Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA: "10 point max improvement" theory

LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
in General 4850 karma

Just a note (and a back-door brag). A year ago I laid down a 147 on a cold diagnostic. Fast forward to February 2018, I put a 159 on the board with my first "real" LSAT administration. Today, I finally scored my latest PT which I took last week at a 169 (timed, 5 section). That's a 22 point improvement over my cold diagnostic. I'm happy because that's the 75th LSAT percentile of my stretch school. I know I need to keep grinding to push it up more and then actually repeat that performance or better on test day in July and September.

You can learn the test. I am exhibit A. Just trust the process and do the work.

Comments

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

good work - go ahead and humble brag congrats

• btate87btate87 Alum Member
    782 karma

That's awesome! Congrats!

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

Congrats! I don't know who made up that you can only improve ten points from your diagnostic but that's total bs. Like you said, do the work and you'll see the results.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

These are the type of stories that keep me motivated. Keep up the awesome work!

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

So glad you posted this! And congrats! I've been feeling a little hopeless lately. I had a 155 diagnostic, and my LR drill (timed, used like a PT) score only bumped me up 7 questions... which is only 4 points. I'm hoping to improve my LR more (from -15 to -8) and then improve a lot on LG.

• FoolProofFunFoolProofFun Alum Member
    122 karma

SWAG — hitting the 75th percentile of your stretch school. That is a beautiful concept that should probably be named after you.

The name LSAT Wrecker is well-deserved.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

That's great!! Keep up the good work!!

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

Ayyy congrats!! I absolutely abhor the "most people can only improve by 10 points" claim that's out there. 7sage out here providing counter examples

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

Congrats!!

I thought this post contained a PSA question. lol

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

If it helps, my diagnostic was 146, I scored a 166 in the Sept 2017 test, and will be re-taking this September to hopefully get 170+ SO IT IS DEFINITELY POSSIBLE TO IMPROVE WAY MORE THAN 10 POINTS :) Keep up the good work !!!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Congratulations! It's always good to see another person prove the LSAT tests skills which are learnable.

If someone failed a math test we wouldn't tell them that they probably only have a maximum potential of getting a D. We would say it is going to take some hard work, but the skill is learnable. It's the same thing with a diagnostic in the 120's or 130's. It is just as bad an idea for those already doing pretty well too. We wouldn't tell someone who got an A- on a math test without studying that they don't need to study and have already done well enough to demonstrate they have potential. And someone who quickly gets to a high 160's score shouldn't be told not to keep striving.

At a law school I visited before my retake they asked me my numbers when talking about how competitive their admissions were. They were shocked I was retaking a good score because people in that range don't improve more than a point or two. In a world where your LSAT score matters quite a bit more than 4 years of undergrad and way more than the entire rest of your life story and it is a learnable test it is worth studying and improving no matter what score you have or at least till you are above the 75th of your goal schools (the @LSAT_Wrecker standard)!

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" where were you when I was struggling in math and decided that it's just not my thing???

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@keets993 said:
    @"Seeking Perfection" where were you when I was struggling in math and decided that it's just not my thing???

I was struggling with math too. It was infuriating, but people kept telling me it was learnable. And it was, but I also learned that I would prefer to spend my time learning some other learnable skill I liked bettter.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited June 2018 1866 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker Congrats, that's awesome!

I also started with a 147 on my diagnostic. Took my first real exam today so we'll see how that turns out at the end of the month!

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

@keets993 said:

I was struggling with math too. It was infuriating, but people kept telling me it was learnable. And it was, but I also learned that I would prefer to spend my time learning some other learnable skill I liked bettter.

That was exactly my thought process for ditching my first major to pursue a major I was actively interested in.