Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not getting any better at LR

amicuslsatamicuslsat Alum Member

I've been over the LR CC twice now and also have tried to incorporate various suggestions I've found on the discussion forum to get better at LR and nothing works, I seem to be getting worse. In desperate need of help! I vary from -3 to -7 on LR and I really want to improve it to a maximum of -2 before my June (24th) attempt. Any clue as to what I should do?

Comments

• jurisprudentjurisprudent Alum Member
    326 karma
    1. Have you tried timed sections as drills? You may be experiencing a pacing difficulty.
    2. Are you employing a skipping strategy? Top scorers have a pacing/skipping strategy that works for them.
    3. Are you missing specific question types? If so, you may need to take a break from PTing to address these weaknesses.
  • teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    edited June 2018 774 karma

Yes. I second what JurisPrudent (bomb name, btw) said. Look at your analytics and identify question types you are missing most. Develop a procedure for those. Drill those specific question types. Take another LR section. Rinse and repeat? Best of luck going into June! Almost there!

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited June 2018 1777 karma

What I just did was I made a list of the question types I got wrong and the difficulty level of those questions. For example, I got two weakening questions wrong that were both 3/5 difficulty and two NA questions that were 4/5 difficulty. Those are what I'm going to focus on; I can come back to the 5/5 flaw question I got wrong later.

Also, I've been timing myself with practice questions. If you already do this, do you have leftover time for a lot of individual questions (under a min and 24 sec)? I've figured out that I can get many questions right in under 45 seconds, and about half of them done in under a minute. I set a timer for 1 min and 40 seconds for each question, which gives me the extra time I need for the harder questions. If I can't finish the question in that time, or I have to reread the entire question, I skip it. This practice gives me a natural feel of when I'm spending too much time on a question.

• KaterynaKateryna Alum Member
    984 karma

Struggling with the same issue. -3 to -7 on LR, do not know how to improve. It feels like I have tried every strategy at this point and I am running of options.

• amicuslsatamicuslsat Alum Member
    178 karma

Thanks @jurisprudent, @teamteamvicster, and @samantha.ashley92! I did try incorporating these suggestions but weirdly what seemed to work for me was explaining why I got the questions I got wrong aloud to myself and then writing them down as one would for cookie cutter questions to break my (incorrect) thought process. @Kateryna, see if this works for you! I'm finally down to -1/-0 on my LR.

• KaterynaKateryna Alum Member
    984 karma

@badfrenchaccent thank you for suggestion, I will start doing the same for July test

• 702 karma

@badfrenchaccent said:
    Thanks @jurisprudent, @teamteamvicster, and @samantha.ashley92! I did try incorporating these suggestions but weirdly what seemed to work for me was explaining why I got the questions I got wrong aloud to myself and then writing them down as one would for cookie cutter questions to break my (incorrect) thought process. @Kateryna, see if this works for you! I'm finally down to -1/-0 on my LR.

Hello!! I have a question on your strategy. Do you keep a record or journal of the different question types you get wrong and then put an explanation for why you got them wrong? Do you also drill different question types? If you could please further explain your technique that would be amazing! Thank you so much!!

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    edited June 2018 774 karma

@"LSAT Warrior Princess" here's an example of my LSAT journal. I cut out questions I got wrong or questions i circled. Then I do a write-up. I'm very much a kinesthetic learner, so handwriting it out helps me more compared to typing.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/MTeK5t8

• 702 karma

@teamteamvicster said:
    @"LSAT Warrior Princess" here's an example of my LSAT journal. I cut out questions I got wrong or questions i circled. Then I do a write-up. I'm very much a kinesthetic learner, so handwriting it out helps me more compared to typing.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/MTeK5t8

Thank you so much!! That really helps a lot! I’m going to start doing that ASAP!

• GrumpySnailGrumpySnail Alum Member
    100 karma

Hey, we are definitely on the same boat.
    I am taking my first test in July, and I am aiming for a 170. I now have -0/-2 on LG, -4/-7 on LR, and -6/-7 on RC.
    I need to improve my LR to -2/-3 in order to get a 170 and I have no other options. I am already getting prefect scores on LGs and I find RC even harder to improve, so I would have to spend my time studying LR.