Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Silicone Earplugs helped me with ADHD Studying

JoJo_the_OjOjJoJo_the_OjOj Alum Member
in General 46 karma

Hi all,

I have ADHD and some sensory issues, and I found something that really helps me with studying. Silicone earplugs! I have seen quite a few discussions about ADHD tips from years back and figured I should post this for people who are currently on the study train.

Here are the ones that I use. I found them at my local CVS: https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-ultra-soft-silicone-earplugs-6-pairs-prodid-457795

They have helped me so much with studying and taking practice exams. I find that the slight pressure in my ear helps me to be more comfortable and relaxed. It almost replicates the feeling of a nice weighted blanket. Additionally, they block out small noises that might otherwise throw me off of my rhythm.

Also, you are allowed to wear earplugs during the test. They are on the list of preapproved items (https://www.prometric.com/test-owners/resources/testing-accommodations-pre-approved-items, https://www.lsac.org/lsat/register-lsat/accommodations/accommodations-may-be-available-lsat) for both the multiple-choice and writing sections. The only requirements are that you show them to the proctor before the exam and that they are "non-electronic, non-corded/banded, and generic foam" (I am assuming silicone, a foam-like substance, is okay). You could use foam ones, but I find that the silicone ones stay in my ears so much better.

Hope this helped somebody.

Comments

• kingjulienkingjulien Core Member
    30 karma

I also have ADHD and will give your suggestion a try!

• doloresrios21-1-1doloresrios21-1-1 Core Member
    24 karma

Thank you for the suggestion! i'm going to try it out

• Juan23vrJuan23vr Live Member
    298 karma

i also have adhd and eat silcone its more effective

• spittingnickelsspittingnickels Live Member
    110 karma

interesting. what i try to do is take timed sections sitting in a busy restaurant at a table or some other place that is seething with distractions. as a way to build my tolerance for concentrating. but once test day arrives , id like to try those headphones

• ovidovid Member
    edited June 2023 89 karma

I started using earplugs to study too. It also helps deaden environmental/background noise, so for example, at work I am able to concentrate better. I used to think I was someone who needed music or background noise to study, but it seems it was more that I needed music to drown out distracting environmental noise. Silicone earplugs help a lot because they muffle that but I can still hear/converse normally. I've used foam earplugs previously, but they irritated my ear and weren't always consistently blocking noise, so I had to readjust them often; and they weren't as comfortable/forgettable.

I got knockoffs of the "Loop" brand, but I am not sure I can use those during the test, since they aren't the traditional foam type and they look like Bluetooth earbuds.

• Michael37Michael37 Alum Member
    edited June 2023 12 karma

@studentservice can you confirm if silicone earplugs are allowed? Sorry if this is not something y’all usually do !

• lucaschatterton223lucaschatterton223 Alum Member
    edited June 2023 4 karma

As someone who has ADHD and uses earplugs to study, I recommend using the classic foam style earplugs, because as far as I am aware, they are the only type that is allowed during the actual exam. That might have changed, but it definitely used to be he case. Also, if you find foam earplugs to be ineffective, make sure that you are using them right. Most people just cram them in their ears, but the proper way to insert them is to like squish/roll them up, insert them, and then let the foam expand back out.

• ovidovid Member
    89 karma

@lucaschatterton223 said:
    As someone who has ADHD and uses earplugs to study, I recommend using the classic foam style earplugs, because as far as I am aware, they are the only type that is allowed during the actual exam. That might have changed, but it definitely used to be he case. Also, if you find foam earplugs to be ineffective, make sure that you are using them right. Most people just cram them in their ears, but the proper way to insert them is to like squish/roll them up, insert them, and then let the foam expand back out.

I know how to use them. The issue is that sometimes they don't actually stay expanded in my ear, or the placement loosens up over time.

• whatlikeitshardwhatlikeitshard Alum Member
    219 karma

Thanks for this tip! As someone with recently diagnosed ADHD, I've been trying to find methods of how to focus and study better. I have taken the test with foam earplugs so you can definitely use those on the test but I do wonder if they'll allow silicone? I feel like it will be totally up to whichever proctor you get on test day. I usually use my airpods just to block out background noise while studying (no music) but I guess I should be studying with the foam earplugs so I can be really used to it and it doesn't feel different on test day. Any other tips you've found helpful as someone studying with ADHD? Thanks!!

• Paula --Student Service--Paula --Student Service-- Member Administrator Student Services
    848 karma

Hi @Michael37 ,

As per LSAC, you are allowed to bring a soft, non-electronic, non-corded/banded, generic foam ear plugs, which will need to be shown to and approved by your LSAT proctor. In-person LSAT takers will be assigned noise-reducing headphones as part of their equipment and materials.

You can also reach out to LSAC's Candidate Services team via email at LSACinfo@LSAC.org or via phone at 1.800.336.3982.

Let me know if you have any further questions. I’m happy to help!

• erinnnleeeerinnnleee Alum Member
    8 karma

Wait this makes so much sense! I always have to use noise-cancelling headphones while studying to focus so I'm definitely going to try this out!

Thanks for sharing!