Thoughts on Kavanaugh-Ford hearings

rnwangumarnwanguma Alum Member
in Off-topic 160 karma

LSATers,

As I'm sure all of you are studying extremely hard, I would expect that many of you haven't heard all that much about the Congressional hearings on Dr. Christine Ford's allegations against Judge Brett Kavanaugh. For those of you that have, as prospective law school students, what are your thoughts on them? (Dr. Ford's testimony, Judge Kavanaugh's fitness for the Supreme Court, the way sexual assault allegations are handled going forward, the bitter partisan divide, etc.) All points of view are welcome!

Comments

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited September 2018 2531 karma

I think it hinges on the necessity or importance of corroborating witnesses or evidence. The lack of corroborating evidence in this case makes it hard to prosecute, however the general trend in cases like this is going away from the need for corroborating witnesses or evidence. I am guessing that most who watch are going to side on their own political lines/preconceptions as the tangible evidence is simply not there to confirm or deny Kavanaugh's innocence. (pending the FBI investigation)

• rnwangumarnwanguma Alum Member
    160 karma

I agree 100% with all of this!

• Tatyana L.Tatyana L. Alum Member
    edited September 2018 244 karma

I don’t think he knows what “falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus” or whatever that senator says. “You tell it better” is a 2nd grade move.
    That surprises me the most. The rest of the hearing he was so careful to avoid even a chance of perjury, but suddenly he makes such highly dubious statements as “I put that in the high school yearbook because I respected her so much” or that he never drank so much he had a fuzzy memory of the events... that all just screams of perjury which is a disqualifying event even if he never touched Dr Ford.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

I was amused by his comments about getting into Yale Law School without any connections despite his having attended a prestigious prep school in D.C and being raised by a Judge and Attorney.

• OneFortyDotSixOneFortyDotSix Alum Member
    634 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:
    I was amused by his comments about getting into Yale Law School without any connections despite his having attended a prestigious prep school in D.C and being raised by a Judge and Attorney.

Off topic but none of that is sufficient to conclude he had connections that helped him get into YLS

• Nabintou-1Nabintou-1 Alum Member
    410 karma

I felt inspired by Dr. Ford's courage, vulnerability, and transparency. And disturbed, to say the least, by Kavanaugh's aggressive (sometimes violent even) tone and demeanor. The latter was very telling, along with the direct attacks (tone, sarcasm, dismissiveness, etc.) that he chose to make toward some of the senators. All of which made it extremely hard to believe that should he be confirmed, he would be (able to be) the "independent judge" he's repeatedly claim he is/would continue to be.

Re: getting into YLS, I lol'ed. Come on now.

• @Ohnoeshalpme said:
    I think it hinges on the necessity or importance of corroborating witnesses or evidence. The lack of corroborating evidence in this case makes it hard to prosecute, however the general trend in cases like this is going away from the need for corroborating witnesses or evidence. I am guessing that most who watch are going to side on their own political lines/preconceptions as the tangible evidence is simply not there to confirm or deny Kavanaugh's innocence. (pending the FBI investigation)

I really hate that this topic is on here. Politics, partisanship, and general anger on both sides are EVERYWHERE at every given moment in our lives (esp with social media) and I really appreciate 7Sage being an escape from that.

That being said, the key phrase you used it "makes it hard to prosecute". Judge Kavanaugh is not being prosecuted. He is not the defendant of a criminal case. He is interviewing for a very important job. People fail to get hired for much less than what is occurring in this situation and we all will experience not getting a job because of something way more benign than accused attempted rape from a seemingly credible witness.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 770 karma

@"Michaela.Pratt1" said:

I really hate that this topic is on here. Politics, partisanship, and general anger on both sides are EVERYWHERE at every given moment in our lives (esp with social media) and I really appreciate 7Sage being an escape from that.

I agree. I really wish this thread/topic wasn't on here. I think it sets a dangerous precedent to bring modern politics/partisanship into a forum like this. My experience from other forums is invariably, these kinds of topics degenerate into arguments, anger, people insisting only their views are correct, etc.
    Maybe administrators can take note.

This discussion has been closed.