Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you guys think about powerscore bibles?

louis2014louis2014 Alum Member
edited December 2014 in General 190 karma
So I started preparing for LSAT recently (last week), and I have bought the 3 bibles along with previous PTs.

What's your opinion about the bibles?

Is it true that the bibles are a waste of time? That's what I concluded from several people who studied the bibles then found out about 7sage. I consider myself lucky to find 7sage at an early stage.

I am really confused at this stage. My current thoughts are to study with the bible for the first couple of months then jump to 7sage buying the starter package(3 months) but, of course, there are worries along with that including getting confused with different approaches, burning some tests, wasting time with powerscore.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Last thing, I am planning to write it in June 2015.

Comments

• jenifferkjenifferk Member
    94 karma
    Having done the bibles before doing 7sage, I wish I had started with 7sage.. the bible is good particularly with the logic games, which may give you a good edge through 7sage's review of logic games (which I personally have not gotten to yet). I bought the ultimate package, and am VERY happy with JY's breakdown and LSAT "curriculum"
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    Full disclosure: I'm biased. Though I'm not actively involved in 7Sage's business operations, I'm good friends with JY, featured in some instruction in the course, and had at least a small part to play in the course's development.

That being said, from my viewpoint a tutor familiar with a wide swath of methodologies, I think the RC bible is a pure waste of time and the LR bible is poorly organized and lacking in clarity. The LG bible is competent, but (in my opinion) a relic of a bygone era. None of them will actively lead you astray, but that's a pretty low standard. I would rather pay $249 out of my own pocket than tutor a student using PowerScore's materials.

If you insist on getting a physical book to supplement 7Sage, return the Bibles and grab Mike Kim's LSAT Trainer instead.
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    100% Agree with Jonathan Wang. I also read the bibles at first and found that 7 Sage's teaching methods were far superior. J.Y really gets to the root of the LSAT and the structure of the questions and how you dissect them. Not to mention, he's hilarious and keeps you focused on the material. I went from a diagnostic score of 133 when I took my first PT, to a 161 after my most recent pt, and I could not have done that without 7 Sages help. I'm still looking to improve and having the convenience of going back to the lessons is a bonus.
  • LeBisondeMistLeBisondeMist Alum Member
    135 karma
    I used the LR bible and LG bible before using 7sage, but I can't speak to the RC bible. I finished LR feeling like I gained absolutely nothing. I 100% would not recommend it. Not only is it poorly organized and unclear, as Jonathan said, it also missed some big points. I felt like it didn't go in-depth enough. It's suitable for someone looking to hit 165ish (that's being generous), but for anyone wanting a score above 165 it's not worthwhile. The LG bible was better, but I think that explanations could have been clearer and more in-depth. I've used a few other LG resources (Testmasters, the Trainer) and still feel that 7sage is superior for LG.

TL;DR: Don't get the bibles.
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    When I first started out studying, I got the LR and LG Bibles because they had high reviews on Amazon. A few weeks in, I still did not like how material was being taught and I abandoned ship. I picked up Manhattan LR and Blueprint LG and thought those two were much better than the Bibles.
  • JengibreJengibre Member
    383 karma
    I too started with the PowerScore Bibles because they came highly recommended from friends at top law schools. I did not like the strategy for LR, but I did find the LG Bible quite helpful...until I found 7sage. JY's method for LG is much easier and faster than the PowerScore method ("Not Laws" are largely a waste of time!! also some of their symbols are unnecessarily confusing). I also read the LSAT Trainer and did all the exercises in it. What I found most helpful there was Kim's way of understanding the coherence and structure of the LSAT as valuable test (rather than a practically useless but necessary evil to overcome in order to apply to respectable law schools). After finding 7sage I withdrew from the December test and am feeling more confident as I progress through the curriculum here.
  • miriruchertmiriruchert Alum Member
    180 karma
    i would purchase the deluxe package here w 7sage and no less. you will only maximize your performance by taking as many PT's as possible after taking, id suggest, the full course they have to offer here. I still cannot believe sometimes how great the explanatory videos are. Before I watched JY and Jonathan explain things I would not have thought such explanations are possible. And they are so funny as well. I will miss 7sage when I move on. greatly. so, since you need more PT's than the 3month package offers I would purchase the biggest package. You will not regret it. I had some booklets already but purchased the PT's again so I could have the explanations...i wish i could watch them forever for a laugh and hope in mankind ;-) Miriam
  • joegotbored-1joegotbored-1 Alum Member
    802 karma
    @Louis. I've never used PowerScore so I can provide a different perspective. I came to 7Sage after doing a lot of research and I'm glad I did. You have plenty of time to study for June if you start now and if you buy the basic package here, you get the full course. The difference between the basic and the other courses is essentially volume. Fewer drills, fewer PTs, but the core, the meat of the course is all there. If you decide you like it, you can upgrade. If you hate it, you'll still have learned plenty and have access to PT materials which you'll need no matter how you study.

I think you would do well to heed the advice you see here - it's the same advice you'll see on TLS if you go there - 7Sage is the way to go. Even if the books and 7Sage covered the material to the same degree (which isn't the case) JY is still way more amusing than a book. Think about that....6 months of a book, or, 6 months of JY telling you how to dominate.

Come to the dark side.... (you'll get the reference about 20 minutes into the 7Sage lesson plan!)
  • KristinaKristina Alum Member
    68 karma
    Skip the bibles- straight to sage.
  • turnercmturnercm Alum Member 🍌
    770 karma
    I read both the LG and LR PowerScore bibles, took the exam, didn't do as well as I wanted, bought 7sage Ultimate... then I had to unlearn a lot of things I had learned from PowerScore bibles. 7sage is clear and foundational; PowerScore is unnecessarily complicated. Even in practicing with 7sage, every now and again, if under stress, I would revert back to the PS methods out of habit. Do not do this. Skip PowerScore, start with 7sage and if you need more explanation, check out the LSAT Trainer (i heard its good) or similar.

I would go so far as to say PowerScore hurt more in the long run; unlearning something is worse than starting from nothing. Those bad habits take much longer to correct than starting from scratch.
  • alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    812 karma
    I started with the powerscore bibles. Personally, I think they are a GREAT resource to start with (especially the LR and games bibles). I've been through both thoroughly and several times. For LR it gave me the fundamentals, a very, very solid foundation to build upon. I think you absolutely must read the manhattan books, the lsat trainer, and do the 7 sage curriculum as well. I don't think my gains from going through manhattan/trainer/7sage would have been as fruitful if I hadn't gotten a very solid foundation from the Powerscore bibles.
  • louis2014louis2014 Alum Member
    190 karma
    Thank you very much to all of you :) Decision is easy now :)
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    I don't know if I have much to add. But when I first started my prep, I bought the full set of the PowerScore Bibles and the Trainer. I forget which one it was but there was one LG in my PowerScore Bible that made zero sense. JY's video explanation provided clarity. Unfortunately, I found 7Sage too late and performed badly on my first LSAT in September 2014. I kind of like over complicated and I think PowerScore is over complicated. I registered for the free trial on 7Sage and decided to register for 7Sage starter course. JY seems to breakdown information to an easily understood level and provides humor when PowerScore does not. I'm a very visual learner as well and 7Sage does that better. I'm hoping for the best for my LSAT retake in either June or October. Overall, I think PowerScore can be great but it didn't work for me. Best of Luck to everyone.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    I went through the Bibles and I felt like they were a complete waste! I'm glad I found 7Sage. Do not go through the bibles, they will confuse you once you start using 7Sage. They teach you other words in the 4 groups and when I started using 7Sage I kept thinking "except" was in one of the groups.
  • devin.balutdevin.balut Free Trial Member
    77 karma
    My initial attempt at studying was just to try the June 2007 LSAT, redo it, and then scrounge the internet for random 'LSAT-like' questions. I do not recommend this. I can say that the Powerscore LG Bible helped me improve what was obviously my weakest section, mostly by giving me ways of diagramming problems I didn't really know how to start with or had inferior/less efficient ways of presenting.

It's a fairly quick read and I found it improved my scores. That said I'm not enrolled in any 7Sage program, so I'm not sure if they are less effective or even counter-productive (as some people are suggesting here) when being used with a wide variety of prep materials.
  • fiji12345678fiji12345678 Member
    108 karma
    The more I study for the LSAT, the more I realize I wish I had not wasted a whole year (and lots of money) studying the bibles. The LR bible's formal logic is just downright confusing. The LG bible covers good basics, but you can get similar information for free on-line. The RC bible just a waste of money, and you burn through so many precious RC passages. Bad bad bad!

I was hesitant to purchase the Ultimate package at first, but I have gotten so much more value out of it that I almost feel bad that I did not pay more money for it.

I envy you in a way because you have not been "tainted" by the bibles and are able to start fresh with 7 sage. Go with JY and 7sage.
  • tsams17tsams17 Free Trial Member
    11 karma
    See, I wold have to disagree just a little. While I like 7Sage and what I've seen so far, I as well as many of my (high scoring) classmates have had a good experience with PowerScore as well.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    I covered my basis like a lot of people and think that I've picked up valuable pieces from each I did the trainer, 7sage and thLG and LR Bible. I did the Manhattan RC book and right now listening to their LG book as well.'I've noticed that even though one source may have mentioned something identical it doesn't click until I've heard it from another source.