Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Northwestern online interview questions

_oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
edited October 2018 in General 3652 karma

So I pulled up the first practice question through Kira and it’s “how would you estimate the revenue generated from ticket sales at the London 2012 Olympics”

Is this for real? I don’t even understand the question?? I would hope that in 2012 there would be a computer system that just scans the tickets and does the math for you? Maybe use Quickbooks? Did my Kira interview practice questions get switched with a business school interview??

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I just did my in-person interview w them today... didn’t get anything like that lol.

Sounds like they want to see creativity and good reasoning. But damn. I don’t know what I’d say if asked this live.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited October 2018 3652 karma

@NotMyName said:
    I just did my in-person interview w them today... didn’t get anything like that lol.

Sounds like they want to see creativity and good reasoning. But damn. I don’t know what I’d say if asked this live.

I don’t see what creativity and reasoning can be used for accounting when we have pre existing technology for that.
    I wonder if I can change my interview to in person.. I was just concerned I might have to drive 3 hours in the middle of a weekday and miss work

3652 karma

Is the answer “I would google it” bc it took me 1 second to google the exact answer to that

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Hahahaha what? I had nothing that outlandish with my interview. It was actually all fairly standard.

But here’s another pitch, I love it here at NU! Such a great group of classmates and such a good atmosphere!

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@oshun1 said:

@NotMyName said:

I don’t see what creativity and reasoning can be used for accounting when we have pre existing technology for that.
    I wonder if I can change my interview to in person.. I was just concerned I might have to drive 3 hours in the middle of a weekday and miss work

I did the Kira interview. I got the London Olympics question as one of my practice questions as well, but I didn't get that kind of creative questions for the real thing.

@akistotle said:

@oshun1 said:

@NotMyName said:

I did the Kira interview. I got the London Olympics question as one of my practice questions as well, but I didn't get that kind of creative questions for the real thing.

Omg how did seeing that practice question not give you a panic attack lol

5320 karma

lol I don't want to defend the question because I think it's terribly, unnecessarily cruel and unhelpful for whoever asks it. But if I were asked that I might say something like "Compare the capacity of venues, ticket costs, and ticket price with those used in 2008 and 2016. Take the total ticket unit sales for 2008 and 2016, and based my est for 2012 on this info."

I dno lol. There's really no wrong answer so long as you put forward a rationale. Just like the writing section at the end of the LSAT.

@NotMyName said:

lol I don't want to defend the question because I think it's terribly, unnecessarily cruel and unhelpful for whoever asks it. But if I were asked that I might say something like "Compare the capacity of venues, ticket costs, and ticket price with those used in 2008 and 2016. Take the total ticket unit sales for 2008 and 2016, and based my est for 2012 on this info."

I dno lol. There's really no wrong answer so long as you put forward a rationale. Just like the writing section at the end of the LSAT.

Why would you need to get all comparative just to add up ticket sales for one year lol doesnt revenue just mean total sales?

5320 karma

because price increases could reduce total sales units without reducing revenues etc.

3652 karma

@NotMyName said:
    because price increases could reduce total sales units without reducing revenues etc.

I truly don’t know what that means they don’t teach philosophy majors or paralegals that lololol

5320 karma

hahaha!

Fun Fact: I used to get paid to predict revenues for grocery items like mayonnaise.

9377 karma

@oshun1 said:

@akistotle said:

@oshun1 said:

@NotMyName said:

Omg how did seeing that practice question not give you a panic attack lol

I actually liked that question lol

9377 karma

I was also getting paid to predict revenues for events so.....haha

3652 karma

@NotMyName said:
    hahaha!

Fun Fact: I used to get paid to predict revenues for grocery items like mayonnaise.

You’re gonna crush it in law school!!!

Lord these questions hurt - tell us about a time you motivated change in your community or organization
    My answer - motivated a crappy law firm to use better technology and get rid of their paper files ???

Really wanna go back and tell 16 year old me to get going with starting an animal refuge or something bc you’re gonna have to do a law school interview in almost a decade and you won’t have anything interesting to say about curing cancer

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Hahaha omg! I don’t remember what the practice question was last year but it was nothing like that. Just standard interview questions.

Did you do the interview already?

And ugh I know... my life for the last 12 years has just been... working. And 8 of those years at the same place. I really don’t have very much that’s particularly interesting to talk about lol. Gosh that question would’ve killed me. I still beat myself up over a question I bombed on Cornell’s interview last year haha.

9377 karma

I think you should be prepared to answer these questions: Why law? Why Northwestern?

Other than those two, I think it's all random.

@akistotle said:
    I was also getting paid to predict revenues for events so.....haha

Not fair!!! xD

3652 karma

@akistotle said:
    I think you should be prepared to answer these questions: Why law? Why Northwestern?

Other than those two, I think it's all random.

I’m preparing for every q I’ve found on TLS and reddit lol. These are hard. Even just “talk about when you spoke with someone who had a radically different point of view” is hard. The honest answer is my gay ass stays away from openly radical conservatives for my own wellbeing. If it was an in person job interview I would fake something about how I try not to take sides and just steer the convo away from that question.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

I think it's a standard interview question that tests how you handle stress and problem solving. You can definitely say you would google it, but you should probably follow up with a method that doesn't include google. These types of questions are very common for any other job that requires logic, problem solving, and stress, like consulting, banking, engineering, or marketing. If you're uncomfortable with it, you should apply what you learned in LSAT, and practice until it becomes easier. I use to be terrible with these questions, until I practiced for them. It's actually fairly applicable in real life to be able to answer questions like this. I use to get thrown questions like this fairly often from clients or even higher-ups.

@Bamboosprout said:
    I think it's a standard interview question that tests how you handle stress and problem solving. You can definitely say you would google it, but you should probably follow up with a method that doesn't include google. These types of questions are very common for any other job that requires logic, problem solving, and stress, like consulting, banking, engineering, or marketing. If you're uncomfortable with it, you should apply what you learned in LSAT, and practice until it becomes easier. I use to be terrible with these questions, until I practiced for them. It's actually fairly applicable in real life to be able to answer questions like this. I use to get thrown questions like this fairly often from clients or even higher-ups.

How is this a standard interview question lol
    Apparently working in law firms is the wrong field to prepare for law school interviews

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

@oshun1 said:

@Bamboosprout said:

Apparently working in law firms is the wrong field to prepare for law school interviews

I recall flipping through a book that compiled interview questions for companies like Google and Apple. As far as those companies are concerned, questions like that are indeed quite standard.

• Patz4lifePatz4life Alum Member
    214 karma

That sounds like the types of interviews they give to consultants

3652 karma

@FixedDice yeah exactly this isn’t a question related to law firm jobs

3652 karma

@"Leah M B" I haven’t done the interview yet, I’m aiming to do it this Saturday. You still got into Cornell tho so you couldn’t have bombed it too badly!!

edited November 2018 1694 karma

@oshun1 said:

@Bamboosprout said:

I guess 'standard' is a subjective term. Hahahaha. I've been asked similar questions in... perhaps a majority of my interviews, so it seemed standard to me. The difference could be a geographical consideration, since I've only interviewed in California. I think it also depends on what position and tasks you were charged with at the law firm, and whether you the position requires a significant amount of problem solving without guidelines.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@Bamboosprout said:

@oshun1 said:

@Bamboosprout said:

I guess 'standard' is a subjective term. Hahahaha. I've been asked similar questions in... perhaps a majority of my interviews, so it seemed standard to me. The difference could be a geographical consideration, since I've only interviewed in California. I think it also depends on what position and tasks you were charged with at the law firm, and whether you the position requires a significant amount of problem solving without guidelines.

I think it really just depends on what you do. I've mostly done admin-ish work. Can confirm, never been asked anything like that haha. But also people don't expect admins to know things like that. That just sounds more like a question for someone who's in business development or marketing or something. I have been asked, "What would your process be if a supervisor told you to plan the next staff morale event?" which is 1000 times easier haha.

1694 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

@Bamboosprout said:

@oshun1 said:

@Bamboosprout said:

I think it really just depends on what you do. I've mostly done admin-ish work. Can confirm, never been asked anything like that haha. But also people don't expect admins to know things like that. That just sounds more like a question for someone who's in business development or marketing or something. I have been asked, "What would your process be if a supervisor told you to plan the next staff morale event?" which is 1000 times easier haha.

That question sounds 1000 times harder to me. Lol

3652 karma

I am so bummed I spent all day preparing for the interview and did my hair and everything and the first question the sound went out and then my internet stopped working and now my internet is fine but the interview isn’t giving me the option to start the questions. I wonder if I’m locked out of the interview since I opened it up once. Would it look really bad to call the school about this ughh

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

I would call the school and not worry about it at all (easier said than done, I know). I guarantee this has happened before and its not a new thing to them. At worst, it will be very obvious when they go to watch the video that something is wrong. Admissions people are just people too. They know things happen and most that I have talked with seem to want people to do the best they can.

edited November 2018 3652 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker said:
    I would call the school and not worry about it at all (easier said than done, I know). I guarantee this has happened before and its not a new thing to them. At worst, it will be very obvious when they go to watch the video that something is wrong. Admissions people are just people too. They know things happen and most that I have talked with seem to want people to do the best they can.

Northwestern wouldn’t even provide me the email of a student in one of their organizations and said to just “look at the website.” The website just says the name of the organization with little to no descriptor and no link to the organizations’ main page or anything. I really doubt they’ll be too friendly. I emailed the Kira helpdesk so maybe they’ll be able to fix it. Blah. I’m glad this isn’t my top choice otherwise i’d be really panicked but I am a lil frustrated. I took the day off work bc this is the only time/day I will have the house to myself.

9377 karma

@oshun1 said:
    I am so bummed I spent all day preparing for the interview and did my hair and everything and the first question the sound went out and then my internet stopped working and now my internet is fine but the interview isn’t giving me the option to start the questions. I wonder if I’m locked out of the interview since I opened it up once. Would it look really bad to call the school about this ughh

Ugh that really sucks! I hope they let you redo it.

edited November 2018 3652 karma

Holy shit I did it!! The questions weren’t too tough.

I hope I didn’t seem over confident. I really prepared for this and tried to give really up-beat answers and tried to speak really slowly and coherently.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

Great job. Sending positive vibes out for you!

• lanvycillcalanvycillca Alum Member
    10 karma

@LSATcantwin said:
    Hahahaha what? I had nothing that outlandish with my interview. It was actually all fairly standard.

But here’s another pitch, I love it here at NU! Such a great group of classmates and such a good atmosphere!

Hi there! I am about to do my NU online interview. I am wondering how unnatural hair colors will be perceived at NU? I have pink hair currently, and I don't know if it is frowned upon or not. Based on your experience at NU and laws school applications, do you think I should keep the pink hair or not? Thanks!

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

@lanvycillca said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Hi there! I am about to do my NU online interview. I am wondering how unnatural hair colors will be perceived at NU? I have pink hair currently, and I don't know if it is frowned upon or not. Based on your experience at NU and laws school applications, do you think I should keep the pink hair or not? Thanks!

Sorry for the late response, BE YOU. Don’t let law school sway and change that. The only time I think that stuff may matter is when it comes to job search, but the school doesn’t care!

1694 karma

@LSATcantwin said:

@lanvycillca said:

@LSATcantwin said:

Sorry for the late response, BE YOU. Don’t let law school sway and change that. The only time I think that stuff may matter is when it comes to job search, but the school doesn’t care!

Put in a good word for us 7sagers. <3 wink