Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAC: March LSAT Canceled due to Coronavirus

J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
edited March 2020 in General 14039 karma

Hi everyone, we've just been told by LSAC that the March LSAT is cancelled due to the coronavirus.

Future LSAT administrations have not been canceled yet.

If this affects you, please let us know (studentservice at 7sage.com). We will extend your course for +1 month.

Full text of email:
All of us at LSAC are saddened by the COVID-19 outbreaks affecting so many countries and communities around the world. Our hearts go out to all of the individuals, families, and communities that have been affected. We are working with global, national, and local officials to comply with local health directives and guidance, while striving to address the needs of test takers and schools.

Due to the growing COVID-19 emergency, LSAC has made the difficult decision to cancel the March LSAT administration worldwide, consistent with the advice of public health authorities. Candidates will be rescheduled for the next test administration in their area and offered additional scheduling options should public health authorities continue to limit travel and in-person interactions later this spring. LSAC is working closely with its member law schools to help assure a smooth enrollment process for candidates who may still be planning to apply for fall 2020 admission.

Cancelling the March test is a difficult step, but we believe it is the most responsible course of action to protect test takers, testing personnel, and the broader community in a fair and equitable manner that does not result in disparities in access to testing for vulnerable populations or candidates from different regions. As you know, public health authorities are urging (and increasingly mandating) immediate proactive steps by businesses, organizations, and individuals to limit travel and interactions to slow the spread of the disease and help our health care systems keep pace with demand that could otherwise be overwhelming.

We are taking swift action to try to ease the impact of this cancellation and to support all law school candidates during this crisis. We know the candidates you advise may have many questions, so I want to let you know what we are doing, including the following steps:

All March registrants in the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands have been automatically registered for the April 25 test in the community where they were registered for the March test. All March registrants in other regions have been automatically registered for the June test in their locations. We know that with widespread university closures, travel restrictions, and other disruptions caused by this crisis that some candidates may wish to change locations. Our staff are available and eager to help; candidates who prefer a different date or location, or any other change, should please contact our Candidate Services team at LSACinfo@LSAC.org or 215.968.1001.

While none of us can predict how the COVID-19 virus situation will evolve, we are hopeful that the April and June tests will be able to go forward as planned. We will continuously monitor the situation and provide updates as necessary.

Given the uncertainty of this evolving crisis, we are also aggressively exploring options to administer the LSAT in alternative ways that will best protect the health and well-being of test takers and the broader community. These alternatives could include secure remote-proctored tests, an additional spring/summer administration, and other options that would meet evolving public health guidelines.

We are working with our member law schools that are still accepting applications for fall 2020 enrollment to help expand flexibility on deadlines for their candidates. We applaud our member schools’ support of candidates and are confident that our admission community will continue to respond to this crisis with compassion and agility. We are also supporting our member schools as they move from in-person to on-line support of admitted candidates as the enrollment cycle for fall 2020 concludes.

Thank you for your support, and the support you provide to students and candidates. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have questions.

Comments

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Man i have more time to prepare but i rlly wanted to take this test lool

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

This is frustrating but understandable and certainly the right call. Still, it sucks having to completely alter your study plan when you are feeling ready and confident to take the test. Hopefully LSAC will explore alternative testing options for April, perhaps remote proctoring or making any in-person sites conducive to proper social distancing measures.

• dcstyles51dcstyles51 Alum Member
    edited March 2020 320 karma

Out of curiosity, has something like this happened in the past where they had to cancel a test worldwide? If so, what did they end up doing? What I'm worried about is the idea that several tests are going to be canceled or rescheduled because of the concerns for the coronavirus.

Also, what exactly does remote testing centers mean? Is it like an online test or something? I would love to hear if anyone has any ideas or knows of previous events such as this and what might happen.

• hcdbsu24hcdbsu24 Alum Member
    103 karma

So I used my July 2019 freebie to register for the March test. Now that I am automatically moved to the April exam, what happens if that gets canceled? Will LSAC allow the people who used the "freebie" essentially from the July test to use it later than their mandated April 2020 cut off? If anyone has information please let me know. I am stressing.

Stay safe everyone!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Remote testing sounds like maybe it's still being determined, but maybe it's with virtual proctors. However, not everyone has the technology for this so there would likely need to be another way to do this as well, such as appointments at test centers.

• Manik PanicManik Panic Core Member
    edited March 2020 111 karma

Those Godless Pangolins Strike Again!!!

More on topic: I thought about remote testing or maybe changing test centres to smaller groups, maybe that's possible maybe not. It seems quite possible where I'm at in Canada... with not that many people and a MASSIVE land mass, but if universities are closed and refuse access, that seems to go above LSAC's jurisdiction, I'm guessing. And also, there needs to be cooperation on LSAC and testing centre's parts. Also maybe it will be difficult finding people to proctor.

I'm sure in the end it will all work out fine. I hope no one panics too much. I've been there. I kind of am now, but I'm sure it will all be fine. Anyways take care.

• mortgagemortgage Member
    37 karma

Tomorrow's February test score notifications are going to hit much heavier now. I was looking forward to sitting for the test 13 days after getting smacked with that score.

• seh136seh136 Member
    22 karma

Was anyone planning on applying to Harvard Law's JDP program? The application due date is May 1st and I was planning on taking the March LSAT. If April gets cancelled too, so many students are not going to be able to apply...

• This was the last test for Vanderbilt and the one I bought 7sage for :(

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited March 2020 13286 karma

@thelefthandofbobanmagdonovic said:
    This was the last test for Vanderbilt and the one I bought 7sage for :(

I would email Vanderbilt admissions. Law schools certainly understand that this virus is unprecedented and having rather extreme impacts on normality. More likely then not admissions wants you to put your health first and the test second. They will likely be able to work something out with you.

I'm a 2L at Northwestern and like many other schools, we are fully online now. Law schools are well tuned to this sad new reality.

• TlayyyyyyTlayyyyyy Alum Member
    80 karma

This was going to be my first LSAT to apply to a few schools still accepting applications for Fall 2020. Will this affect negatively to my admission? Any advice? I've emailed some schools and all they say is: we won't review your application until your LSAT.....

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14039 karma

Updated original post:
    If this affects you, please let us know (studentservice at 7sage.com). We will extend your course for +1 month.

• MambaMentality93MambaMentality93 Live Member
    503 karma

I really hope they'll cancel the April LSAT as well!

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14039 karma

@KingTChalla Hahaha, I see what you're doing!