Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAC writing section fee

Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
in General 8392 karma

Wow, LSAC is adding another fee! Lol. I was just playing around on the site, thinking about if I wanted to take a last ditch shot at another LSAT for scholarship purposes, and saw this when you click through the June registration:

Notice starting with June 2019 LSAT: The writing section will be separate from the LSAT starting with the June 3, 2019 test. This change will result in greater convenience and flexibility for test takers as the testing date will be shorter, the essay will be typed rather than handwritten, and it can be completed at a time and place of the test takers' choosing. By registering for the June LSAT, candidates will be automatically eligible to complete the writing section as of the date of the LSAT and up to one year thereafter. Candidates are only required to have one essay on file to complete their Law School Reports. Essays completed during previous LSAT administrations will still be valid for use in Law School Reports. There will be an additional fee of $15 for each administration of LSAT Writing.

The way I read this, I think that the LSAT Writing section will be included in your registration fee once with the new method (doing it on your own time after the test), and then if you take the LSAT again but opt for another writing section, it will be an additional $15 fee. Good news: you only have to do it once! Bad news: personally, I don't enjoy the thought of basically writing yet another application essay. The standard will likely be higher and schools will probably now pay much more attention to them, since you aren't doing it at the very end of a grueling test under timed conditions. Now, you will really have to step up your game and write a good essay. Also, of course LSAC found another way to add a fee hahah.

(Ok but now that I am re-reading it, I can't tell if the writing section is included in the June registration, or if you do have to pay the $15 to take it. Not totally clear to me. But, be aware of the additional fee!)

Comments

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

When I signed up for July, there was no mention or add on for a writing portion. I wonder if this just means each additional attempt will cost 15? Say, you have an old written one you want to replace. $15 and you could.

• kpj744___kpj744___ Alum Member
    231 karma

I read it as starting in June, when you register for the test, you will have from the date OF the test (so same day) up to one year after you take it, to do the writing portion. I believe that would mean you could do it that day if you wanted it, but it won't be a part of the booklet anymore. Also, by doing it that way, if you do take the test again in the future, if you like how you did on the writing sample the first time you never have to do it again ...unlike how it is now. Just my two cents on this, however. Lastly, yes, every time you take the writing sample an additional time from what would have been with your first test, you'd pay. I think. I wonder if they're going to consider dropping the cost of the entire LSAT then, if they're taking a section away from it as not-required-this-day?? It's a bit odd how they'd figure all that out. In some ways, I see this as a win for future test takers -- so you have to do it once, but if you do the test again you don't have to keep doing one.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@AudaciousRed said:
    When I signed up for July, there was no mention or add on for a writing portion. I wonder if this just means each additional attempt will cost 15? Say, you have an old written one you want to replace. $15 and you could.

I think that is how I read it too. But it's not really clearly worded. My interpretation though is that the writing portion is included, but after one it will cost an additional $15 to do another? Like if you take it in June, you won't pay. But if you re-take the LSAT in September, you can either forgo the writing section or pay $15 to do the writing section again.

But when I go back and read just that last sentence - it only says there will be an additional fee of $15 for for each administration of the writing section. Which makes me think... maybe you only pay at the time that you take it, but you have to pay $15 even on the upcoming June/July exams. It says it is available after your testing date, so maybe they don't charge you until you do it.

8392 karma

@kpj744___ I see it more as a sneaky way of raising the LSAT cost. The test is the same fee ($190, which is bonkers), but any time you do the writing section, you have to pay $15. You only have to do it once though. And it sounds like if you already have one of the old writing sections done, you aren't required to do it at all. (Though obviously, those are not as good of actual writing samples.)

• kpj744___kpj744___ Alum Member
    edited January 2019 231 karma

@"Leah M B" right, I got that, too. So weird.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Yeah, I am kind of seeing it the same way. Once you have one on file, they'll probably charge you for any additional ones. But who knows. Guess we'll know for sure in a few months...

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Would a person still have to pay the $15 if they complete it at the test center on test day?

8392 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Would a person still have to pay the $15 if they complete it at the test center on test day?

I don't think that is an option. It will now be something you do at home, just typing up a Word doc and submitting it, basically. I don't think the thing about the $15 fee is very clear though. It sounds like you will only have to do it once at most, and possibly not at all if you already have older, written essays on file.

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

@"Leah M B" Leah, how would taking a June test help with scholarship negotiation? One wouldn’t get the score back until June 27. I believe many second seat deposit deadlines are July 1. It seems like by the time you get your score back it could be too late to negotiate. I’d love to know your thoughts. It seems more helpful for waitlists.

8392 karma

@Nov2018Taker I'm definitely no expert in that area haha. I think that it would likely be better for WL than for scholarship negotiations. Once deposit deadlines are passed, you do lose any real leverage. I have heard of people getting more scholarship money over the summer though. After deposit deadlines pass, the school starts to really know who will be attending and who won't. There is potential for some scholarship money to be freed up and it never hurts to let admissions know that you would really like to be considered for additional money if there is any. I would think a higher LSAT would only help your case, but there may not be any money available. And as mentioned, you have no real leverage. But from my experience, admissions deans have been very understanding and want to work with students as much as they can to make attending school less of a financial burden.

Basically, if you don't ask, then they would almost certainly not just offer you additional money. But if you let them know that you are very excited to attend but are concerned about money and would appreciate any extra help if funds free up... well there's a small chance they could toss some extra cash your way, even over the summer.

But again, take this all with a grain of salt. I have extremely limited experience in this area haha. All I really know is that I have heard of people being offered extra money over the summer, and deans offering to keep people in mind if there is money later.

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

Thanks for the response!

• Do you think they will release more information about the "new" writing section? I don't like the uncertainty.