Sept. Test taking anxiety - Help me.

sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
edited September 2017 in General 708 karma

Ok so I am taking the Sep test next week.
I went yesterday and creeped on the location and I was even able to do some PT sections in the room where I will be taking the LSAT bc no one was there. It did help my nerves a bit but I have really really bad anxiety in general.

My anxiety is so bad that sometimes if I am really nervous I start a section and it seems like i'm dyslexic- like i totally cannot comprehend the words that im reading on the paper. Im so so nervous that I will freeze up. I haven't taken the LSAT since 4 years ago when I scored a 149.

Any tips/advice for test taking anxiety the week b4 the big day?

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

We gotta get out of our own heads! I am the same way. I think we need to go into the test knowing that its nothing different than what we've done a hundred times before. We need to remind ourselves that we've been practicing for such a long time that next Saturday is just another rehash of what we've seen before. We know how to handle the material, so we just need to sit down and do it. All the other stuff is excess noise right now.

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    We gotta get out of our own heads! I am the same way. I think we need to go into the test knowing that its nothing different than what we've done a hundred times before. We need to remind ourselves that we've been practicing for such a long time that next Saturday is just another rehash of what we've seen before. We know how to handle the material, so we just need to sit down and do it. All the other stuff is excess noise right now.

That's what I am trying to pep talk myself into as well! i hate hate hate exams. My major in college required no exam whatsoever it was great lol

• JDtobeeeeJDtobeeee Alum Member
    175 karma

I'm pretty nervous as well! What really helps calm me down is constantly reminding myself that Saturday's exam will eventually become just another released practice PT that some other person in the future will be using for a drill/a practice PT. I know it common sense but it helps me calm down.

Good luck!

708 karma

@JDtobeeee said:
    I'm pretty nervous as well! What really helps calm me down is constantly reminding myself that Saturday's exam will eventually become just another released practice PT that some other person in the future will be using for a drill/a practice PT. I know it common sense but it helps me calm down.

Good luck!

good luck to you too!!

• smmiotkesmmiotke Alum Member
    edited February 6 15 karma

• shanedridershanedrider Alum Member
    156 karma

I had the same fears going into June's LSAT - I just reminded myself that I had already done a ton of preptests already, and that's all the one I was taking: just another preptest. Obviously, this one counts, but if you've done it dozens of times before, this one really isn't different. It's all a mental game and you just have to persevere through it.

As you've already taken it once before, you know what to expect come actual test day. Just stay focused, breathe, and remind yourself that you've got this!

I'm taking the LSAT in a week too so I'll be suffering in just over a week with you. Best of luck!

• sarahmelton6sarahmelton6 Alum Member
    169 karma

Have you tried a little meditation everyday? This has helped me tremendously for anxiety.

708 karma

@sarahmelton6 said:
    Have you tried a little meditation everyday? This has helped me tremendously for anxiety.

I try but I'm a mom so it's hard to find the time/motivation

• BroccoliBroccoli Core Member
    352 karma

Same. Making same mistakes again and again because I panic and forget everything

• TheLSATerTheLSATer Alum Member
    137 karma

I started exercising again and that's been really helping me.