Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I take day off temp job for the June monday LSAT?

alwaysstudying1827alwaysstudying1827 Alum Member
in General 10 karma

I have no official vaca days and I am too scared to risk it with a last minute sick day. I can’t do a drs note either since the test will last till about late afternoon and if its anything like my last one I will be an exhausted crying mess. What is a good excuse? I simply won’t get paid time which is fine, I just don’t want to get canned!

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Talk to your boss. I don’t see why they wouldn’t be willing to give you one, unpaid, absence for something like the LSAT. That would be my first stop.

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

And, if not, look for a new job.--A.c.S

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

^

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

I don't think you should lie about it. If you don't want to tell your employer that you are taking the LSAT, maybe say there is something important...?

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    edited December 2017 5254 karma

Can you trade days with someone else? Or offer to work an extra day beforehand in exchange for taking that Monday off?

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

What kind of place are you working in if its not too personal?

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    edited December 2017 5254 karma

Also, maybe try to see what other people there have done.

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

just don't show

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@alwaysstudying1827 said:
    I have no official vaca days and I am too scared to risk it with a last minute sick day. I can’t do a drs note either since the test will last till about late afternoon and if its anything like my last one I will be an exhausted crying mess. What is a good excuse? I simply won’t get paid time which is fine, I just don’t want to get canned!

Good advice here, but sometimes it's in your best interest to keep the LSAT on the down low.
    I work at a place where if they found out I was studying for the LSAT, I would risk losing my job. It doesn't mean you have to find a new job lol It's understandable that they may not want to invest in someone who is clearly planning on leaving to go to law school.

I am fortunate enough to have some sick days/vaca days, though. If you're not as fortunate and you feel like you can't tell them about the test, I advocate @akistotle's advice about just saying something important is coming up. It might be scary at first, but it's part of being an adult; dealing with the shit you don't always want to.

I would recommend telling them as far in advance as possible. Tell them you have something very important on whatever date you plan to take. With enough advanced notice, depending on where you work, it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

Good advice here, but sometimes it's in your best interest to keep the LSAT on the down low.
    I work at a place where if they found out I was studying for the LSAT, I would risk losing my job. It doesn't mean you have to find a new job lol It's understandable that they may not want to invest in someone who is clearly planning on leaving to go to law school.

I am fortunate enough to have some sick days/vaca days, though. If you're not as fortunate and you feel like you can't tell them about the test, I advocate @akistotle's advice about just saying something important is coming up. It might be scary at first, but it's part of being an adult; dealing with the shit you don't always want to.

I would recommend telling them as far in advance as possible. Tell them you have something very important on whatever date you plan to take. With enough advanced notice, depending on where you work, it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

This is good advice. And I assume there are a lot of employers like that. Columbia asks for a professional LOR, but says "Candidates who think they may jeopardize their employment status by requesting professional letters of recommendation may submit an academic letter of recommendation instead and should include a brief addendum explaining why they have not included a professional letter of recommendation."

• sbc.mom_3xsbc.mom_3x Alum Member
    1501 karma

I would just say you have personal business that day and would like a personal day. > @"Alex Divine" said:

I second this.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Is this a job where many people would be applying to law school from?

If many do, it is going to be hard to pull off the lie. They would know it was the day of the LSAT and then probably that you had applied to law schools unless you are rather tight lipped. In this case, it probably isn't worth lying.

If they have no knowledge of law school applications, then you can probably tell any lie that you feel comfortable telling and think will work. Don't talk about the LSAT at work, but you would probably be fine talking about the law school application process. If a doctor's note is all that you think will work, you could go to the doctor in the morning before the June test. That sounds like unnecessary stress to me, but I was really sick before mine so if you end up like me, it might just work out to be good timing.

What sort of job won't let you take one vaction day to take a test traditionally offered 4 times a year if you tell them 6 months in advance?

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

Can you get a doctor's note for the entire day? Maybe go to the test then to the doctor and get a note for the whole day off? I hate lying at work too but if you can't tell them about the LSAT or about an arbitrary errand like a few people suggested, lying will have to do :(

• alwaysstudying1827alwaysstudying1827 Alum Member
    edited January 2018 10 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:

It is a contractor temp job (such as a kelly temps or manpower) where I am not officially given personal days (paid nor unpaid) They can give them to me but its at their discretion. I don’t want to let them know and risk getting a “no” and then I have a conflict of job/lsat interest.
    I have yet to ask for any days because unpaid is a huge loss money (in my opinion.)I am searching for fulltime with typical benefits but for now this pays the bills.

Nobody there is interested in law school nor grad school in general. I can call in sick (makes me nervous to pull this one). The other temps do not take days off. If they do, they work from home and answer emails/the phone all day. Grrr those goodie two shoes. I will try to see if I can do the dr thing. It would have to be for 430 pm lol! Or I like the personal day thing, maybe at times people have personal days where they cant answer emails like I will be on test day! Does that happen? Thanks so much everyone.

• speedwagonspeedwagon Alum Member
    393 karma

Having temped a ton - are you sure you're even going to be there in June? I see that you're worried and I recognize that but 6 months is 10 years in temp job time in my experience.

I would just say you are going to have an engagement you can't get out of in June and will need the time off. If they need more information, just say it's personal, but it's important. Most places would be ok with this (although lord knows temp jobs are not most places.)

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:

It is a contractor temp job (such as a kelly temps or manpower) where I am not officially given personal days (paid nor unpaid) They can give them to me but its at their discretion. I don’t want to let them know and risk getting a “no” and then I have a conflict of job/lsat interest.
    I have yet to ask for any days because unpaid is a huge loss money (in my opinion.)I am searching for fulltime with typical benefits but for now this pays the bills.

Nobody there is interested in law school nor grad school in general. I can call in sick (makes me nervous to pull this one). The other temps do not take days off. If they do, they work from home and answer emails/the phone all day. Grrr those goodie two shoes. I will try to see if I can do the dr thing. It would have to be for 430 pm lol! Or I like the personal day thing, maybe at times people have personal days where they cant answer emails like I will be on test day! Does that happen? Thanks so much everyone.

Personal day seems vague to me and more likely to result in being denied. I would either tell them the truth and ask for the day off as early as possible or come up with a specific lie. What if a family member had a wedding and you were the best man/woman?

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

Personal day seems vague to me and more likely to result in being denied. I would either tell them the truth and ask for the day off as early as possible or come up with a specific lie. What if a family member had a wedding and you were the best man/woman?

Yes! you should def do this-- a wedding! You can't miss it and you can even tell them now 6 months in advance that's perfect!

I also second @speedwagon and their advice. I've never stayed a temp place longer than 6 mos. If you have the time, maybe you could look for something permanent before then?

• KayyyyyyyKayyyyyyy Free Trial Member
    346 karma

If you think you might get another job sometime between now and the test, you could also put this decision off until closer to the day of the test. If you're