Admissions Webinar + Editing Giveaway! Weds, April 10 @ 9 p.m. ET

David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
edited April 2019 in Webinars 7272 karma

Hi everyone,

On Wednesday, April 10 at 9 p.m. ET, I’ll host a webinar with our newest consultant Elizabeth Cavallari, a former admissions officer at William & Mary Law School, and our own Selene Steelman, a former director of admissions at Cardozo Law.

I’ll ask them about life on the other side of the admissions desk, including questions like this:

• How do you review files? How do you come to a decision?
  • How do you make decisions about splitters or reverse splitters?
  • Are nontraditional applicants at an advantage or disadvantage?
  • Are international applicants at an advantage or disadvantage?
  • Do ED applicants get a boost?
  • How much should students read into status checkers?
  • Tell me more about the waitlist. How and when do you review files?
  • Is there a right and a wrong time to send a LOCI?
  • What do admissions officers do when they’re not reading files?
  • What’s the best and the worst part of the job?
  • Any big-picture dos and don’ts for applicants?

You’ll get a chance to ask your questions at the end.

:warning: You’ll have to register for this webinar in advance.

:cookie: After the webinar, we’ll award one attendee a free Edit Once (see https://7sage.com/admissions/enroll).

→ Please register for the webinar here: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/8181831f40e47792cde7dc3c8da9331e

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

Zoom might prompt you to download something before you can join the webinar, so I’d advise you to show up a bit early.

I hope to see you there!

Comments

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

I look forward to speaking with you all on Wednesday night!

• Elizabeth - Admissions ConsultantElizabeth - Admissions Consultant Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    8 karma

Excited to talk to you all!

• Jonah Chadwick GriegoJonah Chadwick Griego Alum Member
    652 karma

@"elizabeth.cavallari" Welcome! Looking forward to speaking this Wednesday!

• tjbambtjbamb Member
    2 karma

Thank you! Looking forward to it! Thanks for giving your time. I’m new to the process and am grateful for all of the extra help.

• ConquerLSATboiConquerLSATboi Alum Member
    81 karma

@"David.Busis" said:
    Hi everyone,

On Wednesday, April 10 at 9 p.m. ET, I’ll host a webinar with our newest consultant Elizabeth Cavallari, a former admissions officer at William & Mary Law School, and our own Selene Steelman, a former director of admissions at Cardozo Law.

I’ll ask them about life on the other side of the admissions desk, including questions like this:

• How do you review files? How do you come to a decision?
    • How do you make decisions about splitters or reverse splitters?
    • Are nontraditional applicants at an advantage or disadvantage?
    • Are international applicants at an advantage or disadvantage?
    • Do ED applicants get a boost?
    • How much should students read into status checkers?
    • Tell me more about the waitlist. How and when do you review files?
    • Is there a right and a wrong time to send a LOCI?
    • What do admissions officers do when they’re not reading files?
    • What’s the best and the worst part of the job?
    • Any big-picture dos and don’ts for applicants?

You’ll get a chance to ask your questions at the end.

:warning: You’ll have to register for this webinar in advance.

:cookie: After the webinar, we’ll award one attendee a free Edit Once (see https://7sage.com/admissions/enroll).

→ Please register for the webinar here: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/8181831f40e47792cde7dc3c8da9331e

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

Zoom might prompt you to download something before you can join the webinar, so I’d advise you to show up a bit early.

I hope to see you there!

Is the financial aid Application Package submission over? I was getting ready to submit it tonight...

• zakirhussain13595zakirhussain13595 Alum Member
    16 karma

Hi everyone, I appreciated people going into their backgrounds and talking about stories that might be uncomfortable to mention. Really opened my eyes that events like that can be made into great personal statements.

• jemima.08jemima.08 Member
    38 karma

Thanks for a great webinar last night! The one lesson I would recommend is the Law School Application checklist. It's great synthesis of what I need to put together and appropriate links for more information.

• nycgal90nycgal90 Alum Member
    149 karma

Hello everyone! I really enjoyed last night's webinar. I was particularly interested in their take on "splitters" and non-traditional applicants, which is what I consider myself to be. I had a not-so-great college GPA but worked successfully in a industry for several years but am now looking for career change. I'm aiming for a 160+ LSAT score. I also found it extremely interesting to hear their take on the impact of personal statements!

I would recommend the "Personal Statement- Outlining and Drafting" lessons, and in particular "Essay Templates". It makes it easy to narrow down what you want to focus on in your essay.

• PrideViktorious170PrideViktorious170 Alum Member
    edited April 2019 22 karma

Hi everyone,
    I enjoyed the webinar last night! Though, I did not get a chance to speak with Elizabeth one on one. I think her wisdom on looking at your application throughly as a “reapplicant,” would be the best recommendation for prospective students in the admissions process. Looking at your characteristics, and how they contribute to the your choice law school. Remember, personal statements play a major role as well as your LSAT score! It’s the total package! They are seeking the whole person for the upcoming cohort.

• 2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
    edited April 2019 1810 karma

I'm so glad I tuned in for the webinar on Wednesday because it shed some light on the mystery behind what the admissions are people thinking about when they review applications. I wish I had the chance to ask for an example of a type of application they would hold on to ~ if anyone's willing to describe one that might not have quite reached the numbers but struck them as special, I'd be so grateful.

The lesson that sparks my interest at first glance on the admissions course is this one about applying to reach, target and safety schools. https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/how-many-law-schools/

I've been operating with the dream of just being accepted to one school, but I'm starting to realize how ridiculous that is ... This predictor is helpful too https://7sage.com/predictor/ -- but it does give me hope that it's not just machines determining who's in and who's out ~ it's fellow human beings.

• Alice003Alice003 Live Member
    691 karma

Thank you so much for organizing this webinar, David! It let me know how important the personal statement is. I did not have a chance to ask question from Elizabeth regarding to if my work experience at my resume is very important for the application. Hope next time I have a chance to ask this question.

I would recommend the "Personal Statement" lessons. Just like Selene said Personal Statement was VERY important as that they made decision based on Personal Statement and Resume, except for LSAT and GPA. As I am half of international student and half of American student here, I love attending Personal Statement Lessons!

• Waffle23Waffle23 Alum Member
    603 karma

Hello all! Thank you again for hosting the webinar last night.
    I personally found the "personal statement questionnaire" to be one of the most useful lessons and a great place to start, if you are in the brainstorming process.

When I first sat down to write my personal statement, I had trouble figuring out what story I wanted to tell them about myself. I felt that "my story" or some close variation of it has probably been told thousands of times before and that my life experiences would be considered "just average."

The question prompts from the questionnaire got me thinking about things I hadn't considered before and looking at those personal experiences from a different angle. Delving into the questionnaire helps you draw out some of the personal characteristics/ qualities that would make you unique and (hopefully) memorable.

I like that I now have more material that I can work with. I can try to thread all these little bits and pieces together to create a more cohesive story about who I am as a person, and what it is about me that would make the reader want to meet me/admit me into their law school class.

There's so much I can share about myself! Now, it's just a matter of cutting it down to meet the page/word limitations!

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7272 karma
    7272 karma

Congrats to @TwoJanez , the winner of our Edit Once giveaway! @TwoJanez recommended What is an LSAT median, and why does it matter?.

• nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma

At 45 years of age I decided to take on the challenge of studying for and sitting for the LSAT. Kaplan, Cambridge etc. books introduced me to the world of "logic". Night after night I left my family for 2 or 3 hrs to hide away at my local Panera Bread (unlimited coffee refills) to figure this all out. After a couple months, dazed and confused, I entered a giant ballroom in the UIC student center to punch my ticket to go to law school. With no real strategy or fundamental understanding, I tested and tried my best. I failed miserably. I became discouraged. Then by a keystroke of luck I found 7Sage online and my life changed forever. JY's videos made perfect sense to me. I bought the basic package and watched and practiced. I joined the BR sessions and contributed to the 7Sage discussions. Before long I became more and more adept at solving the LSAT riddles. Ultimately, I was given the honor of being called a "mentor". That bit of confidence combined with hours of further practice led me to a second "successful" LSAT try. I was very encouraged to hear in the webinar that schools do in fact seek to diversify by paying special attention to those of us who are not coming straight out of college. I have a lot to offer in real life terms. I must admit though its hard to find old professors and ask for LORs. Coming from the construction industry most of my former bosses wouldn't know the first thing about writing an impressive letter. I'm very glad 7Sage has incorporated an after-the-LSAT program to help us complete the journey. THX NYE8870

• RebeccaSJRebeccaSJ Member
    28 karma

Are these webinars saved and shared on 7Sage?

7272 karma

@RebeccaSJ We don't post all of them, but we did post this one.

You can find it at the top of our full webinar archive: https://7sage.com/admissions/webinar/

7272 karma

Starting soon!

• RebeccaSJRebeccaSJ Member
    28 karma

Thank you, @"David.Busis"