Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I skip right to LG lessons?

princeoftroyprinceoftroy Member
in Logic Games 15 karma

I am planning on taking the September LSAT. I only began studying a few weeks ago, and have been following the study schedule provided by 7sage. However, I am most concerned with working on the logic games which is the section I struggle the most with. Does anyone know if it is necessary to follow the syllabus in the order in which the study schedule provides it? Or would I be fine skipping right to logic games?

Thanks!

Comments

• jkjohnson1991jkjohnson1991 Alum Member
    766 karma

You can, but I wouldn’t.
    There are some lessons in the logic section, particularly the advanced logic section that will help you a great deal on LG’s.

• LivingThatLSATdreamLivingThatLSATdream Alum Member
    500 karma

I studied for the dec 2017 test using powerscore bibles so I understood most of the basics. However, I have gone through the CC in order since “re-studying” and found it really helpful. Some topics I go through quicker than others. But I would recommend starting at beginning. The logic game is the most learnable so you should get it by September even going through most/all the CC. You don’t want to rush the basics. Learn at a pace that works for you. Good luck!

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

@jkjohnson1991 said:
    You can, but I wouldn’t.

This. Be patient young grasshopper. You'll get to LG soon enough. When you do, spend more time on it because everything is so formulaic.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

I agree with everyone else. I wanted to skip right to it also but did LR first. The LR lessons come into play with some of LG so better to start there so you are not wondering what JY is talking about when he explains some of the games.

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    1184 karma

Coming from somebody who did the curriculum twice, definitely go in order . You need to master each lesson to prepare for the next one . Don’t move on unless you are comfortable that you have mastered the previous ones. The logic lessons definitely comes into play for LG. I definitely learned the hard way that you can’t skip or fly through lessons without paying for it, hence why I went through the curriculum twice.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

If you can map out sufficient/necessary conditional chains and know your conditional indicators, you can probably do it well enough.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited June 2018 3652 karma

Definitely not. I was a philosophy major and took many logic classes. I skipped through the first section on grammar and logic, straight into LR. I thought all the quizzes were too much work and I should already know this from my philosophy classes. In the LR section I answered mostly off intuition since I skipped (and hence didn’t understand) the first part of the curriculum re logic fundamentals. I didn’t truly understand the mechanics of LSAT logic. Once I got to LG I had no idea what I was doing. The beginning of the curriculum is where you should spend a lot of time and not move on until you are fluent in logic.
    Now is not the time to be over eager or egoistic.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

@"surfy surf", It's definitely interesting that a college logic class can be quite different from the skills on this exam.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited June 2018 3652 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    @"surfy surf", It's definitely interesting that a college logic class can be quite different from the skills on this exam.

They are pretty similar in a lot of ways but for me nothing really clicked once I started studying for the lsat. I think if I took 7sage cc and auditted a logic class concurrently it would be useful bc I would view the logic class in terms of the lsat and vice versa. Also since i was mostly focused on getting an A and I was confused as hell the whole class, I did not retain much.. so it might just be my personal issue lol

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    1028 karma

I skipped straight to the LG and RC sections, but I already had a good background in LR from the Trainer and Powerscore prior to 7Sage. In retrospect, I wish I had done it in order (and only used 7Sage). It didn't hurt me since I already had solid diagramming and formal logic background, but it definitely wasn't ideal. I'm probably going to review the LG section as I get ready for a retake.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

I skipped right to it and ended up regretting that. It's probably not going to hurt you but the course is probably best done in order. Also Logical reasoning makes up 2 sections! Don't worry too much about LG. You'd get there and you will see significant improvement!

• edited June 2018 439 karma

If you're geting like -x in LR and RC already and -xtimes2 in LG, I'd recommend skipping straight to LG.

Obviously you want to do all of the CC in the order it's presented, but sometimes it can be worth it to skip around.

The best thing would be to skip a cycle and apply next time with a years worth of improvements under your belt.

• Henry123Henry123 Alum Member
    37 karma

I thought about doing this, but was glad I didn't. As said before there's a lot of stuff in the earlier curriculum that you won't understand if you just go to logic games.

• shegotitshegotit Member
    211 karma

I recommend going through the course first and like most said spending more time on the section that you need more time on. Most of the time JY uses terminology from previous lessons and if you just skip to LG there is a strong possibility that you will not understand what he is talking about and then you will have wasted valuable time.

• princeoftroyprinceoftroy Member
    15 karma

Thank you all so much for the advice I really appreciate it! I have decided to take it slowly and work my way through the cc rather than skip right to LG :)