LSAT Addendum - What counts as "significant" score difference?

jnw7tpjnw7tp Alum Member

I went to an UMich information session last week, and she raised an interesting point I hadn't previously considered regarding writing an LSAT addendum for my application. Michigan strongly suggests you write an LSAT addendum for scores with a 6+ points difference. My first LSAT (2 years ago) was a mid-160s while my most recent LSAT just barely beats that 6+ improvement threshold. I'll write the addendum for Michigan, but it got me thinking about whether I need to write an addendum for other schools that request it for "significant differences" in test scores.

Does a 7pt improvement meet the threshold to submit an LSAT addendum if schools don't specifically state the number of points they consider to be a difference? The reason for the difference is primarily - I studied harder, didn't start a new job 5 days before test day, and was much more focused this time around. Interested to hear thoughts.

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    edited October 2018 5320 karma

I think so. Just keep it brief. I submitted one to each of my schools since my scores were pretty wonkey (159>164>174)

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

I just don't see the point because you either had more time to study or studied harder and adcoms would know that.

5320 karma

I just don't see the point because you either had more time to study or studied harder and adcoms would know that.

I agree. Several Dean's have said they want one whenever you break a new score band, though.

• jnw7tpjnw7tp Alum Member
    23 karma

@Emily2122 Agreed, that's why I'd never even thought about writing one prior to hearing the Michigan comment. It seems like a very grey area, but it sounds like it may be better to err on the side of caution and submit an addendum just in case.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I've seen some even say 4+ points is addendum worthy. Basically like @NotMyName said, being in a different score band. It doesn't have to be elaborate. Since yours were so far apart, I might do an addendum (or sometimes there's just a text box to fill in) and state that you took extra time to study and prepare before your next take.

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

It’s unfortunate that UMich has that GPA/LSAT prompt in the optional essay section stating only write on 2 out of 8 prompts. each prompt is a 1 page max. I have a pretty standard gpa addendum that is a paragraph and needs to be sent. My lsat score increased by 8 points because I studied for an extra 9 months. Nothing that interesting. Also, retaking in November to try to increase further. A bummer if I need to write something about that. And not just to Michigan, to all schools?

There are some great writing prompts. I wish I could write on at least one. But if they want a lsat addendum, can I not write on any? I’ll have two paragraphs instead of two pages talking about my future career goals, diversity, why Michigan, etc.

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

@Emily2122 said:

Sometimes there are mitigating circumstances that need to be explained. It’s not a black/white issue of studying longer or harder, which is precisely why schools want the addendum. Maybe OPs 7 point increase is because they worked harder, but it could be because their dog died the day of their first take...

Also if a school tells you to write one then write one. If they say explain an X point difference in an addendum, do it. The fastest way to get rejected from a school is not following their instructions.

• ecarr_12ecarr_12 Live Member
    187 karma

@NotMyName not on the topic of addendums, but how did you make that jump ? Any discussion threads you can direct me to where you talk about your method perhaps

5320 karma

@ecarr_12

@NotMyName not on the topic of addendums, but how did you make that jump ? Any discussion threads you can direct me to where you talk about your method perhaps

The 164>174 wasn't a jump... just underperformed the 164. I'm doing an AMA in December if you're interested!

• edited October 2018 534 karma

Interesting. Wasn't planning on writing an addendum but now I'm not sure. I'd only heard from admissions officers that you need to explain a score decrease or a score that is low and doesn't reflect your abilities. If you got a score that was on-par for your skills at the time (with that number changing as time increases), do you still have to write one?

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

I'm writing an addendum for poor academic performance 20 years ago. Would this score increase addendum go in the same addendum or in a separate one?

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@NotMyName said:
    I think so. Just keep it brief. I submitted one to each of my schools since my scores were pretty wonkey (159>164>174)

I'm curious. How did you explain it?

5320 karma

@Bamboosprout

In boring fashion. Just the facts. I said that I had prepared for my 159 but redoubled my efforts following that--improving my study methods and eventually tutoring students. The 164 was the result of a personal matter despite scoring in the170s consistently leading into it. The 174 is the most accurate representation of my ability.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@Louislepauvre said:
    I'm writing an addendum for poor academic performance 20 years ago. Would this score increase addendum go in the same addendum or in a separate one?

Separate addendum.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@NotMyName said:
    @Bamboosprout

In boring fashion. Just the facts. I said that I had prepared for my 159 but redoubled my efforts following that--improving my study methods and eventually tutoring students. The 164 was the result of a personal matter despite scoring in the170s consistently leading into it. The 174 is the most accurate representation of my ability.

Hmmmmm, I see. That makes sense. Thank you! I didn't know what a standard one should sound like.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    edited October 2018 3279 karma

@NotMyName said:
    The 174 is the most accurate representation of my ability.

Preface, I'm not saying that statement is wrong or that you were wrong in providing in an addendum. But if the schools cared about what score was the best indicator of your 1L grades, why would they believe your word over LSAC data which says the best indicator for repeat takers is the average of their scores?

I get using an addendum to rule out a score because of circumstances, but I think that's independent of "I studied more" addendums.

5320 karma

I used the addendum to provide context on my GPA and multiple LSATs. They are free to disregard my context, but I offer it nonetheless because it can only help and most schools ask for it anyway in the case of score increases.