Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to download tests

Hey everyone!

Like many of you I am taking the LSAT this weekend. I bought this course before taking the LSAT last fall, but didn't really use it for prep this time around. I know I have most of the tests bought, but when I click on them to get access like I used to, I have no way of downloading/printing the test. Something probably changed since I was last here and my brain is dead enough that I can't figure it out.

Anyone know how to download the dang PTs?

Comments

• 50 karma
    I now read somewhere that LSAC banned the use of PDFs... I thought I bought access to these tests with my bundle. Is there a refund for that?
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    Hi.

LSAC has new a new licensing policy, which for 7Sage came into effect I think around April 24th. This means that the distribution and selling of LSATS in PDF format is prohibited. Unfortunately, if you did not download all of the PT's before that deadline, you have lost access to them. However, you still have access to the valuable PT explanations which comes with your bundle.

There's a link on these discussion forums (pinned I think) which gives you cheap alternatives in accessing PT's.

I'm not positive, but I think Cambridge LSAT still sells Pt's in PDF format, since their licensing policy hasn't come up for renewal yet.
  • RealisIkeRealisIke Member
    19 karma
    The LSAC has banned the use of PDFs containing official LSAT questions. Hence you have not been able to download PTs from 7Sage, or any other legitimate prep test company, since near the end of April. There are a number of posts around here that suggest alternate ways of finding, or purchasing, the tests.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    This is a list of the most affordable PTs that Dillon could find for everybody:

http://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2770/list-of-affordable-pts-paperback-hard-copy

As mentioned above, LSAC changed their policy on PDFs of PTs and makes it all but impossible to offer them as PDFs. Once individual companies hit their contract expiration dates for the PT licenses, LSAC no longer allowed those companies to sell PDFs. If you didn't download them to your computer or the cloud before the April 21st, you've got to buy the hard copies.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    I’m not sure that’s entirely correct. LSAC only made it impossible for 7Sage to sell PDFs, but Cambridge is still selling PDFs. Either Cambridge has a sweetheart deal with LSAC or their license hasn’t expired yet. http://www.cambridgelsat.com/preptests/4-section/
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor Read Pacifico's comment. It can be assumed that 7Sage's license just happened to be up for renewal before Cambridge. I have a feeling it won't be long before Cambridge will have to change their policy as well.
  • 50 karma
    Thanks everyone. Any idea how 7sage got around honoring the sale of these tests for X amount of time without following through or giving refunds? It's a little disappointing to think you bought something only to find out you no longer have access to what you paid for.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    @jk2007 They made a huge announcement on the forum as well as in various pages within the curriculum that PDF's would disappear. If I remember correctly, these notices were up for at least 3 weeks.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2015 7965 karma
    @jk2007 said:
    Any idea how 7sage got around honoring the sale of these tests for X amount of time without following through or giving refunds? It's a little disappointing to think you bought something only to find out you no longer have access to what you paid for.
    What you actually paid for was the licensing costs involved in making the explanations and course materials available (in the videos and in the course). 7sage never actually passed off the costs of making its PDF's onto students, so those were actually always more-or-less free bonuses anyway.
  • 50 karma
    Must have missed that. Though that doesn't really answer the question. Imagine you paid for 1 year of Netflix and 6 months through they announced to everyone that they were not going to honor any of those sales, but also not going to give a refund to those that bought the product. I feel like that wouldn't fly unless they had something sneaky in the TOS.

Thanks for the help though.
  • 50 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    What you actually paid for was the licensing costs involved in making the explanations and course materials available (in the videos and in the course). 7sage never actually passed off the costs of making its PDF's onto students, so those were actually always more-or-less free bonuses anyway.
    Yeah I kind of thought it might be something like that, but I feel like it was marketed as coming with the PTs.

Surely I can't be the only one upset about this?

Thanks Nicole.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    A lot of people were upset. I thought it odd that 7Sage hadn’t sent out a mass email alerting all of their subscribers. I can only speculate that they might have been worried about server overload. They get no benefit from unhappy customers.
    1294 karma
    Although I agree that it's unfortunate PT aren't available, and can understand that some people may have gotten upset, in my humble opinion, the explanations are more than worth the $$.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I think they may have also assumed that people were using their account at least once a month or more so there would have been plenty of time for them to have seen everything. Sure an email would have been nice, but on the other hand, why are people neglecting a service that they paid for? In the end, anyone who is really intent on becoming a lawyer should not take this as anything more than a minor setback and small financial hit compared to what success on the LSAT and in law school will earn you in the future.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    @jk2007 said:
    Imagine you paid for 1 year of Netflix and 6 months through they announced to everyone that they were not going to honor any of those sales, but also not going to give a refund to those that bought the product.
    well then you have however long they give you to download whatever you need

tho not really analogous as this is downloading a fixed amount of stuff and Netflix is not so fixed and you more stream rather than download. And so Netflix would be in for some real trouble if they didnt give partial refunds for those who had year subscriptions... Also the fact that Movies/shows is Netflix and PTs arent 7sage, the explanations and lessons make up what 7sage really is
  • 50 karma
    @jdawg113 said:
    well then you have however long they give you to download whatever you need

tho not really analogous as this is downloading a fixed amount of stuff and Netflix is not so fixed and you more stream rather than download. And so Netflix would be in for some real trouble if they didnt give partial refunds for those who had year subscriptions... Also the fact that Movies/shows is Netflix and PTs arent 7sage, the explanations and lessons make up what 7sage really is
    Clearly it's not a perfect analogy.

Just because you don't think the PTs are the most important part of 7sage doesn't mean it is true to everyone. Having found a better (for me) study method, I would have gladly given up the explanations if it meant keeping access to the PTs.
    2654 karma
    I never said either or were the more important part... just that they are a small portion of the service. The majority of the service is just that, the service they are providing, the lessons and explanations. The PTs themselves are a resource that is out there through many options and were tagged onto 7sage's service. While many may find them to be the most important part and/or a big reason for purchases said service, that does not mean they are the cause or factor of the price value business-wise. While very unfortunate once the PTs were removed, it was stated where the pricing and stuff was and before they were there were multiple stickied posts here regarding everything. There's only so much to be done to please as many people as possible but there is no way to please everyone. You are definitely not the first to post something to this regard and I'm sure you wont be the last.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    edited June 2015 12637 karma
    It sucks that we had to give up the PDFs, I know. We hate it and we all know you guys hate it. We're trying to come up with alternate solutions, but they're all a big WIP and I don't have any information to share with you right now.

@jk2007, I'll email you so we can come up with a solution together about your issue.

Edit: Actually, please email me: dillon@7sage.com
    I just tried to send you an email and it was rejected by the server.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Cambridge actually meets the LSAC requirements for PDF downloads. You only get 48 hours (or so) and only 2 downloads. They also embed like 7Sage did but the issue was 7Sage didn't want to restrict downloads, JY mentioned that in one of the posts on this.

As Cambridge is set up to do it, they might be the last person standing.
    3197 karma
    @jk2007 "Imagine you paid for 1 year of Netflix and 6 months through they announced to everyone that they were not going to honor any of those sales, but also not going to give a refund to those that bought the product. I feel like that wouldn't fly unless they had something sneaky in the TOS. "

Ok so I paid a year in advance for Netflix because I really liked a number of the movies and tv shows when I signed up. The services includes these movies and they've been in their system for years. But then 6 months later they're not there anymore. I don't get a refund, even if they were the only reason I bought the streaming service for a year. As I purchased a streaming service not that those particular shows... You purchased the 7Sage learning system, which did include the test but because of contract shifts had to remove them, much like how a TV show or Movie can be removed unexpectedly on Netflix when the licensing agreement ends with the distributor.

I think your analogy actually fits the situation perfectly.
    2654 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    Cambridge actually meets the LSAC requirements for PDF downloads.
    I dont believe so. Its been a while since I looked at their requirements but wasnt it only 1 download? And the big thing was being able to print it only once which unless they changed their PDFs that isnt a Cambridge restriction
  • 50 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    Ok so I paid a year in advance for Netflix because I really liked a number of the movies and tv shows when I signed up. The services includes these movies and they've been in their system for years. But then 6 months later they're not there anymore. I don't get a refund, even if they were the only reason I bought the streaming service for a year. As I purchased a streaming service not that those particular shows... You purchased the 7Sage learning system, which did include the test but because of contract shifts had to remove them, much like how a TV show or Movie can be removed unexpectedly on Netflix when the licensing agreement ends with the distributor.
    No, I purchased a package that said it came with LSAT PTs 36-72 or something like that.

@"Dillon A. Wright" I'll send you an email, thanks.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited June 2015 7965 karma
    @jdawg113 said:
    And the big thing was being able to print it only once which unless they changed their PDFs that isnt a Cambridge restriction
    This is the case. Cambridge will also get the boot eventually unless they come up with a DRM that regulates how many times you can print.

Possible (?) loophole LSAC has not closed: Ever heard of this newfangled device?

edited June 2015 3197 karma
    lol @nichole.hathorn or this! image
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    @stepharizona I can't believe this is the resized image. It's taking up my whole screen!! -- not that I'm complaining
  • Cher____Cher____ Alum Member
    edited June 2015 41 karma
    So, i downloaded all PTs before the April 24th deadline. I copied them to an external hard drive. I just plugged the hard drive into my work computer. My computer sent the external drive through some type of encryption process, now I can no longer see the files. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm wondering if the pdf files coded or protected before 4/24 or if it's just my work computer rejecting the files.....
    1294 karma
    @CFloyd1221 said:
    Has this happened to anyone else? I'm wondering if the pdf files coded or protected
    I have no problems opening the pds. Maybe it's just your work computer? Worst case scenario, the encryption process somehow deleted the pdfs.
  • __Juan____Juan__ Alum Member
    184 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    Possible (?) loophole LSAC has not closed: Ever heard of this newfangled device?

or just print as pdf?
  • Alex ShortAlex Short Alum Member
    112 karma
    ^^^ If you have PDF files, you may print them out for personal use and that is it - it is the distribution and selling of LSATS in PDF format that is prohibited.

The idea is to keep the information/questions on each PT as property of LSAC, and my assumption is that they feared with Cambridge bundles and pdf files of all the PTs, that the year-to-year turnover of the files would go from student to student, thereby losing business/revenue for LSAC.

I can't blame them, but personally, I feel as though there are wiser ways to approach the issue. That's another discussion anyway.
This discussion has been closed.