Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Word of advice for those going into battle tomorrow..

LARamsNationLARamsNation Member
edited June 2016 in General 592 karma
Good luck to the sages taking on the beast tomorrow. Get plenty of rest, relax, and just chill out today.

Don't know how helpful this will be for everyone, but I had a realization a couple of weeks back and it's helped me tremendously during PTs, so I figured I should share. Like many on here, I have issues with being able to skip questions in an effective matter.. and as JY and all the other Mentors on here have taught us; if you aren't able to hone that skill you'll never achieve your max potential score. And as many times as I heard it, read it, tried it, forced it, that notion never really stuck with me -- and that's why I'll be sitting for my third take in September.

However, I recently had a very profound realization while watching Jackie Bradley Jr go on a 28 game hitting streak. (Bare with me non-baseball fans, this story will make perfect sense even if you don't watch). Jackie Bradley is currently one of the best hitters in all of baseball... but for the first three years of his career he was mediocre at best, and some even considered him to be a below average player during that span.

This year, however, something changed. He started swinging at the ball significantly less than he used to. Pitchers became dumbfounded because they used to be able to throw any garbage pitch and he would always swing and miss. Refusing to give up the potential he knew he had, he worked with a new swinging coach to change his approach during the offseason. And now, he rarely, if ever, swings at a bad pitch.. Anyone here starting to catch how analogous this is to combatting the LSAT?

The greatest batters in the history of baseball were the ones who had a great eye for bad pitches. They didn't swing at every pitch that came their way. And something tells me, (though it may be a mere correlation ;) ) the highest lsat scorers are the ones who know they've come across a bad pitch. They don't get flustered, they stay disciplined, and they know when "not to swing" when they come across a "bad pitch" or, in our case, a really tough question.

So go out there, do your best Babe Ruth impression. Don't take swings at questions that are bad pitches. Instead look for that easy fastball, (better known to us as "low hanging fruit"), right down the middle and knock it out of the park. Before you know it, you'll have humbled the metaphoric pitcher in the LSAT and with your confidence riding sky high, there won't be any pitch (or question) he'll be able to toss your way that would stop you from smacking a grand slam. See you all at home plate. Good Luck!

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Bookmarking! I'm taking the December LSAT so I'm glad I saw this post early on in the game :)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    Great metaphor.
  • Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    edited June 2016 893 karma
    Good luck, everyone. Congratulations for getting down in the arena and getting your face dirty. You are working towards your goals. And, remember, it is just a test - pieces of paper and a pencil. Nothing you do tomorrow will cause any threat to anybody, nobody dies, no one gets a leukemia diagnosis, no one is lost in battle. Take it from someone who has been around the block many times.... no matter what you score on the test tomorrow, you will most likely end up where you are meant to be in life. Just turn it into a game and play your hand ever so prettily....
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    Baseball is weird but this is cute :) good job.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    For someone with a football nickname - you sure have a great way of describing a baseball analogy:P
    Love it:)
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @LARamsNation said:
    This year, however, something changed. He started swinging at the ball significantly less than he used to. Pitchers became dumbfounded because they used to be able to throw any garbage pitch and he would always swing and miss. Refusing to give up the potential he knew he had, he worked with a new swinging coach to change his approach during the offseason. And now, he rarely, if ever, swings at a bad pitch.. Anyone here starting to catch how analogous this is to combatting the LSAT?

@LARamsNation said:
    The greatest batters in the history of baseball were the ones who had a great eye for bad pitches. They didn't swing at every pitch that came their way. And something tells me, (though it may be a mere correlation ;) ) the highest lsat scorers are the ones who know they've come across a bad pitch. They don't get flustered, they stay disciplined, and they know when "not to swing" when they come across a "bad pitch" or, in our case, a really tough question.
    Wow.

Most excellent analogy for the full win. I was at a Texas Rangers game last night so this is particularly resonant for me :)

HEY BATTER BATTER ... You got this :)
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @"Chipster Study" said:
    no matter what you score on the test tomorrow, you will most likely end up where you are meant to be in life.
    AMEN
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma
    This is a great post, I'm not taking until September, but good luck to everyone that takes tomorrow!
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    This is fantastic thank you for taking the time to share!
  • danilphillipsdanilphillips Alum Member
    200 karma
    Taking tomorrow in London- thanks!!!!!
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Wonderful analogy, thanks for sharing. Good luck today!
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    Hi @danilphillips, I'm guessing you are almost done if not already done with your exam there in London by now. How did it go?
  • LARamsNationLARamsNation Member
    592 karma
    GAME DAY BABY. Thanks everyone, good luck today! Don't forget! Keep your eye on the ball and look for questions in the strike zone (low hanging fruit), and don't swing at "bad pitches"!

And lol @twssmith I'm a sports junkie, I watch everything. Lakers, LA Kings, Dallas Cowboys, Chicago Cubs, and now a season ticket holder for the LA Rams!!!
  • danilphillipsdanilphillips Alum Member
    200 karma
    @Sheri123 - the exam is tomorrow, June 7th. Funny that it's a day later than the American exam, not sure why.
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    @danilphillips good luck tomorrow, I'm sure you will do great!