and negative person, I have kept my distance or removed them entirely. Studying for the LSAT has definitely given me an excuse to maintain my peace.

Edit: I love forest, definitely worth it.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited May 2018 1866 karma

I want to just echo what @ElleWoods77 said -- studying for this test will likely get stressful at times, and having the wrong people around you can really compound that stress. On the flip side, having supportive friends, both those who are taking and not taking this test, can be incredibly helpful. My best friend who isn't taking this test has helped keep me grounded in terms of the actual importance of this exam in my life (it's important, but not the end of the world) while my 7Sage friends are great for emotional support because we have shared experiences revolving around the struggle of actually studying for and taking this test.

I also definitely recommend distancing yourself from social media. I've personally never been much of a social media person, but with this test in particular there are times I feel like friends are moving on in their careers while I'm "stuck" in place studying for this exam, and that can be a bit stressful. Besides that, the endless scroll and recommended content features on most social media are there for a reason, and sometimes over an hour has passed before you realize it, so I would avoid it regardless.

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

I turn on Airplane Mode while I study and then use my breaks to check social media. Also, have a consistent schedule for when you study each day and don't forget to work in times for relaxation and leisure. Keeping a regular gym schedule, eating healthy, and getting plenty of sleep contributes most to keeping myself "in the zone"

• ATLsat_2019ATLsat_2019 Member
    455 karma

Find a really good place to study! I do most of my studying on the silent floor of a library and I find that environment really conducive to productivity. I tend to get really distracted by other things if I'm at home, so being in a quiet place around a bunch of other people who are also focusing on their own stuff is really beneficial for me at least.

It also helps studying feel like more of an "event" so when I'm at the library studying, I'm (I try to be...) 100% checked in, and when I leave I try not to think too much about the LSAT. I agree with what others have said about healthy eating, sleep, and exercise, and also want to add that I make a point to still maintain some sort of a healthy social life to help me stay sane.

• AngusMcGillisAngusMcGillis Member
    403 karma

I've switched to a flip phone. It's been a game changer.

• splitter_sagasplitter_saga Free Trial Member
    60 karma

@AngusMcGillis said:
    I've switched to a flip phone. It's been a game changer.

haha mannn i've really been contemplating that but then rationalized that sometimes I really do need maps/gps and email on the go for instance