Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Withdraw or Retake?

MarClaAveMarClaAve Member
in July 2018 LSAT 123 karma

I am signed up for June 2018, I have never taken the LSAT before, and I am almost certain that I will retake the LSAT June 2019. I plan on taking ~a year to work through the Ultimate package and work my PT score up. I signed up for June 2018 about 3 months ago before realizing I would need MUCH more time to get the score I want. Now I'm faced with the option of either still taking it as "practice" and then retaking it in a year after I've had the chance to get solid training, or skipoing all together. My question is, is it worth the potential harm a lower score will cause my application? I PT between 156-161 and hope to improve my score to the high 160s+ by next year. Wouldn't it be better to just skip June 2018 if I know I will retake regardless? I don't want law schools to see my 150s score if they don't have to, and if I just withdraw then they will be none the wiser.

Or, since its already paid for, should I just suck it up and take it for practice?

Comments

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

Keep in mind depending on what school you are applying for they may average out your lsat score - each school has a different method but the most popular is to take the highest lsat score.

My opinion is put it off until you are scoring where you need to be. good luck

• taschasptaschasp Alum Member Sage
    796 karma

The money has already been spent, and overall it will be better for your application if you just wait if you plan on doing so anyway

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

If you know you're going to take about a year to study then there's no point taking it in June. It'll just be a blemish on your record.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Note that schools often ask you to write an Lsat score addendum to your application if you have a substantial difference between your scores. I think that a years worth of studying would lead to a substantial difference. Just for that reason I wouldn’t take it now.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

I'm joining the other people who commented in thinking your best bet is probably to wait and keep studying.

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

Don't take it. Study and take it when you are ready. I agree with everything thats been said, another note is that you'll be able to use June 2018 in your prep for June 2019. Why waste a recent exam if the plan is to retake? I don't know anyone who went in to the test hoping to score 10 points above their current average and succeeded. You are on the right path with 7sage! Keep it up and stay focused. :)

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Why would you take it? Bad scores don't hurt much since schools mainly look at the highest one but they don't help. And there is no way that a year of study doesn't leave you substantially better prepared than you are right now.

You might as well not have emotional scar tissue from prematurely taking the test when you take it in a year.