Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

September LSAT Application Timeline

ToxoplasmosisToxoplasmosis Alum Member
edited June 2016 in General 233 karma
This question may be putting the cart before the horse, but I am planning on sitting for the September 2016 LSAT and applying this same cycle (and would like to have apps out ASAP because I'm an aspiring splitter). Assuming all goes well with LSAT prep, how should I time the drafting of my personal statement and letters of rec. Obviously any work on these two areas trades off directly with LSAT studying, so should I plan on using the time between taking the test and getting results to hammer all of this out? Any insight or links to threads where this has already been discussed would be very helpful. Thanks!

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Start now... And it's not like any work goes into your LORs so I'm not sure why you brought that up... But you do want everything done beforehand... You shouldn't be studying non-stop anyways so working on app stuff can be a good respite...
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    What @Pacifico said, if you start now, you will be glad you did. Then it is just a matter of them waiting for your LSAT to review, thereby increasing your chances of admission since more seats are still available that early on.
  • ToxoplasmosisToxoplasmosis Alum Member
    233 karma
    Thanks for the input! @Sheri123 am I understanding you correctly, I can submit my application packet before my LSAT score is released?
  • Sheri123Sheri123 Alum Member
    1196 karma
    I'm pretty sure you can submit even before you take the exam, the schools you apply to will be able to see when you are scheduled to take the exam & will not review until they receive the score but at least everything will be ready & you will be applying w/early application advantage.
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    I've had my personal statement drafted for months already. And I'm also applying ASAP (as soon as apps open up) in September. I have one LOR writer already lined up as well.
  • jimenezja.jjjimenezja.jj Alum Member
    187 karma
    @Toxoplasmosis Hey, in reference to submitting your applications before you get your LSAT score. From what I've heard is you can submit your application but it won't be considered complete. In the event you are not satisfied with your LSAT score you will need to call and withdrawal your application. Hope this helps!!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    Yeah, nothing stopping you from going ahead and uploading everything so that you’re ready to fire away once LSAT scores post.

With your Letters, you do need to go ahead and contact your writers. It is good etiquette to allow them as much notice as you can. This will also give you adequate time to wait before a follow up if your writers aren’t on the ball. If you ask them two weeks before you want to submit, it’s going to be awkward having to press them.
  • bjphillips5bjphillips5 Alum Member
    1137 karma
    Here's my September admissions plan. I'm also taking the September LSAT.

Now: Send Recommenders an email with a deadline of Oct 1st. Follow up as necessary.
    1. Finalize resume before July.
    2. Finalize personal statement mid-July.
    3. Begin working on specific application components for each law school after PS is done.
    4. Finalize all applications by end of August.
    5. Spend final month relaxing a bit more before LSAT.
    6. Spend post-LSAT, pre-score time reviewing and doing a final edit of all applications.
    7. If score is in range I want, then send applications away. The LSAT score range is an almost necessary conditions for many of my desired schools, so if I don't get the score, I'll get back in the bunker and study my butt off for December.

Hope this helps! :)
    8021 karma
    FYI most apps aren't released until after September 1st.
    8021 karma
    The apps virtually fill themselves out so it is better to do them while you wait for your score to come back.
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    edited June 2016 7286 karma
    @Toxoplasmosis, I agree with everyone that you should contact your recommenders this summer and start drafting your personal statement.

At this point, studying for the LSAT should be your first priority, but you should be able to work on your application in the interstices that might otherwise be wasted. Give your best hours to LSAT study. When you can't study any more, or when you're giving yourself a break, take a crack at your personal statement.

It's true that you can submit your application before your LSAT score comes in, but I recommend that you hold fire. Admissions officers won't look at it until it's complete, and in the meantime, you might discover a typo, or make a more drastic improvement.

I made a timeline of the admissions process for the Admissions Starter package: https://7sage.com/lesson/admissions-overview/

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    I have found this timeline really helpful: http://prelaw-guru.com/blog/law-school-application-timeline/