Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feb 2021 Last Min. LSAT Plan

pika3678pika3678 Free Trial Member
edited February 2021 in February 2021 LSAT 22 karma

Hi All,

I need some advice. I've been studying for the lsat on and off for the last 2+ years. The highest I've ever hit on a timed PT has been a 159 with a BR scores of 177-179. I took the official Nov 2020 lsat and scored a 156. My highest official score before this has been a 157. I'm struggling. I stopped studying for the last two months thinking I scored in the low 160s in Nov, only to find out in Jan that I got a 156 (score delayed b/c of writing sample). Anyway, I'm officially registered for the Feb exam and I'm feeling lost.

I have a whole week off from work to study. I have a respiratory condition and have been severely sick for almost all of January. I just started back up with the studying in early Feb, but I'm feeling very rusty. I'm scoring -6 in LR.
Games is my weakest section, I'm not able to finish more than 3 timed. For RC, I'm not able to finish more than 3 passages and even in the ones I attempt, I'm looking at a -5 (roughly -7 to -9).

I'm so lost on what to do. Do I spend a majority of next week focused on drilling games and try to get my score up that way?

Should I just forget taking the Feb exam all together b/c improvement this late in the game is so unlikely?

It has been extremely difficult in finding some consistent time in the day where I can focus on just lsat prep, as I work over-time. My studying has been inconsistent overall.

I already have 4 scores on record, all in the 150s. And I'm an applicant in this year's cycle. I know it's late in the game, but I'm not really aiming for T-14 schools. I'm considering part-time programs. I'm a little embarrassed that I'm still studying for this exam (over 2+ years later) but given my sub 3.0 GPA, I really need to break into the 160s.

I have no interest in delaying another cycle and I really do not want to re-take this exam again.

My main questions are whether surpassing a score in the 160s is realistic and if so, how should I spend my time in the next couple of days?

Thank you for reading my post. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle.

Comments

• love2learnlove2learn Free Trial Member
    252 karma

Can you change to April and still get your applications in?

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

This is a tough predicament. Statistically speaking, you are not likely to get a score better than your PTs on test day... but it could happen. I don't believe there is anything you can do to significantly boost your score in one week, but if you are set on applying this cycle, then taking it one more time, given that this would be the last time you can take it, might be worth trying to get another point or two (every one counts!). If you were to delay until a later test, odds of admission go down... so that's a definite downside to that option.
    If I were you, I would go easy on studying, get good sleep, eat well, try to get out and walk (if your lungs can handle it), and think about skipping strategy. Make sure that you are flagging, selecting an answer choice, and skipping any questions on which you are getting stuck, this should buy you some time in each section.
    Best of luck!!

• Mo SchaafMo Schaaf Member
    60 karma

I am definitely no LSAT expert, but I do believe there are aspects of this test that are extremely learnable (especially games). If you want to improve your score quickly, drill sections of games and study inferences as much as you can until you are getting -1/-2 in the games section. It is totally possible and it is the fastest way to raise your score, IMO.

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

Hello @pika3678 , First you should not be embarrassed for studying 2ish years. There are not that many people with the determination and grit to stay with this exam that long.
    Second I would highly recommend not doing exams the week of your exam and do not do any lsat stuff on the day before the exam.
    ----with a week to study this is what I would do----Depending where you're at in LG I would start there. It is the place where you can pick up the most points the fastest. I would do 1 of each style game and keeping track of the style games that give you the most trouble and why, then I would write them down/print/review them while I eat/and before I go to bed, to make sure I am aware of the mistakes I am making/inferences I am not making to help make myself aware on exam day.
    Next I would with basic IN/OUT and sequencing games try be as fast as possible with them, the easy games is where you can bank time for the more difficult ones. I would do more LG than anything. For LR (depending on how good I am at particular questions) I would study FLAW 2--4 per-section questions they are by far the most common type of question, then I would study study strengthen weaken--sufficiency necessity and make sure I can spot premises and conclusions quickly.
    Best of luck, positive attitude will help increase your score as well!

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

shoot me a pm- If I can, I'd like to help.

• pika3678pika3678 Free Trial Member
    22 karma

@lovetolearn: Unfortunately, some of the schools won't accept the April LSAT. I plan to take a prep test or two this week and if I can't clear a few points ahead of my last on-record score I think I will simply withdraw the March registration and re-evaluate my school list. But for the time being, I'll do what I can to get my section timing/accuracy down.

@sarakimmel : Thank you for the advice! Def. will be working on maintaining a healthy schedule and developing my skipping strategy. I find myself spending a little too much time on individual questions, when I should be skipping.

@Mo Schaaf: Thank you for the suggestion! Will def be spending time on LG this week.

@kkole444: Thank you for your kindness. And thank you for the study plan suggestions. I'm focusing on LG as much as I can, with the remaining time on LR. I've gotten near perfect LG sections before and know I can replicate. I just have to keep at it.

@Logician: Thank you for the offer! I am planning to work on LG for the most part, and get my timing down by taking smaller timed sections. If there is anything I think I could use extra help with, I will def reach out.

Thank you guys for taking the time to read and respond. Really appreciate it.

1687 karma

Hey
    You can always apply with the February exam, and take the April exam and If they have not given you a decision yet/waitlisted have them update your file with the April score (presuming it will be higher) and get reconsidered for admission. Just an idea.

• masimasi Alum Member
    170 karma

You have a choice to make.

1) continue working and spend whatever leisure time you have on studying for the LSAT, only to find out you will score something undesirable.

2) take some serious time off work like from now till April and focus on the LSAT. If you take this option and practice accordingly you will hit somewhere in the high to mid 160's.

Otherwise, don't have a high expectation of hitting a significantly higher mark in Feb exam. You have a lot of ground to cover and there isn't enough time.

If you do take the Feb exam, don't be disappointed at what you get. Because you have truly applied your best do to time work and certain circumstances.

I am not sure about your financials or goals to suggest option 2. However, what I can suggest is, if you are going to take the Feb exam don't worry too much about the mark you are going to get. Just enjoy the process and know that you did your best.

I hope this helps.

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

@kkole444 I believe this will be Pika's 5th test in Feb, so it's an either/or now that LSAC has reinstated test limits :(

1687 karma

ohh if he took any exams before September 2019 then they do not count for the lifetime takes, the policy is not retroactive. However if Pika took them after or 2 within this cycle then my comment won't work

22 karma

Hey @masi thank you for your input. You're right, there is a lot of ground to cover and not a lot of time. I will def keep things in perspective for the Feb exam, if I decide to go ahead with it, and just see how things pan out these next few days.

@kkole444 and @sarakimmel: Just to clarify, I took 3 official tests Spring 2020. The 4th take was Nov 2020. I was actually unaware of the 5x/within 5 years test taking limit. It looks like I'll be hitting the 5x repeat limit if I do the Feb exam. Sighs.

1687 karma

If you need, you could send an appeal to allow an extra take after the 5th. I'm sure they would be flexible with all the covid stuff going on.

22 karma

@kkole444: Thank you for letting me know about the option. I appreciate all of the help.

22 karma

Hey @kkole444 and for anyone else interested, I reviewed LSAC's rules on retake limits and it looks like any tests taken b/w May- August 2020 would not count towards the retake limit. This applies for me, so it seems I will be able to take the April 2021 exam in addition to Feb (if I choose to).

Here's the link: https://www.lsac.org/about/lsac-policies/limits-on-repeating-lsat#:~:text=Starting with the September 2019,reports scores to law schools).

1687 karma

@pika3678 that is great to hear, thank you for the information