Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

URM AAf 3.4 169 shot at Yale?

urmyalelawurmyalelaw Free Trial Member

URM AAf 3.4 169 shot at Yale?

Title says it all

I’m 28
Lots of good softs
Work experience

I can’t retake

Comments

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Your shots are not insignificant. I would probably say just under a 50/50. It depends on your major, your school, and whether you tell a compelling story in all of your essays, especially that Y250.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

A top 10 school, yes. Yale, maybe.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    edited July 2018 3279 karma

I don't think there are enough URM applicants with your stats for us to hypothesize your shot of being admitted. Put together a strong application and blanket a bunch of the top schools early. If you don't get into Yale, I think you'll have a good shot at getting into another great school.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

From reading dozens of message boards I can say your certainly have a shot. Worth applying but keep in mind Yale is one of the toughest schools for splitters (aside from being the most selective in general).

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Saw your post on reddit. You can retake

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Yale is never for sure, you have a chance though, given the AAF minority/viewpoint. Good luck :)

• Nunuboy1994Nunuboy1994 Free Trial Member
    346 karma

You could always try to apply to Yale SOM first since you’re gpa is within its 80 percent range and then do a JD/MBA. Are you good at math? The GRE is pretty easy you should be able to score high.

• Nunuboy1994Nunuboy1994 Free Trial Member
    346 karma

I think you would have a better shot if you apply to Yale SOM first and then apply to Yale Law

• urmyalelawurmyalelaw Free Trial Member
    7 karma

M> @Nunuboy1994 said:

I think you would have a better shot if you apply to Yale SOM first and then apply to Yale Law

can you give me more info please? can you PM/DM me?

• urmyalelawurmyalelaw Free Trial Member
    7 karma

thanks for your reply everyone.

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

Not sure the value of this data point, but I had a 3.7 and 175 and did not get into Yale this past cycle (I’m also first-gen and was finishing up my PhD if that helps; the latter soft doesn’t seem to matter as much as the first). So it’s not a shoe in for your numbers, but you definitely have a shot. I would say that your GPA is going to be more of a barrier than your LSAT score. Make sure you work to really tailor your application materials as well as apply early (even though it isn’t supposed to matter for Yale; I suspect, from looking at admissions data available across forums, it does however).In any case, good luck!

• Tom_TangoTom_Tango Alum Member
    902 karma

LSAC gpa/lsat calculator

• Seleti FinauSeleti Finau Alum Member
    8 karma

Yale claims to not base their decision on GPA LSAT alone but it is EXTREMELY rare for Yale to accept anyone under a 3.5 even with a high 170s LSAT score.

• whatsmynamewhatsmyname Member
    edited January 2021 606 karma

@"Seleti Finau" said:
    Yale claims to not base their decision on GPA LSAT alone but it is EXTREMELY rare for Yale to accept anyone under a 3.5 even with a high 170s LSAT score.

Maybe if you have a good reason for a low GPA? Like a chronic health issue or serious family problem during your studies or something? I'm sure there are exceptions.

The question is, is an education at Yale better than a non T-14 school, or is it more about networks/connections/prestige? And why does everyone like Yale so much. How about Harvard or Stanford?

I think if you can nail a mid to high 70s, it's worth trying to do something exceptional over the course of an year then reapplying for next cycle. After you get such a high LSAT, you just need the special extra ingredient to tip scale.