Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Learn to unthink!

Not Ralph NaderNot Ralph Nader Alum Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
in General 2098 karma

Interesting article especially for those who want to score 170+. I find it very helpful and in some way validates the advice about trusting your gut feeling after mastering the test.

https://www.1843magazine.com/content/ideas/ian-leslie/non-cogito-ergo-sum

Comments

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma

@"Not Ralph Nader" I watched the highlight after reading this article.anyway, Roger is famous for losing key match points:)

see you in US Open:)

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Definitely an interesting read.

I think when/if we really have internalized all we need to know for the LSAT at a subconscious level that the idea of "unthinking" could be somewhat helpful some of the time. At the very least prioritizing what to think about correctly (and "unthinking" the rest) seems like it could be very beneficial!

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Thanks for sharing -- what a great read! I love reading about the unconscious and am an absolute Dylan junky so this was right up my alley.

My experience is right in line with this as well. I find that I am able to fall into my "rhythm" on on LR much more easily than RC and RC WAY more easily than LG and my scores reflect that. Specifically, I even perform better on my first LR section because It's typically the 1st or 2nd section. When I reach the 2nd LR section, I have a good sense of what sort of score I am reach on that test and I begin to think too much -- I fall out of my rhythm.

And one last point for anyone who just skims the beginning:

This last point is vital. Unthinking is not the same as ignorance; you can’t unthink if you haven’t already thought. Djokovic was able to pull off his wonder shot because he had played a thousand variations on it in previous matches and practice

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

Interesting, i have been unable to break the -4/-5 average on RC. And i was telling someone yesterday that -3 of those are qs that i have narrowed down to 2 ACs and my gut tells me one but i overthink it and pick the other one, which is 9/10 wrong

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I'll give it a read!

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    edited August 2017 1091 karma

As a fellow Dylan obsessive I too liked reading this. I know this is something others have talked about on the forums, but I wonder if over-thinking is what is going on when some experience a slight dip in their scores after first completing the CC. I know that happened to me with LR. I used to blitz through a section in about 25 minutes but was left lost when my intuitions came up blank on curve breaker questions. I needed a concrete strategy/methodology, which is what led me to purchase the CC.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Awesome read; thanks for sharing!

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    2983 karma

Awesome read and great advice.

• mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
    631 karma

Great find!

I definitely run into times on the LSAT where over-thinking is an issue.
    It's usually when I run into an LR question with a seemingly over-complex stimulus. Naturally, I take a few extra seconds to make sure I understand it, before then going on to read through 4 completely ridiculous answer choices and 1 so OBVIOUSLY correct.

Overthinking is an LSAT writer's worst enemy.

• 18 karma

Great stuff!

Thanks for sharing