Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stressed and Confused

shannon_beaman1shannon_beaman1 Alum Member
in General 157 karma

Hey everyone, so ever since the quarantine my studying habits have fallen off quite a bit. I used to study for about 4 hours a day, but during the quarantine I have fallen off the wagon, sometimes not even studying at all some days. I can’t help but feel like I’ve forgotten everything I’ve learned so far in the CC, not to mention I had already used a different course prior to switching to 7sage and completed all of those lessons. Should I start completely over with the CC? I am nearly 100 hours in, but as mentioned previously, the last few things I’ve covered have been done inconsistently. Or should I just keep moving forward and trust that I remember everything that I’ve covered so far? I apologize in advance for such a dramatic post, I am just feeling like I’ve messed up big time for taking such a long break and am in desperate need of any advice on what to do moving forward.

Thank you all very much for any help.

Comments

• Kaluza - Klein TheoryKaluza - Klein Theory Core Member
    105 karma

Good Morning,

I have also felt the same way after taking my Jan. LSAT i didnt do very well and overstudied i pushed myself beyond the brink and stopped studying for 2 weeks or so. The way i found my motivation is that i told myself is that this is a test of my character and this test can be overcome. My advice is tell yourself you will study today and stick to it after that write down a regimen that you will hold yourself regardless of what is going in your life. You have not forgotten anything it is still there believe in yourself as i believe in your abilitiy. Review anything you feel as if you need to and jump right into it and while at first it my deter to continue to study but push yourself and stick to it. Mental Discipline is key to success and don't stray off this regimen. Find the motivation in yourself to continue becasue after all a Law Degree has an infinite amount of opportunities. What i do to keep myself responsible is to create an accountable mirror where every morning i see that mirror and tell myself i will hold myself responsible and even if i didnt study today i will study tomm. I hope this helps please dont be detered remind yourself why you started this journey and bring out the fire. Best of luck in your future endeavors

Regards,
    Hugo Espinoza

• OldLadyKOldLadyK Alum Member
    edited April 2020 396 karma

You are not alone, @shannon_beaman1. It's so hard to stay motivated in these very stressful and uncertain times. I know that I miss being able to blow off steam and relax by going to the gym or hanging with friends, and the uncertainty of when things will (if ever) get back to normal is scary. Having a goal and something to work towards can be a saving grace in times like these. Start slow and don't push yourself to do too much too fast. If you can only get an hour of studying done in a day to start, then that's okay. If you feel like you need a day or two off, take it. Hopefully you'll find your way into a routine and with time, be back on track. Be kind to yourself and good luck!

• dazedandconfused-1dazedandconfused-1 Member
    258 karma

Hey @shannon_beaman1 , I certainly share your sentiment of feeling stressed and confused. This whole quarantine/covid-19 situation put everything up in the air, and it's difficult to focus on a test that requires 120% of your brain power. I'm a little bit neurotic in the sense that I always feel pressured if I'm not doing something that relates to LSAT and that if I neglect LSAT for even a little bit, I'll fall off the wagon. But a few weeks ago, I felt absolutely burnt out and decided to take a few days off to regroup, and those few days off gave me the perspective that was clouded by the blinds of my neuroticism lol. NASCAR racers need to get their wheels and engine oil changed after every 50 or so laps, and that's what we should do as well.
    Want to echo what I read online re: LSAT - we're not the victims. The LSAT didn't force us to take the test; rather, we chose to take the LSAT, and shifting our mindset from that of a passive object to that of an active subject could be helpful :) sorry I droned on and on, but it's something I'm struggling with too, so we're all right there with ya!

• lizzogonzolizzogonzo Member
    628 karma

Hey, the same thing happened to me back in October when I started studying. Personal stuff was happening and I just fell out of the good rhythm I had made. I am not sure when you are planning on taking the exam, but it's definitely not too late to get back on it. I personally don't think you have to completely finish the CC, it's there as a starter and as practice, but the best practice you can get is to take PTs, over and over and over again.

This is at least, what I've been doing, and it might not be what's suited for you. But I can at least assure you that taking accidental breaks like that is nothing to feel bad about because I'm sure most people studying for the LSAT have done so. And gotta take it easy on yourself, especially during a global pandemic.

Some things that helped me is creating a timeline with specific goals (how many PTs I want to take, by when I should be done with practice and just doing full on tests, etc). I also just remember to keep the mentality that everyday you study is gonna slowly chip away at things. I also told myself that it's not gonna be perfect the first time back so to just get the worst part over with. Haha anyway, I hope you relate to any of what I just said and that something here helps. We're all getting through it together, good luck!

• keepgoing.keepgoing. Member
    365 karma

I agree, it has been very very very challenging. I feel guilty for not studying when I try to take a break but I have been studying over a long period of time and taken numerous breaks and reviewed sections of the CC if I felt like I had 'forgotten' and continued. Here and there, I took PT's to see my weaknesses and what I needed to review in the CC - just depends on how far you are into it i guess. Anyways, i hope you can find your rhythm again, as we are all trying to do! You are not alone.

• shannon_beaman1shannon_beaman1 Alum Member
    157 karma

To everyone who has replied, I just wanna say thank you from the bottom of my heart. I hate to sound like a crybaby, I just didn’t know what else to do but talk to people who are going through the same thing. I wish the best for all of you and hope everyone taking on the LSAT achieves their goal. God Bless, and stay safe!

• 414 karma

I really feel you. I was not concentrating well when I sat down to study, and even while staring at the questions my mind was dosing off. I decided to take a solid week off, and I am on my second day back at studying. I’m glad that I took a week off because I feel a lot more motivated to study.
    Having a specific checklist of things you wanna get through really helps. I also now put my phone away in a separate room so that I won’t be tempted to check it every ten minutes. Another thing is having a study buddy who can keep you accountable. If I have a BR session or a drill session scheduled with a buddy, it is a lot easier for me to get to it because I don’t wanna leave my buddy hanging. Just know that you are not alone and you got this!

• 414 karma

Also if I was in your shoes, I would not completely repeat the CC, but just skim through the concepts really quickly. Since the 7Sage CC is not your first contact with LSAT I am sure that you know more than you think you do. I would try going through a couple questions in each LR question type and rewatching some of the videos just to refresh the mind!

• SilentEagleSilentEagle Alum Member
    100 karma

I would say that it makes sense to take a week off. It can be challenging to continue to study for so long. Take some time off and don't think about the LSAT at all. Then, when you come back set a strict study schedule. Make sure you put in breaks.

• ilovethelsatilovethelsat Member
    348 karma

This is totally normal, especially during these uncertain times. I echo what everyone else said, and I also want to emphasize that it's really important not to carry over that "falling off the wagon" feeling to the next day. In other words, let's say it's Monday and you're supposed to study but can't find the motivation. So you try to push through and end up studying productively for only one hour. Do your best, push through, but remember that Tuesday is a new day. Start over and try to get that one hour to two hours. But let's say Tuesday you don't study AT ALL. At this point, you're panicking and freaking out and thinking about how you're really starting to slack. Catch yourself thinking all of that and leave those thoughts behind because Wednesday is a new day. So take that Wednesday to try and get back on track. Essentially what I'm talking about is perseverance - you keep going forward, no matter what. No matter how difficult. If you need to take a whole week or two off, do it. I promise you that if you went through the CC thoroughly and actually paid attention to it (which it sounds like you were), you won't forget it. This stuff isn't conducive to memorization - you have to internalize it. That's harder to do than simply to memorize, but it's also less likely you'll forget it. I would recommend that you go back through the CC and review any notes you made throughout, any starred sections, anything challenging that you encountered, etc. Set aside one day, maybe 2-3 hours or so, to just focus on reviewing what you think you forgot (which you probably didn't forget). Go over the last few lessons you mentioned you did inconsistently. Don't overwhelm yourself with any new information until you've reviewed whatever it is you thought needed review. I'm willing to bet that once you go back and review, you'll see that the mental bookmarks you inevitably made throughout your consistent studying before will jog your memory. In terms of getting back on the wagon, like everyone said above, ease into it. Don't start with 4 hours a day - start with ONE and then build up to it slowly. Also, find small things to motivate yourself throughout the day. Maybe reward yourself with your favorite meal or a treat or something. Maybe give yourself a day off to virtually connect with friends. Listen to your favorite instrumental soundtracks when studying. Etc etc. And finally, remember that this is a challenging time for everyone and it's okay to give yourself a break. I always cringe when people say "don't be so hard on yourself" lol because I always take that to mean "don't push yourself hard" or "it's okay to slack." But honestly, it's about striking a balance, and part of striking that balance is allowing for inevitable times when you LOSE balance and knowing how to deal with that. Your reaction to losing balance/falling off the wagon is a million times more important than losing the balance itself. It's all about how you deal with it. Hate to be cliche, but it's not about getting knocked down, but rather choosing to get up when you [inevitably] do [get knocked down].

• sassysydthekidsassysydthekid Core Member
    34 karma

I've absolutely been feeling this and I think it is just important to be kind to yourself and give yourself some grace. Like everyone else said, taking breaks is key. I've found myself really motivated to study during weird times when I wasn't planning on studying (like at night on a Saturday) and I've jumped on those opportunities and tried to focus then. Similarly, there are times when I know my brain is foggy and I'm just not "in" it so instead of sitting there trying to slog through for hours, I've gone for a run or said f-it and stopped for the day. I then do things I enjoy or prioritize random tasks and errands that I was planning on doing later in the week. Then, when the time comes later in the week, I literally have nothing else to do or even think about except to study. Hope this helps! Just know you're definitely not alone. I have definitely shed a few tears as I struggle through the same thing :)

• lilianjuslan8lilianjuslan8 Live Member
    14 karma

After few days taking a break from studying (because of foggy focus and giving the current times we're all going through "Covid-19") I'm getting back here to resume where I left off, then to come across the first comment in this page, leading me to read everyone else’s comments and the support you guys are giving one another! I just want to say that it feels great to see others going on the same path motivated and are there for each other. I'm going through it all, literally.
    And so happy to read others’ experiences, tips, etc. Because it is a very challenging time now, and I hope we all get through this gracefully and successfully! Amen.
    I’m hoping to come across a motivated, kind, supportive, and helpful group of people in law school. And for students in law school to be this way towards each other, and not the negative things we hear about students competing and not helping each other out, etc.
    So thank you all, this was delightful and motivating!
    If you all want to form a study group, or even keep in touch and support each other, in sharing experiences, tips, motivation, etc..
    You can text me your name and mention you’re from 7Sage comment group (LOL), get to know each other, share this journey together, and help one another out!
    718-807-8338
    Lili

• Rowe2020Rowe2020 Member
    225 karma

We can do this! I feel guilty too when I don't study, but I find going for a walk helps. Also, I bought a printer which really has been a game changer for me.

• Kaylee HKaylee H Alum Member
    66 karma

Hi! I think there is a middle ground here that you are missing. Clearly, your abrupt and unexpected shift in study habits is in the very least making you lose confidence in your knowledge, whether or not you have actually forgotten it. I think that you would likely benefit simply from reviewing your notes, making and practicing flash cards, and using the printouts and flashcards on the site in the lessons. From there, you will have an understanding of whether or not you do remember the material and if there is anything you need to review. I don't think an all out redo of the core curriculum is what will serve you best here.

I work full time and my study schedule fluctuates, so the flash cards and review is something I do periodically to refresh my memory. I find it very helpful. I keep a stack of flashcards on the indicators, the valid and invalid arguments, and some of the rules that I tend to forget.

Also, definitely try be easy on yourself for your change in study habits during this time. Mental and emotional well-being are also very important aspects of this process and in life in general. If you need a day off from studying or have a day where you only spend 30 minutes reviewing, that is okay. It sounds like you have put in plenty of hours already and can afford a break here and there when you need it. Productivity is not measured simply by the number of hours you put in. Rest and recovery also serve their purpose. There has been such a push for people to be "productive" during this pandemic, but its crucial to know that breaks are also productive and healthy.

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

When I get really stressed and overwhelmed, I do the same thing and start to doubt myself and how much I really know. I would say take a deep breath, keep moving forward and if you need to, go back and re-quiz yourself on anything you're doubtful about. Don't panic. You got this.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

Test or section retakes can be good review exercises. Yes, the scores are inflated, but they can help remind us of the progress we've achieved.

• 476 karma

Hey, be a little easier on yourself. You are managing the stress of this pandemic while studying for the LSAT and that's admirable!

For the CC, I would go over the questions I missed and watch the videos for its corresponding question type. It would be less tasking and focused on remembering. After that, do drills with the same question types.

And remember, you are doing the best you can.

• WhimsicalWillowWhimsicalWillow Yearly Member
    79 karma

@Bagelinthemorning said:
    Hey, be a little easier on yourself. You are managing the stress of this pandemic while studying for the LSAT and that's admirable!

For the CC, I would go over the questions I missed and watch the videos for its corresponding question type. It would be less tasking and focused on remembering. After that, do drills with the same question types.

And remember, you are doing the best you can.

What do you mean by "drills"? How many questions from the question bank would you set up for each question after going over the videos?

Would you drill those questions while simultaneously moving through the CC to next topic?

• 476 karma

@WhimsicalWillow
    It's doing several questions from the same question type, repeatedly until you feel comfortable with the material again.

I would do the CC for the questions types I missed previously and then follow up with drills after I am done with CC.

Hope it goes well!

• WhimsicalWillowWhimsicalWillow Yearly Member
    79 karma

@Bagelinthemorning said:
    @WhimsicalWillow
    It's doing several questions from the same question type, repeatedly until you feel comfortable with the material again.

I would do the CC for the questions types I missed previously and then follow up with drills after I am done with CC.

Hope it goes well!

Where did you get the material to drill from? Were you using the questions from 7Sage's question bank or from the practice tests? I would appreciate it if you could clarify.

• 476 karma

@WhimsicalWillow I have not done drills yet but I am planning to use 7Sage's question bank. I have also heard LSAT Demon's drill set is also good.