Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Law Media

BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
in Off-topic 1694 karma

I have never really watched any TV serie, or movie, or even read any books about law. I've heard that they tend to give law applicants the wrong impression about law and law school, so I'm surprised to hear so many people talk about how certain TV shows or characters inspired them to be lawyers. What do current students tend to think about law-based popular media? Are there any that are recommended and beneficial?

Comments

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited September 2018 2689 karma

Not a law student yet.. But for two or three weeks (before school got insane), I spent at least one day each week after work sitting in at the court house. I watched cases and pleas and dumb things like rescheduling. I found out what happens when you don't show up for your court date. In between hearings, because no one just sits there and watches anymore apparently, I had lawyers and staff come over and ask me questions and talk to me. A judge once, too, at the end of the day, but I knew him from before. What better way to get a good idea than to watch the real thing, right? It was very enlightening.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@AudaciousRed That is such an awesome idea! Love that. I was called for jury duty early this year and ended up serving on a jury. First time serving after being called 4 times. It was a simple case but was so interesting going through that whole process. Seeing what a real trial looks like, got the chance to talk to the attorneys afterward for a bit. Definitely helpful.

I will admit to being a sucker for law-related TV shows hahah. That said, I’ve never heard anyone say that any of them are remotely realistic. I think there are bits and pieces to be gleaned from each, but I don’t think any are a good representation. I think The Good Wife, especially early on, is kind of interesting for things like BigLaw culture/hiring, and fun for me being the plot of someone who is starting a career older. Suits a little bit, just in how their firm won’t hire anyone that didn’t attend Harvard law, and shows a bit of associates getting raked over the coals. Both of those also show people working basically 24/7, which seems accurate haha. I wouldn’t go so far as to say either of those are all that accurate or representative legally though.

I have seen The Paper Chase recommended as a movie to show you what law school is “really like” though. Haven’t watched it yet, but on my to do list.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Oh as for the inspiration thing though... I don’t think something necessarily has to be accurate to be inspiring. Watching someone fight for people’s rights or move up a corporate ladder could be inspiring to some without necessarily portraying what that is like in actuality. Or something like Erik Brockovich is based on a true story. That one is pretty inspiring. Or documentaries like Making A Murderer, and The Jinx. Real ways that you can see how law affects people and can change lives, for better or worse. There are a ton of good podcasts about wrongful convictions. That’s been really eye opening to me to see the realities of how our justice system can fail people. I think there’s a lot out there that can be inspiring, some more “accurate” than others. But I don’t think things necessarily have to be realistic to be inspiring.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@AudaciousRed said:
    Not a law student yet.. But for two or three weeks (before school got insane), I spent at least one day each week after work sitting in at the court house. I watched cases and pleas and dumb things like rescheduling. I found out what happens when you don't show up for your court date. In between hearings, because no one just sits there and watches anymore apparently, I had lawyers and staff come over and ask me questions and talk to me. A judge once, too, at the end of the day, but I knew him from before. What better way to get a good idea than to watch the real thing, right? It was very enlightening.

So what happens when you don't show up for a court date? I missed mine for a freaken 500$ parking ticket. Great idea, btw. I really appreciate it, and will put it to good use!

edited September 2018 1694 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

I have seen The Paper Chase recommended as a movie to show you what law school is “really like” though. Haven’t watched it yet, but on my to do list.

Interesting. Noted in my Pre-1L prepbook.

@"Leah M B" said:
    Oh as for the inspiration thing though...

Those netflix series are too heavy for my heart... lol. Wrongful convictions are a topic of interest to me, but every time I research it, the conclusion is simply that the system is too traditional, and that we need to vote the incompetent DAs out of office, but who the heck even votes for DAs these days? I lived in LA for 7 years in a pretty progressive circle, and didn't even know there were votes for DAs. Thinking about it depresses me. =(

edited September 2018 2689 karma

@Bamboosprout said:
    So what happens when you don't show up for a court date? I missed mine for a freaken 500$ parking ticket. Great idea, btw. I really appreciate it, and will put it to good use!

Well, they can either postpone, or just proceed without you (which pretty much means you're screwed). Since no one for the defense showed, and that was the second rescheduling for them, the judge proceeded on and then issued a warrant for their arrest after judgement so they could serve their time.

You might want to find out what happened with your case.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I can’t tell you how accurate it is, but For the People is great... also How to Get Away with Murder when they actually show the parts related to school and not murders lol.

@AudaciousRed said:
    You might want to find out what happened with your case.

I think I just lost the case. They just sent me a bigger ticket.

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    I can’t tell you how accurate it is, but For the People is great... also How to Get Away with Murder when they actually show the parts related to school and not murders lol.

Oh, interesting. Right, it's about school right? So is it a school drama?
    Edit: Started watching it. Do teachers actually bring their students into cases like that? That seems almost too hands-on.

• keepcalmandneuronkeepcalmandneuron Alum Member
    470 karma

Rewatching How to Get Away Murder Season 1 as we speak :) No, I don't think any sane person, let alone a crim law prof would bring their students or anyone else for that matter into cases like that XD

1694 karma

@keepcalmandneuron said:
    Rewatching How to Get Away Murder Season 1 as we speak :) No, I don't think any sane person, let alone a crim law prof would bring their students or anyone else for that matter into cases like that XD

I'm both disappointed and relieved. During the show, I was mentally preparing myself to do what the students were doing, so now, I'm actually more disappointed than relieved. Lol

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

I like watching the Netflix documentary on the urban crimal defense lawyer, Matthew Murdock. Additional note of inspiration is that he is disabled and his perseverance and determination while being blind is uplifting.

• xenonhexafluoroxenonhexafluoro Alum Member
    428 karma

Honestly, I find listening to appellate oral arguments really interesting and compelling (but I'm not sure I'd call it inspiring). Not sure about other federal circuits, but the ninth circuit court of appeals live streams at least some of its oral arguments on its youtube channel. Also, if you're interested in a particular field of law/case, listening to SCOTUS oral arguments on oyez.org is great.

1777 karma

I'm not really sure if the professors do that, but I think most schools have clinics.

2689 karma
    1694 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker nice. I like how he does pro-bono, takes down that big bald businessman, and helps with the drug problem in his city.

1694 karma

I'm not really sure if the professors do that, but I think most schools have clinics.

Any idea what clinics do? I always thought they were like small consulting booths set up at the library where people can come up for advice or something along those lines.

1694 karma

@xenonhexafluoro said:
    Honestly, I find listening to appellate oral arguments really interesting and compelling (but I'm not sure I'd call it inspiring). Not sure about other federal circuits, but the ninth circuit court of appeals live streams at least some of its oral arguments on its youtube channel. Also, if you're interested in a particular field of law/case, listening to SCOTUS oral arguments on oyez.org is great.

Thanks for the interesting share. The cases are fascinating, and I like how they make the cases easy to understand and give you little brain teaser questions. Quick question, where can I find the oral arguments, though?

• xenonhexafluoroxenonhexafluoro Alum Member
    edited September 2018 428 karma

@Bamboosprout The ninth circuit oral arguments can be found on their youtube or on their website at https://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/media/. The federal circuit can be found here: http://www.cafc.uscourts.gov/oral-argument-recordings. I'm not familiar with the other circuit courts. As for state courts, I'm only familiar with the California courts and as far as I know, they do not publish oral arguments. You can find SCOTUS oral arguments on oyez: https://www.oyez.org/cases/2018 (just search for a case).

@xenonhexafluoro said:
    @Bamboosprout The ninth circuit oral arguments can be found on their youtube or on their website at https://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/media/. The federal circuit can be found here: http://www.cafc.uscourts.gov/oral-argument-recordings. I'm not familiar with the other circuit courts. As for state courts, I'm only familiar with the California courts and as far as I know, they do not publish oral arguments. You can find SCOTUS oral arguments on oyez: https://www.oyez.org/cases/2018 (just search for a case).

Ahhh, ok. The cases I was looking at were too new to have oral recordings. The arguments didn't happen yet. Hahaha. Thank you!
    I'm listening to a few now, and it's very enlightening to hear law put into practice! Wow! It's weird to hear the supreme court using basic logic like A -> B, and C -> A, thus C -> B... yet they do.

• ad_coelumad_coelum Alum Member
    285 karma

From a criminal justice perspective, I love Colombo with Peter Falk. Such a classic! Witty detective who always catches the criminal at the end. He isn’t a lawyer but he uses superb deduction and logic to link the criminal to the crime. Helps you think outside the box like a detective, or lawyer, needs to do.

2689 karma

@Bamboosprout said:

Edit: Started watching it. Do teachers actually bring their students into cases like that? That seems almost too hands-on.

Well, I watched a 2L serve as the prosecutor in a case. And it wasn't her first time. Her mentor was present and watched her do it. She was a summer intern for the county attorney's office. I haven't seen How to Get Away With Murder, but I do know that they let students get some hands on practice in law school.

1777 karma

I think the clinics serve as resources for people who need lawyers but cannot afford to pay private attorney fees. Every school I have looked at seems to have different options from desk work to court representation. According to How To Get Away With Murder and Legally Blonde, a law school student can help represent a client in court if an attorney is there to back that student up. I literally know nothing else about this, including the legal jargon for it lol.

1694 karma

@AudaciousRed said:

@Bamboosprout said:

Well, I watched a 2L serve as the prosecutor in a case. And it wasn't her first time. Her mentor was present and watched her do it. She was a summer intern for the county attorney's office. I haven't seen How to Get Away With Murder, but I do know that they let students get some hands on practice in law school.

Oh wow. That sounds nerve wrecking to me. I wouldn't be sure if I could bear the burden of any mistakes.

1694 karma

@"aviated.wings" said:
    From a criminal justice perspective, I love Colombo with Peter Falk. Such a classic! Witty detective who always catches the criminal at the end. He isn’t a lawyer but he uses superb deduction and logic to link the criminal to the crime. Helps you think outside the box like a detective, or lawyer, needs to do.

Oh wow, that goes really back. Way before my time. Hahahaha

1694 karma

I think the clinics serve as resources for people who need lawyers but cannot afford to pay private attorney fees. Every school I have looked at seems to have different options from desk work to court representation. According to How To Get Away With Murder and Legally Blonde, a law school student can help represent a client in court if an attorney is there to back that student up. I literally know nothing else about this, including the legal jargon for it lol.

Ahhhh, I see. Clinics are confusing to me, because for some schools, it's a course that you have to enroll in, and for others, they're essentially student clubs that may or may not have staff oversight. I suppose it really just depends on the school.