Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Funny things in the news) There it is..

....the dumbest thing I will read all day:

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2018/09/duke-law-applicant-sues-after-his-application-is-dismissed-because-he-did-not-take-the-lsat

I mean.. we all joke about doing that.. Some, I'm sure, have been angry enough to say it out loud. But no one has been dumb enough to try it. Until now.

Comments

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

Yeah this guy... "LSAT tests today are junk science and called 'games'" Is he saying LSAT is stupid because we call analytical reasoning "games"? :smile:

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

I saw this the other day. I guess we are all doing it wrong. I've already put an attorney on retainer, hoping to make it a class-action :wink:

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma
  • cribcrackercribcracker Alum Member
    68 karma

"In memory of Eleanor Roosevelt"

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8700 karma

As others have pointed out on another forum, this person hit a couple of notes that often emanate from the "sovereign citizen" corner of the US populace. As future lawyers, many of us might come across an individual who holds some of these beliefs. I think the positive thing that can come of this story is a general awareness for us future lawyers who these people are and what very generally they believe.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:
    As others have pointed out on another forum, this person hit a couple of notes that often emanate from the "sovereign citizen" corner of the US populace. As future lawyers, many of us might come across an individual who holds some of these beliefs. I think the positive thing that can come of this story is a general awareness for us future lawyers who these people are and what very generally they believe.

I'm definitely not familiar with this movement until googling this now. Interesting. What parts of what he claims are in line with that?

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    I saw this the other day. I guess we are all doing it wrong. I've already put an attorney on retainer, hoping to make it a class-action :wink:

I'm in.

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    edited September 2018 1091 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

@BinghamtonDave said:

I'm definitely not familiar with this movement until googling this now. Interesting. What parts of what he claims are in line with that?

The part where he uses irrelevant, obscure, or disparate pieces of law to try and get back at people because his feelings were hurt, combined with the undercurrent of him being "woke" to some (minor) issue (the LSAT being imperfect). Also the very act of applying without the LSAT reeks of someone with an axe to grind, as many of these sovereign citizens do.

EDIT: holy moly. If you read his complaint it gets worse. See 1b.

"The LSAT test is based on ideology rather than science, and is planned, organized, coordinated, budgeted and administered by radicals who ignore our law, our history, our culture, ethics and probably all of western civilization law."

This plays right in to the Sovereign Citizen narrative that they are the ones "woke" to the true rights of Americans. A common tactic of theirs (to display their wokeness to the law) is to intentionally provoke law-enforcement responses to things like wearing a balaclava and walking down the street with a rifle.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8700 karma

@"Rigid Designator" is entirely correct. What tips it off to me here is the idea of "failure to provide a republican form of government." See "Fourth Cause Of Action"

• cqas190517cqas190517 Alum Member 🍌
    535 karma

Ok, LSAC having the monopoly on admitting students to most law schools does suck. The LSAT is trash because it costs a bank and a half to prepare for and take, and then you have to pay LSAC to forward your transcripts after you’ve just paid to have your transcripts forwarded to LSAC, and generally the whole process disadvantages those without a CONSIDERABLE amount of time and money from getting into law school. The admissions process is completely ridiculous.

But this guy doesn’t seem to follow any preferential laws and that he got sue-happy because he has a sad.