Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having trouble staying focused!!

e_217Case_217Cas Alum Member
in General 59 karma

I've been having so much trouble staying focused lately. I can be active, awake, ready to go, then the minute I start a lesson, I start crashing.

Not sure if its because the lessons are getting harder, and since I'm not getting it I'm getting sleepy and losing interest. Does this happen to anyone else?

What do you do to stay awake, and engaged in the lesson?

I feel so behind schedule when doing the Intro to Logic section it was 59 lessons. It took me 2 weeks to complete. I feel like I already forgot the previous sections. Hopefully it all comes back to me when I do practice questions. How do you all keep everything fresh?

Comments

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    903 karma

I don't know how much this will help, but when I had the same problem I had to brute force myself to stay focused and study. However, it could be a sign of burn out, maybe take 2 or 3 days off and relax a bit?

• Beast ModeBeast Mode Live Member
    844 karma

I know it will take a while but reviewing the concepts over and over helps to keep the material fresh in your head instead of moving from lesson to lesson. I know when I started the lessons I was on autopilot but I realized that I needed to have a concrete understanding of fundamentals. I would say be honest with your-self and assess your progress. If you feel like you are not remembering the material, take a day or two to review. It's ok to be a bit behind from the schedule because it's not about how fast you can get through the lesson, your understanding of the fundamentals will be reflected in your PT's. Take your time and be kind to your-self!
    Good luck!!!

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited March 2018 3072 karma

@e_217Cas said:
    I've been having so much trouble staying focused lately. I can be active, awake, ready to go, then the minute I start a lesson, I start crashing.

Not sure if its because the lessons are getting harder, and since I'm not getting it I'm getting sleepy and losing interest. Does this happen to anyone else?

What do you do to stay awake, and engaged in the lesson?

I feel so behind schedule when doing the Intro to Logic section it was 59 lessons. It took me 2 weeks to complete. I feel like I already forgot the previous sections. Hopefully it all comes back to me when I do practice questions. How do you all keep everything fresh?

Coffee? Adderall?

I joke but ya know sorta not really.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6050 karma

Take a break maybe? Sounds like it could be burn out, even a couple days will help. If you feel like you're forgetting what you've already learned then try to go back and review, revisit some questions that gave you trouble and see whether you can figure them out now.

If stuff is taking longer than you thought it would that's not a bad thing necessairly because you're taking the time to thoroughly understand the fundamentals. The intro to logic section is fundamental for so many different areas on the LSAT that taking time to understand it will definetly help you out in the long run!

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited March 2018 3652 karma

B12 vitamins. Ginger shots/ginger tea. Remind yourself what you’re doing this for and how much you want to go to law school. If you want to go to law school really bad then you wanna focus on the tedious lessons really bad. Try speeding up the video speed. Maybe if JY speaks faster it’ll force you to pay attention.

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    903 karma

Another thing I thought of, maybe its an adrenaline crash? Ive been so stoked to start a section then after the 4th or 5th question my adrenaline would subside and I would crash.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

The two ways I found to stay alert in undergrad, but also when studying for the LSAT were exercising plenty and drinking lots of water.

• jyarmojyarmo Alum Member
    350 karma

I can totally relate to the focus/exhaustion thing and agree with all the above. I would also definitely recommend breaking down your study sessions so that you give yourself a reward after 35-45 minutes. I usually get up and get a cup of tea or a piece of fruit, check Instagram - (or play with my dogs, check the forums here, you get the idea)-whatever, but just a 5-ish minute breather. This idea is from this: https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn
    which was recommended on one of the threads here. I have to admit to not finishing the entire course but I watched most of it and found it helpful to have a better understanding of exactly what it is our brains are doing (and why it can be so draining). I also use the toggl app to help me track my time studying. Good luck!

• e_217Case_217Cas Alum Member
    59 karma

Thanks All. Maybe I am burnt out who knows. Going to give all your suggestions a shot! I already workout to help relieve stress, now its the staying focused part I gotta work on. For now Im just sticking to coffee, and every now and then redbull.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

I second speeding up the lessons a little. That has helped my focus a bit. I snack, have started taking B vitamins more regularly, and I take breaks. Sometimes, it takes a little while for your brain to absorb it. On one example, I had just finished the NA lessons and did some questions from the question bank. Did horrendous. Went and took a long shower, grabbed some food, came back. Did some other questions, all hard to hardest. Did fantastic. Sometimes, I think our brain just needs time to process. And that's okay. I'd rather have more quality studying done than more PT's under my belt. I also star certain lessons (especially the ones with flashcards), and review them often.

• bernardita.agyekumbernardita.agyekum Core Member
    64 karma

I feel the same way.