Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking the LSAT at a hotel vs at a university

josephakjosephak Alum Member
edited June 2018 in Test Center Reviews 16 karma

I am in a situation where I can choose to take the LSAT at a hotel in my hometown, or take the LSAT at my undergrad university in another city. I am wondering if anyone has taken the LSAT at a hotel before and can give me some insight on what the environment is like. Are all the test takers in one large ballroom or do they split us up into smaller sections?
Thanks

Comments

• Lsat taker22Lsat taker22 Alum Member
    315 karma

I'm wondering this, too. I'm registered to write the exam in a hotel and curious how they organize test-takers.

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    1028 karma

Go to the test centers themselves and scout them out. It varies big time, dependent on the location.

I made the mistake of not checking out my test room in person the 1st time (at my undergrad campus), assuming that LSAC would standardize desk space etc., and got stuck with an arm-desk that was smaller than the test booklet.

The 2nd time, I switched test centers after scouting out a neighboring university and finding out that each student got like 6 ft of desk space to themselves.

I can't speak to hotels, but I'm sure that the set-up varies largely between test centers in that situation too. Just go to the places you can sign up at (on the same day of the week you'd be testing) and ask where the test is given. Make sure it's quiet and that you have ample desk space.

• ChennaaaChennaaa Alum Member
    10 karma

I went to a hotel that I am supposed to take mine in. The hotel workers didn't know exactly what room it would be in but I figured it would be in the room called the education center (something similar to that name). I cant't remember exactly what the room was called, but I went in there and It looked similar to a college lecture room. There were about 100 desks and chairs.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I'd probably vote for a university because it may get a person into a school mindset but some hotels also have very nice conference rooms and I'm sure it varies. Hope you get a chance to visit.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

I would be careful with universities during the academic year. Some schools may hold a sport event on weekends; as you may know that usually means noises. Somebody took the LSAT at USC and immensely regretted it; the school had a big sport event on that day. USC's marching band (and possibly one from the opposing team) played periodically, among other noises.

• josephakjosephak Alum Member
    16 karma

@Chennaaa said:
    I went to a hotel that I am supposed to take mine in. The hotel workers didn't know exactly what room it would be in but I figured it would be in the room called the education center (something similar to that name). I cant't remember exactly what the room was called, but I went in there and It looked similar to a college lecture room. There were about 100 desks and chairs.

Ya I am hoping the hotel I will potentially be taking mine in is like that. I just don't want a massive room with hundreds of test takers.

• josephakjosephak Alum Member
    16 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    I'd probably vote for a university because it may get a person into a school mindset but some hotels also have very nice conference rooms and I'm sure it varies. Hope you get a chance to visit.

That is exactly why I'm debating this, especially because it will be my undergrad university which will feel more comfortable.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@josephakroon said:
    Ya I am hoping the hotel I will potentially be taking mine in is like that. I just don't want a massive room with hundreds of test takers.

I took my last test in a university and it was in a large auditorium with at least a hundred people. So just because its in a hotel or university does not mean there are going to be less or more people. Best bet is to check it out and ask questions.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@josephakroon said:

I took my last test in a university and it was in a large auditorium with at least a hundred people. So just because its in a hotel or university does not mean there are going to be less or more people. Best bet is to check it out and ask questions.

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    774 karma

Ooh I like the hotel idea only because they might have a starbucks on location...My biggest question is what would the parking situation look like? Would you have to pay or do valet? If you are comfortable with your undergrad location, that might be the best choice for you. I'm actually about to head over to my testing location (just a tad under an hour drive :neutral: )

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited June 2018 3652 karma

@teamteamvicster said:
    Ooh I like the hotel idea only because they might have a starbucks on location...My biggest question is what would the parking situation look like? Would you have to pay or do valet? If you are comfortable with your undergrad location, that might be the best choice for you. I'm actually about to head over to my testing location (just a tad under an hour drive :neutral: )

At universities you have to pay for parking too. At my undergrad it was like $3/hour. And from my understanding proctors won’t let you leave the immediate test center area so you wouldn’t be able to go to Starbucks on the break.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited June 2018 3652 karma

I’m not sure what all hotel test centers are like and only have one lsat at a hotel to speak of, but I think hotel center is the best bet. At a university you might get stuck with those tiny side arm desks that can barely fit your paper. Or you might be in a really stuffy small room. It can be super confusing to get around universities and find parking. It’ll probably be full of students and possibly loud activities.