Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you fool-proof?

AshleighKAshleighK Alum Member
edited June 2018 in Logic Games 786 karma

Just beginning my fool-proofing process and I'm curious to know what everyone has done/ is doing! Debating between going in order from the different games I come across (for ex: simple sequencing examples then the problem sets then sequencing w/ a twist it's examples then its problem sets etc) or jumping around wherever I feel like.

Good luck to those testing next week!

Fool proofing process
  1. I...40 votes
    1. Go in order until I master each individual game
      72.50%
    2. Jump around different types based on my weakness first
      22.50%
    3. Jump around different types based on my weakness first
        5.00%

Comments

• mrbuttonsmrbuttons Alum Member
    179 karma

Personally for me I did jump around games however only within the same category. For example with sequencing games I started off with a few of them. Tried one, saw how to do it with JY's explanation and then move on to a new game with the sequencing category. This is how I realized and better see that a lot of the inferences they make you make are the same game after game. Then I moved back to the first one I tried and so on. I found this helped a lot and trust me I used to be TERRIBLE at games. They are now probably my best section and now I am currently conquering READING COMP...=(

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

I'm going in order with each individual game. I feel like if I did a group of a bunch at one time I'd master those but then after doing a bunch of another I'd forget the tricks in the types I just mastered. I plan on going back and doing a bunch of whichever I have the most problem with after I finish all in the sequence if I need to.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@AshleighK said:
    Just beginning my fool-proofing process and I'm curious to know what everyone has done/ is doing! Debating between going in order from the different games I come across (for ex: simple sequencing examples then the problem sets then sequencing w/ a twist it's examples then its problem sets etc) or jumping around wherever I feel like.

I think learning LG by type is the best approach. They all share so many similarities that it wasn't until I drilled grouping/in-and-out games, etc. that I really was able to nail them down.

Once I drilled all the games by type from PTs 1-38, I did timed sections from 29-38, 42-51, and 52-61.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

I started foolproofing what's in the curriculum. The sequencing unit is about 40 games alone with all the problem sets. I found this super helpful because you get exposure to everything through the curriculum so by foolproofing those it's easier to see patterns and identify weaknesses.

• paulmv.benthempaulmv.benthem Alum Member
    1032 karma

Admittedly, I did begin by foolproofing games individually from PT1-35 in order, and then I began doing full timed sections from PT38-55. At the beginning of doing the full timed sections, I was regularly going -1 or -0 per section under timed conditions. However, I did begin finding myself slipping a bit as I began to divert more of my time and attention to LR. So, I've recently gone back and begun focusing on drilling specific types of setups.

Something that I found helpful was to list in a document all the different categories of setups (https://7sage.com/lesson/logic-games-boards-summary/), and then I added my own description to each game without watching the video, including my own mock write up of the game set up. Forcing myself to think hard about what kind of scenario would employ each board has really help with my confidence and efficiency with setting up board. While that doesn't necessarily help with how you choose to do foolproofing, I think it does indicate that there's a lot of value to focusing on individual types during the process to get a good hold on what sort of moves you're wanting to make when during the game.

Hope that helps!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I did 1-35 in order the first 15 or so sections by individual game and then by sections. After that I just did them after I did that game in a PT. I thought the main advantage of going in order was just that it was easy as far as organization. I planned to do one new PT of games a day, redo it at least once, do the games from the day before, and do the games from one week before. For me it was nice to have the sense of progress of knowing I had done blank PTs of games.

Just so you know, your poll says "Jump around different types based on my weakness first" twice which is making the current blowout in favor of going in order even more pronounced.

• btate87btate87 Alum Member
    edited June 2018 782 karma

I did both. I went 1-35 in order. Then I divided them all by type and did them again.

• NovLSAT2019NovLSAT2019 Alum Member
    edited June 2018 620 karma

@keets993 said:
    I started foolproofing what's in the curriculum. The sequencing unit is about 40 games alone with all the problem sets. I found this super helpful because you get exposure to everything through the curriculum so by foolproofing those it's easier to see patterns and identify weaknesses.

That’s what I’ve done. I’ve been fool proofing the bundle recently and I’m glad I did what @keets993 said because I now notice that sequencing games (fool proofed them while going through CC) are pretty much freebies.

Do you guys also print out copious amount of paper? I feel like I need a paper supplier. I’ve done fool proofing using just notebook paper by jotting down question numbers (like a scantron) on the side and drawing out all of my game boards and rules on that paper—keeping the printed out section unmarked. I do this a few times until I feel like I “own” the game then proceed to the unmarked section to emulate it for the last time before moving on.

• jkjohnson1991jkjohnson1991 Alum Member
    766 karma

For the people doing the games by type, is there somewhere where the games are divided by type? Or did you all just go through and separate them yourself? I’m just going 1-35 in order now but would like to possibly do them by game once I’m done so I’m curious. I have zero issue with separating them myself but obviously would like to save the time if possible. Thanks in advance.

• AshleighKAshleighK Alum Member
    786 karma

@BrianSeo said:

@keets993 said:

That’s what I’ve done. I’ve been fool proofing the bundle recently and I’m glad I did what @keets993 said because I now notice that sequencing games (fool proofed them while going through CC) are pretty much freebies.

Do you guys also print out copious amount of paper? I feel like I need a paper supplier. I’ve done fool proofing using just notebook paper by jotting down question numbers (like a scantron) on the side and drawing out all of my game boards and rules on that paper—keeping the printed out section unmarked. I do this a few times until I feel like I “own” the game then proceed to the unmarked section to emulate it for the last time before moving on.

@BrianSeo Omg I feel terrible for how much paper I've used up between the LGs and the PTs. My aunt has an office in the hospital she works at so I've been sending my stuff to print. It's finessing at it's finest LOL. Even when I printed problem sets for LR my printer could not handle it and let's face it... ink is expensive. But definitely, sequencing games are freebies. LG is my strongest but I took a huge break from the December exam until May (I'm going for the September exam) so things that are usually so simple to me have become hard to push out. I type out the examples for each different game type since I only have Premium and I print out the problem sets on top of that. I'm thinking to just go ahead and print off the LG games in the free LG section too but man so much paper!

786 karma

@mrbuttons said:
    Personally for me I did jump around games however only within the same category. For example with sequencing games I started off with a few of them. Tried one, saw how to do it with JY's explanation and then move on to a new game with the sequencing category. This is how I realized and better see that a lot of the inferences they make you make are the same game after game. Then I moved back to the first one I tried and so on. I found this helped a lot and trust me I used to be TERRIBLE at games. They are now probably my best section and now I am currently conquering READING COMP...=(

Yeah I typically do that too! I think that's the best way to learn in a process of trial and error! I figured since I'm doing 2 games in one sitting chances of me remembering what I did before will be low until I fully memorize/ understand deeply what's going on. I feel you! LG is my best now but RC and LR are tied in being my weakest in comparison. I think the best way to conquer RC is all about attitude while reading the stories to keep yourself engaged and soaking up the main ideas. Good luck!

786 karma

@tringo335 said:
    I'm going in order with each individual game. I feel like if I did a group of a bunch at one time I'd master those but then after doing a bunch of another I'd forget the tricks in the types I just mastered. I plan on going back and doing a bunch of whichever I have the most problem with after I finish all in the sequence if I need to.

Yeah that's what I originally wanted to do but I felt the same way. If I went from doing a sequencing game to an in/out or whatever the case is, I'd definitely forget and set myself back. I think this is the best way to absorb everything in the fool-proof process. Good luck :)

786 karma

@Alex said:

@AshleighK said:

I think learning LG by type is the best approach. They all share so many similarities that it wasn't until I drilled grouping/in-and-out games, etc. that I really was able to nail them down.

Once I drilled all the games by type from PTs 1-38, I did timed sections from 29-38, 42-51, and 52-61.

Thank you! Even as I'm finishing up the LG section of the CC I can already tell everything really builds on each other. How long did it take you to drill PTs 1-38 games?

786 karma

@keets993 said:

That's what I've been doing too! I type up the examples since I only have the premium course on top of the problem sets and it really has helped me out! There's a lot to choose from. I like that for LG it's really limited in the sense of what they can ask you and there really isn't that much of a difference. The only thing I hate is substitution rules in the newer games, ugh. Such a time suck

786 karma

@"paulmv.benthem" said:
    Admittedly, I did begin by foolproofing games individually from PT1-35 in order, and then I began doing full timed sections from PT38-55. At the beginning of doing the full timed sections, I was regularly going -1 or -0 per section under timed conditions. However, I did begin finding myself slipping a bit as I began to divert more of my time and attention to LR. So, I've recently gone back and begun focusing on drilling specific types of setups.

Something that I found helpful was to list in a document all the different categories of setups (https://7sage.com/lesson/logic-games-boards-summary/), and then I added my own description to each game without watching the video, including my own mock write up of the game set up. Forcing myself to think hard about what kind of scenario would employ each board has really help with my confidence and efficiency with setting up board. While that doesn't necessarily help with how you choose to do foolproofing, I think it does indicate that there's a lot of value to focusing on individual types during the process to get a good hold on what sort of moves you're wanting to make when during the game.

Hope that helps!

That's such a great idea! Similarly, I try to write little notes next to questions I got wrong or games I did poorly on so I can remember what messed me up. For example, I'll say things like "misinterpreted rule 2 that stated ___" or "messed up the game board because __". I think learning is effective this way because it forces you to face your mistakes! That's also a big fear of mine that while I'm focusing so much on LG I'll forget LR or start to dip. I'm almost done with the CC so I haven't PTed yet and if I'm honest I'm scared to drill LR because I'll be discouraged if my score goes down since I've focused on LG. :(

786 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    I did 1-35 in order the first 15 or so sections by individual game and then by sections. After that I just did them after I did that game in a PT. I thought the main advantage of going in order was just that it was easy as far as organization. I planned to do one new PT of games a day, redo it at least once, do the games from the day before, and do the games from one week before. For me it was nice to have the sense of progress of knowing I had done blank PTs of games.

Just so you know, your poll says "Jump around different types based on my weakness first" twice which is making the current blowout in favor of going in order even more pronounced.

That's something I was considering doing too. With each day that passes, add a new game to the pile and try to run through it once then do them all again at the end. I think this can help you track your progression and stay on track. For me, I find LG to be an ideal section to drill on days off or easy days! And thanks for pointing it out. I had a loooonggg day going through the In/Out LG section and by the end of it I was brain dead. I noticed my mistake after I posted the poll :(

786 karma

@btate87 said:
    I did both. I went 1-35 in order. Then I divided them all by type and did them again.

Did you ever stop to focus solely on a particular game you had trouble with then returned to your normal schedule or you just kept pushing on?

786 karma

@jkjohnson1991 said:
    For the people doing the games by type, is there somewhere where the games are divided by type? Or did you all just go through and separate them yourself? I’m just going 1-35 in order now but would like to possibly do them by game once I’m done so I’m curious. I have zero issue with separating them myself but obviously would like to save the time if possible. Thanks in advance.

If you click on resources, LSAT Question bank, I believe there's a function that does it for you. I haven't used it myself yet but I know early in the CC J.Y explains how to use it.

786 karma

Does anyone know if the LG 1-38 can be printed off if you upgrade to Ultimate?

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

@AshleighK You have access to every PT with Ultimate+ so you can just print the PTs but they aren't packaged like they are with PTs 1-35.

786 karma

@Emily2122 said:
    @AshleighK You have access to every PT with Ultimate+ so you can just print the PTs but they aren't packaged like they are with PTs 1-35.

Ahh okay thanks. I'm just trying to decide what's the best way to access PTs 1-35 for LG fool-proofing. I was looking into just buying packs of the PTs and photocopying but I'm unsure whether or not it's cost-effective.

• btate87btate87 Alum Member
    edited June 2018 782 karma

@AshleighK Yes and no. I never really stopped the fool proofing train, but I did focus on troublesome games. I did every game at least twice on each pass (so 4 total). Games that I had any ounce of hesitation on I kept in the rotation. I constantly had one pile of games from my fool proofing queue and a separate pile of games that were being reviewed a 3rd, 4th, etc. time. So I was often working on 10-20 games per day (the tougher the games in a day, the fewer I did, though). Hopefully that makes sense haha

3679 karma

@AshleighK said:

@tringo335 said:

Yeah that's what I originally wanted to do but I felt the same way. If I went from doing a sequencing game to an in/out or whatever the case is, I'd definitely forget and set myself back. I think this is the best way to absorb everything in the fool-proof process. Good luck :)

You too! isnt foolproofing just the best! --__--

786 karma

@tringo335 said:

@AshleighK said:

@tringo335 said:

I love it! Best way to spend my summer! I just BRed a LR section since I've sort of neglected it once I completed that section of the CC. Man is it draining :(

3679 karma

@AshleighK said:

@tringo335 said:

@AshleighK said:

@tringo335 said:

I love it! Best way to spend my summer! I just BRed a LR section since I've sort of neglected it once I completed that section of the CC. Man is it draining :(

SO DRAINING lol ... thats the best word to describe it. I"m currently sitting in a coffee shop after 9 hours of work about to start my next LG game. Lawd help me....

786 karma

@tringo335 said:

@AshleighK said:

@tringo335 said:

@AshleighK said:

@tringo335 said:

SO DRAINING lol ... thats the best word to describe it. I"m currently sitting in a coffee shop after 9 hours of work about to start my next LG game. Lawd help me....

Isn't it crazy how fast time passes?! Yesterday I was on the In/Out lesson from 10:30am-6:00pm because I realized I was hungry and never ate LOL. How do you like studying in a noisy environment? Do you usually do your PTs there or just drilling/ foolproofing/ lessons? I want to try to change my study environments to test how well I can concentrate with various distractions.

• jkjohnson1991jkjohnson1991 Alum Member
    766 karma

@AshleighK thank you so much.

786 karma

@jkjohnson1991 said:
    @AshleighK thank you so much.

No problem! Lucky you, you have Ultimate + so it won't be a problem for you! I have to type them out so I don't get to know which type they are unless I make note of it :(
    Good luck!

• TortsillustratedTortsillustrated Alum Member
    80 karma

@BrianSeo

I am only a tad bit into the 1-35 bundle, my wife and I moved on a whim during my prime post CC period, but what I find helpful that I actually used a lot while teaching is sheet protectors.

I put the game in the sheet protector and write on it with a fine tip expo marker. This allows me to erase the board when I’m done, but still have the same piece of paper. I used to use this method a lot when I did stations in my classroom, to save time at the copy machine and paper. Obviously it stinks not using a pencil, but for me my fool proofing is not about real testing conditions but truly mastering the games presented to me. It also allows me to not have to carry copious amounts of paper with me wherever I amamos rushing nor have a pile of games on my desk.

I also normally have two sheet protectors out side by side so I am not flipping one over constantly or taking a picture of my main game board to reference back too. I hope this helps you, it’s been a tree saver and a life saver for me.

620 karma

@Tortsillustrated said:
    @BrianSeo

I am only a tad bit into the 1-35 bundle, my wife and I moved on a whim during my prime post CC period, but what I find helpful that I actually used a lot while teaching is sheet protectors.

I put the game in the sheet protector and write on it with a fine tip expo marker. This allows me to erase the board when I’m done, but still have the same piece of paper. I used to use this method a lot when I did stations in my classroom, to save time at the copy machine and paper. Obviously it stinks not using a pencil, but for me my fool proofing is not about real testing conditions but truly mastering the games presented to me. It also allows me to not have to carry copious amounts of paper with me wherever I amamos rushing nor have a pile of games on my desk.

I also normally have two sheet protectors out side by side so I am not flipping one over constantly or taking a picture of my main game board to reference back too. I hope this helps you, it’s been a tree saver and a life saver for me.

Good. God. Jesus. Almighty. Christ. Brain. Orgasm.
    THANK. YOU.

786 karma

@Tortsillustrated said:
    @BrianSeo

I was considering doing this but I was hesitant because of the whole not using a pencil thing. But since you've addressed this concern and state that it doesn't hinder your ability to master the games, I'll move forward with it! Good to hear you progressed while saving paper AND ink :)

• ecarr_12ecarr_12 Live Member
    187 karma

Depends on how well you can hold information/tricks to pick up inferences. I personally constantly need to be doing games at random to keep myself on my toes. For instance, easier games are just as important to perfect as are harder games (after all, all questions are worth the same amount). If you only practice harder games, it is not completely uncommon to get tripped up on easier games. When it comes to logic games, a well rounded grasp is needed. I've been steadily fool proofing for about 3 months and have reached the point where I actually love logic games lol getting there is totally possible just have to push through the initial awfulness of it first. Good luck !!

3679 karma

@AshleighK said:

@tringo335 said:

@AshleighK said:

@tringo335 said:

@AshleighK said:

@tringo335 said:

Isn't it crazy how fast time passes?! Yesterday I was on the In/Out lesson from 10:30am-6:00pm because I realized I was hungry and never ate LOL. How do you like studying in a noisy environment? Do you usually do your PTs there or just drilling/ foolproofing/ lessons? I want to try to change my study environments to test how well I can concentrate with various distractions.

I have beats headphones and just turn on a fan noise from you tube so I dont hear anything. I actually prefer to be in a populated area because it keeps me more focused ... dont know what that's about lol. I finished the CC a while ago and am foolproofing LG only. It's taking forever because I work full time so only have a few hours to study each night.

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    edited June 2018 774 karma

I did the Pacifico method, which was a godsend.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to be organized. Every day I knew what game I needed to do. I knew my times and previous scores. This kept me on schedule. Once I finished FPing 1-35, I moved on to taking LG sections. This was incredibly helpful for my timing. Highly recommend sections when you finish fool proofing.

786 karma

@teamteamvicster said:

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to be organized. Every day I knew what game I needed to do. I knew my times and previous scores. This kept me on schedule. Once I finished FPing 1-35, I moved on to taking LG sections. This was incredibly helpful for my timing. Highly recommend sections when you finish fool proofing.

Thanks! I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what to do with these problem sets. Do you recommend doing them after I fool-proof or while I fool-proof? I don't want to over do it but I also don't want to neglect the problem sets at the end of each lesson.

786 karma

@tringo335 said:

@AshleighK said:

@tringo335 said:

@AshleighK said:

@tringo335 said:

@AshleighK said:

@tringo335 said:

I have beats headphones and just turn on a fan noise from you tube so I dont hear anything. I actually prefer to be in a populated area because it keeps me more focused ... dont know what that's about lol. I finished the CC a while ago and am foolproofing LG only. It's taking forever because I work full time so only have a few hours to study each night.

Lol that's good though! It really depends on my mood. If I'm in a grind mode I could do that but if it's a chill mood I have to be in a quiet area. And the good thing about that though is that fool-proofing isn't as intense in my opinion as the LR sections. I would find myself on one lessons for at least a few hours. Btw, what did you do with the problem sets at the end of the sections? Did you do them while you were fool-proofing or after you completed the fool-proofing process as drilling sessions?

774 karma

@AshleighK said:

@teamteamvicster said:

Thanks! I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what to do with these problem sets. Do you recommend doing them after I fool-proof or while I fool-proof? I don't want to over do it but I also don't want to neglect the problem sets at the end of each lesson.

I'd do them as you finish each lesson. Then once you finished the CC, do the infamous Pacifico method. Sounds like you're in a good place and thinking ahead!

786 karma

@teamteamvicster said:

@AshleighK said:

@teamteamvicster said:

I'd do them as you finish each lesson. Then once you finished the CC, do the infamous Pacifico method. Sounds like you're in a good place and thinking ahead!

Ahh thank you! <3 I didn't want to overdo it since fool-proofing requires you to already go through 1-35. I've never heard of the Pacifico method, I'll look into it!
    How long did it take you to go through them? I honestly find that the games eventually get to be fun?? LOL. It reminds me of a putting together a puzzle and once you figure out how to do it the first time, you can do it again faster and then the third time it seems like a piece of cake.

774 karma

@AshleighK here you go! https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy/p1
    Took me maybe 2 mos?

Honestly, it's pretty life-changing. You seem to be in a much better spot than when I started. I HATED logic games. I used to be -12 or -14, but I am now consistently at a -1 or -2 on fresh games. Yesterday was my first -0...ever.

786 karma

@teamteamvicster said:
    @AshleighK here you go! https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy/p1
    Took me maybe 2 mos?

Honestly, it's pretty life-changing. You seem to be in a much better spot than when I started. I HATED logic games. I used to be -12 or -14, but I am now consistently at a -1 or -2 on fresh games. Yesterday was my first -0...ever.

Omg that's amazing!! <3 That's my goal to hit -0 in LG! IMO, LG is the easiest section to improve and honestly, it's really not that hard once you get the hang of it. Do you find that now when you try other sections from newer LG sections it's a breeze for you since you've seen similar game types before??
    Before I started fool-proofing, I was sort of fool-proofing the practice sets and honestly, even after the 2nd time you begin to catch on. I'm going on vacation so I was a bit worried about whether or not I could fool-proof in time before September.

620 karma

@Tortsillustrated , I’ve been using the sheet protector for past few days. It is WONDERFUL!!!!

edited June 2018 774 karma

@AshleighK said:
    Do you find that now when you try other sections from newer LG sections it's a breeze for you since you've seen similar game types before??

Yes! It definitely helps. Some games I have to double check and be like....wait haven't I seen this before?! There are still some games that give me trouble, though. Like I will read a rule wrong or something silly like that. There is always room for improvement!

Before I started fool-proofing, I was sort of fool-proofing the practice sets and honestly, even after the 2nd time you begin to catch on. I'm going on vacation so I was a bit worried about whether or not I could fool-proof in time before September.

Sounds like you totally have this in the bag! You'll have plenty of time and are already off Tina great start!

786 karma

@teamteamvicster said:

@AshleighK said:
    Do you find that now when you try other sections from newer LG sections it's a breeze for you since you've seen similar game types before??

Yes! It definitely helps. Some games I have to double check and be like....wait haven't I seen this before?! There are still some games that give me trouble, though. Like I will read a rule wrong or something silly like that. There is always room for improvement!

Sounds like you totally have this in the bag! You'll have plenty of time and are already off Tina great start!

Yesss that happens to me too! When I know I'm under a time constraint I get anxious and rush through in case I become short on time and that always is a mistake. The worst part is listening to the explanations and messing up ONE rule which completely screws me over :( Thank you for the encouragement!

786 karma

Guys I just wanted to say this was my third time doing PT 1 timed
    1st time (under flexible time constraints) to try to figure it out on my own
    2nd try after the explanation and stop watch timed aiming under 35 mins
    3rd try: after 2nd time watching explanation and aiming under 35 mins

I MASTERED THIS PT SET OF GAMES I'M SO HAPPY :') <3 I almost cried out of frustration trying to wrap my head around the rules in game 4 (the ticket game) I'm so proud!!!

• TortsillustratedTortsillustrated Alum Member
    80 karma

@BrianSeo here’s a link to> @BrianSeo said:

@Tortsillustrated , I’ve been using the sheet protector for past few days. It is WONDERFUL!!!!

Glad to hear it!