Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When reapplying can you..?

lsat 1101lsat 1101 Alum Member
edited August 2018 in General 267 karma

Hi is there anyone who is certain of the answer to this question -
when reapplying to the same school that you didn't get into the first time, can you submit the same letters of references and personal statement, if the only issue was your lsat score so you're reapplying with better score and that's it? I've been out of school a long time and LOR's were really hard to come by

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

You "can" but it's usually a good idea to at least revisit them and polish them up a bit. I'd say you're fine on the LORs, but maybe revise/rework your personal statement a bit so that it seems fresh and more reflective of where you are now in your life.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I would recommend calling the schools you intend to reapply to.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited August 2018 1777 karma

@"David.Busis" can probably answer this well.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Typically, LORs are fine to use a 2nd time (best to contact your writers just to let them know, in case they want to change anything or update the letter). You are better off re-writing your PS though, even if you use the same one. I've seen stories of people who didn't and had no trouble, but the general advice is that it's best to change it up somehow. Doesn't have to be a whole new statement, but do some edits, a re-write of some sort. Just to make sure they don't think you are being lazy. There's always something we can do to improve a piece, right? At least, I'm a terrible perfectionist and am never happy with anything I've written haha.

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7272 karma

Everyone's given great advice so far!

You definitely don't have to worry about reusing LORs.

The chance of an admissions officer remembering your personal statement from last cycle is relatively small, but it's still a good idea to give it a light renovation—especially the beginning—if you're worried.

Of course, that assumes that your PS is already about as good as it can be, and that it still reflects who you are. If you can make the essay much better, you should.

• lsat 1101lsat 1101 Alum Member
    267 karma

very helpful advice, thanks so much to each of you!!

• mynameisjeffmynameisjeff Member
    519 karma

@"lsat 1101" said:
    very helpful advice, thanks so much to each of you!!

great post!