Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opinion Question- Am I Making a Mistake?

rkathleenrkathleen Member
edited October 2018 in General 72 karma

Hi all,

I am looking for some feedback.

I am currently in a routine of taking an LSAT every Saturday and Sunday morning, as I work full time and can't take it during the week. I write in November. I have been consistently getting 163 (my target score) and feel overall good/excited about the exam.

Now- my sister is giving birth and she lives an hour away by flight. I booked a ticket to go this upcoming Friday to Monday (November 2-5). I plan to take an LSAT Saturday and Sunday when I'm there but it will be in my aunts house, not in real conditions (like not at a library).

Am I making a mistake by switching my schedule up this close to the exam, as it'll only leave 1 weekend to study after? Or will a break help?

Looking for some feedback if I should cancel the flight or just go.

*** I am going at end of November if it helps too.

Help....
  1. What Should I Do?22 votes
    1. Cancel the Flight
      13.64%
    2. Go See Family
      86.36%

Comments

• Waffle23Waffle23 Alum Member
    603 karma

This is a bit tough to answer, but I think if you could squeeze in study time while you're traveling to see your family, that would be the ideal situation. You seem like you're in a good position already to get your target score on test day. I don't think a 2-3 day break in a weekend routine would drastically shake up what you've already learned or honed so far.

If it makes you feel more comfortable, you could also do an extra bit of prep (like timed individual sections) in the days leading up to the weekend to help reassure yourself you're making the most of your time.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

Please don't prioritize the LSAT over the birth of a family member...

• msk12345msk12345 Alum Member
    247 karma

You should go. I cannot imagine telling my sister "I'm sorry I missed the birth of your daughter, but I really needed to keep the routine I was taking practice LSATs consistent."

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Might be useful to take a PT at your Aunt's house like you were planning. Maybe something will distract you that hasn't distracted you yet and you can deal with it there instead of during the real thing. Since you're traveling just take 1 PT and review it hard when you have free time. Go see your niece/nephew!

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    edited October 2018 1694 karma

I think the two options aren't mutually exclusive... See your family, but study in the most consistent way you can.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I think if this one weekend is going to make or break test day, then you probably aren't ready to take the real thing. Definitely go see your family.

• cdaddario2cdaddario2 Member
    362 karma

Your dedication to the LSAT is admirable. I humbly suggest you take the trip and fit some study time in and around your family visit. One weekend won't change the outcome of your test. If you decide to stay put and study, is there a chance your body will be studying but your mind will be with your sister? If so, what's the point in missing a memory you cannot get back? Especially if your study time is diminished because you are not fully focused.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Yes, voting for meeting the baby ASAP. It's an honor to be their aunt or uncle, see parents meet the grandchild, and be there with your sister. The LSAT will still be there. It's great that you're so focused, and I'm confident you'll devise ways to still study during this exciting time for your family.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

LSAT is not more important than your actual life. Sounds like you have studied well and are pretty prepared. Missing 1 PT won't change that. If you do want to PT while you're there, that's fine. But don't miss out on seeing your sister and the baby because of your study schedule. Life things come first.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    edited October 2018 770 karma

It's just a practice test, I thought the question was going to be about the real test on Nov 17.

Holy crap... I thought I was being super gunner about my study routine/regimen when I declined to come out to a bar on Sunday evening to watch the World Series, so I could study.

But I see others on 7Sage blow me out of the water, haha.