Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT or GRE?

sx23sx23 Alum Member

Hi y'all! I read your discussion on GRE for application but just wonder what do you all think about whether GRE or LSAT might be better for me. I majored in Biology and had a high uGPA (3.9+). People say STEM majors tend to have an advantage in GRE. What if I take both and apply with a 25th percentile LSAT for Columbia but a high GRE verbal (168-169 out of 170)?

Thanks in advance!

GRE/LSAT?
  1. What test should I take?35 votes
    1. LSAT
      85.71%
    2. GRE
      14.29%

Comments

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    edited June 2018 1028 karma

You're on an LSAT forum. I have a feeling you know what the resounding answer here will be...

With that said, take the LSAT. It's still the status quo. Almost everyone matriculating at top schools is relying on the LSAT even though a few schools are accepting the GRE.

If you're going to take the LSAT, don't bother with the GRE. Just put all of your time into getting an above median LSAT. If you can pull a 99th percentile GRE, you can pull a 99th percentile LSAT. It's a very learnable test

I come from a mixed STEM/humanities background and didn't find STEM to be a handicap on the LSAT—in fact, it was probably a positive factor in being able to grasp the formal logic at the core of the arguments in LR and the setup for LG.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

We don’t have enough information to say “take the GRE” yet. It’s just too risky. The LSAT is a winnable, tried and true method for admission at top schools.

• edited June 2018 439 karma

@LastLSAT said:
    You're on an LSAT forum. I have a feeling you know what the resounding answer here will be...

This

@Ohnoeshalpme said:
    We don’t have enough information to say “take the GRE” yet. It’s just too risky. The LSAT is a winnable, tried and true method for admission at top schools.

Also this.

I feel like applying to law school with a GRE is a less streamlined process right now. Just try the LSAT. A 3.9 in BIO, you're probably smart enough to do well on it.

Interesting to consider taking both though... I can't imagine an admissions officer giving anyone an advantage for applying with both and I think a law school would ignore the GRE given a choice between the two. But I have no idea.

• splitter_sagasplitter_saga Free Trial Member
    edited August 2018 60 karma

I took both... then called around to the T20ish schools that were accepting the GRE, and at least a few months ago when I did this, they said they were looking for GRE scores in the top 3-5% on EVERY section V/Q/AWA to be competitive, and they did not express a stated preference for the verbal over the quant section, so take that as you will.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

LSAT. The GRE is something you can entertain later on down the road should you decide to get a dual degree. Most schools allow you to apply while you are in your first year or even afterwards.

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

The LSAT. Also will note that your experience in STEM fields may help you with the lsat as well; specifically with logic games and formulaic LR.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

Personally found my Biology background to be an advantage on the LSAT, particularly the reading comp. section for all the science passages. However, I agree with other posters that if you are going for a dual degree then take the GRE.

• I'd say... try em both. It can't hurt. See what you tend to lean towards, and then choose what to submit. If you do both, you can always send both (good/great) scores to the admissions team. I recommend seeing how ya do on both, honestly.