Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New US News Rankings

Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member

Spivey got the new US News Rankings! Officially out next week, but here's the scoop:

https://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/2020-usnwr-rankings-2019-release/

Comments

• KeepCalmKeepCalm Alum Member
    807 karma

NICE! Thank you @"Leah M B" !

• PrincessPrincess Alum Member
    821 karma

Wow! I don't know why, but I always thought Virginia was lower than that and Michigan was higher. A bit surprised now that I actually sat down and looked at the list. Which school would have better chances at Big Law and clerkships?

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

@Princess I think umich and uva's outcomes are similar enough that it becomes a matter or personal preference. UVA does better in the south and UMich places better in Midwest.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@eRetaker said:
    @Princess I think umich and uva's outcomes are similar enough that it becomes a matter or personal preference. UVA does better in the south and UMich places better in Midwest.

UVA's top three placement locations are New York, DC, and then California.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

@10000019 said:

@eRetaker said:

That's pretty interesting. I am definitely quite surprised that Virginia itself isn't the top placement. Do you think it's self-selection?

• stevencamendolastevencamendola Alum Member
    150 karma

What happened twice at PennState?

• PutABirdOnItPutABirdOnIt Member
    edited March 2019 115 karma

Nice. ATL has (+/-)s for those that have moved spots: https://abovethelaw.com/2019/03/leaked-2020-u-s-news-law-school-rankings/

Am I remembering incorrectly, or did University of Washington used to be in the top 20s years ago? Now it's barely top 50.

Edit: And Lewis and Clark got bumped out of top 100. Eesh, not great for NW schools.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@stevencamendola Since these are unofficial at the moment, there seems to be some confusion on a few schools, including Penn State and Rutgers. Spivey is clarifying things as information is available though, and the official rankings will be released on the 12th, which may clear up some issues.

@PutABirdOnIt Yeah, UW was 32 last year. Drop to 44 is painful. I think it may have been upper 20s sometime in just the last few years. Not sure what's up, but to be honest their employment numbers have never been all that impressive to me. Still the best school in the NW for sure, but definitely a bummer this year.

• stevencamendolastevencamendola Alum Member
    150 karma

UW dinged me really quickly. I wasn't sure why when I've got in a couple of higher ranked schools. Oh well.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@eRetaker said:

@10000019 said:

@eRetaker said:

That's pretty interesting. I am definitely quite surprised that Virginia itself isn't the top placement. Do you think it's self-selection?

I think it boils down to two things.
    (1) Virginia isn't a major market.
    (2) UVA grads would rather work in other states.

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

@stevencamendola said:
    UW dinged me really quickly. I wasn't sure why when I've got in a couple of higher ranked schools. Oh well.

Perhaps they thought you would't commit to attending their school even if you were admitted?

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

Aw man, they took it down. Bummer.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

@Regis_Phalange63 said:

@stevencamendola said:

Perhaps they thought you would't commit to attending their school even if you were admitted?

I would think that's the case.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@tekken1225 said:
    Aw man, they took it down. Bummer.

Its still here:

https://abovethelaw.com/2019/03/leaked-2020-u-s-news-law-school-rankings/