Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I've commented before about pretending to be J.Y. when you approach the LSAT...

Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
in Off-topic 1091 karma

... so I recently decided to go all-in and buy the exact same pencils J.Y. uses in his live videos.

They arrived today so I had to try them out on a fresh PT. I just got my first 180.

It works guys, I promise!

Comments

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

Okay, where do you get them? Amazon? More info, please.

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

@tekken1225 said:
    Okay, where do you get them? Amazon? More info, please.

Amazon! They're called "Staedtler - Black Wopex Graphite Pencil". They come in a pack of 6 (with eraser etc.)

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Lol, congrats on your 180. I really hope to get there soon. Though... I think I'll have to mark this down as a coincidence, instead of any causal relationship. Hahahahaha. Or maybe it's a third factor, either dedication, or passion, that caused both circumstances.

1091 karma

@Bamboosprout said:
    Lol, congrats on your 180. I really hope to get there soon. Though... I think I'll have to mark this down as a coincidence, instead of any causal relationship. Hahahahaha. Or maybe it's a third factor, either dedication, or passion, that caused both circumstances.

Thanks. Hopefully I can strengthen my argument by getting a 180 on the real test next week.

And just stay calm and collected and you’ll get one yourself. This one felt surprisingly similar to other mid-170 tests I’ve had, except this time I got to the end and realised I’d had time to check everything in all 4 sections. Felt more to do with perfect timing and no silly mistakes than anything else.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@"Rigid Designator" said:

@Bamboosprout said:

Thanks. Hopefully I can strengthen my argument by getting a 180 on the real test next week.

And just stay calm and collected and you’ll get one yourself. This one felt surprisingly similar to other mid-170 tests I’ve had, except this time I got to the end and realised I’d had time to check everything in all 4 sections. Felt more to do with perfect timing and no silly mistakes than anything else.

Good luck! I like how you use 'realise' instead of 'realize'. I've been converted to the American spelling. You're taking it next week?

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

First of all congrats! lol I can't imagine scoring a 180. I'm curious about what you posted previously though. I also started to talk my way through problems in a way that mimics what JY does. Seems to force me to focus on the argument itself and also helps me paraphrase and pay attention to relationships in RC.

• 109 karma

I agree with the last comment. When I read down answers (e.g. in Weaken LR questions) that have nothing to do with the relationship between conclusion and premise, or it focuses on conclusion/premise, I mimic his "What? Get out of here. Out, Out, Out! This has nothing to do with what we are being asked to perform." It has greatly helped me improved my performance in these questions.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma

Ugh! SHHHH, you're giving away the secret...!

(but really, good job)

• keepcalmandneuronkeepcalmandneuron Alum Member
    470 karma

That moment when your name is JY, think like a JY, but can't score like a JY (yet).
    RIP

*female version of JY passing through

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Congrats on the score @"Rigid Designator" ! I just bought a new pack of Ticonderogas, but maybe I'll take the plunge for some Staedtlers before test day!!!

edited September 2018 1091 karma

@Bamboosprout said:
    You're taking it next week?

Yeah, the international administration.

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:
    First of all congrats! lol I can't imagine scoring a 180. I'm curious about what you posted previously though. I also started to talk my way through problems in a way that mimics what JY does. Seems to force me to focus on the argument itself and also helps me paraphrase and pay attention to relationships in RC.

I don't really know how to explain it but it definitely does help. I got a mid-high 160 score this February and didn't touch the LSAT again until June. I didn't look at anything on 7Sage. But I spent all the time feeling that I knew what to do, but that I just wasn't putting it in to practice (bad timing, panicking etc.)

So I spent all the down-time just thinking about things on TV or in the media like you hear JY do in explanation videos. I started prep again with a cold, fresh PT and set a personal best of 176. Literally all I'd done was chill and try and go through a test as though I was JY and knew what I was doing. I suppose it's a bit like faking it till you make it. Since then I've been a bit up and down but still much better than before. For me it's mostly about being calm, thorough and purposeful. The more I try and 'force it', the worse I do. Which is why I think the whole 'pretend to be JY' charade does something. I feel less like I'm forcing things and more like I'm just going with the flow of the test.

@keepcalmandneuron said:
    That moment when your name is JY, think like a JY, but can't score like a JY (yet).
    RIP

*female version of JY passing through

You'll get there soon! I believe in you!

@drbrown2 said:
    Congrats on the score @"Rigid Designator" ! I just bought a new pack of Ticonderogas, but maybe I'll take the plunge for some Staedtlers before test day!!!

They have a very different texture to regular pencils but I must say I like them.