Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What did you score on your first PT vs the LSAT?

Luffys HatLuffys Hat Alum Member
in General 73 karma

I'm talking about the first PT right after finishing the CC.

Also, what was your average score on PTs and what did you finally get on the LSAT?
How long did it take for you to achieve your desired average score after finishing the CC?

Comments

• Gee-dawgGee-dawg Member
    319 karma

This is a good question. I haven’t taken the LSAT yet, but my first PT score wasn’t great. It’d be interesting to know how much you can actually improve though. I’ve read that it’s only 5 or so points but I am hoping this isn’t always the case.

• sethcook3sethcook3 Member
    36 karma

My very first prep test I scored a 153, and then after about 4 months of self study with power score books I took the official LSAT last June and scored a 164. I then took off from June until the next may. I've been studying since late May and I'm PT'ing around 167/169 hoping to get to the low 170's by September. Whoever said you can only improve by 5 or so points probably didn't use 7sage lol

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    edited August 2019 703 karma

After the CC I scored a 152. Two months later after taking a Blueprint course, I scored a 157 official on a March LSAT. I then continued studying and was in the low 160s by the end of may and the mid 160's by the end of June. I get my July score back this week, but I improved by at least ten points for sure after about 8ish months. I saw the biggest paradigm leap at the end of April (after about 5 months of studying) when I jumped from the mid 150s solidly into the 160s. There is no guaranteed amount of time it could take. Easier said than done, but try not to get too caught up on scores because the score is the last indicator that moves. All the work that leads up to getting a high score can be improving while the score stays stagnant. I hope that helps.

UPDATE: Turned that 152 into a 165 on the July Official. Progress can happen.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

My first prep test I scored 157, on my first real test I got a 169 and on my second I got a 172

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Be optimistic and persistent, devote lots of effort, don't give up, and look to mentors for advice, and good results will likely occur.

• Gee-dawgGee-dawg Member
    319 karma

@sethcook3 said:
    My very first prep test I scored a 153, and then after about 4 months of self study with power score books I took the official LSAT last June and scored a 164. I then took off from June until the next may. I've been studying since late May and I'm PT'ing around 167/169 hoping to get to the low 170's by September. Whoever said you can only improve by 5 or so points probably didn't use 7sage lol

This gives me hope, thanks for this.

• PutABirdOnItPutABirdOnIt Member
    edited August 2019 115 karma

My first take will be in September but- diagnostic of 148 in March, now PTing at 160. Varying weekly study schedules, probably at 200-250 total hours of study thus far. Aiming for 160+ on test day, would be super happy with 165+.

Thinking back on diagnostic and early tests, LG scared me so much because it was like a foreign language, now I love LG.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited August 2019 2689 karma

My very, very first attempt at a PT was a 151, pre 7sage.
    Immediately after the CC, it was 153 and I wanted to rage quit. But I kept going and my PT's improved with practice. The CC gives you tools, but practice is what improved the score. I took my first test way too soon and got a 154. Registered for the second before I was ready (register after you are ready, folks) and got bogged down with school and life. I knew I should have cancelled. I got a migraine in the second half, but I figured "Hey, I paid for this. Might as well see what happens. LSAC says unlimited tries from now on..." (Insert Maury Povich 'that was a lie' line). I
    was so stupid. You can't hope yourself a good score. 2nd attempt ended with 153.
    So, I regrouped. Focused primarily on school, finished strong, then went back to hard LSAT study on a slower, more in-depth pace. Finished July with a 163, and I am done. Part of me wants to try for a 165, but a 163 should work for my goal schools.

TL;DR: From very first crack at a PT to end result, 12 point gain. Post CC to end result, 9 point gain.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Diagnostic was a 154. First PT after CC was 161. Ended up at 173. 19 points!!! (7sage rocks)

• Luffys HatLuffys Hat Alum Member
    73 karma

@drbrown2 said:
    Diagnostic was a 154. First PT after CC was 161. Ended up at 173. 19 points!!! (7sage rocks)

How long did it take you to reach 173 after your 161?

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

@"Luffys Hat" said:

@drbrown2 said:

How long did it take you to reach 173 after your 161?

About 14 months with a few breaks in between

• lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
    edited August 2019 938 karma

Cold Diag at 138, Haven't even started memory method (RC part in CC) at all, and I'm floating around 159.

Games: I can go -4 to -0, -2 average I'd say.
    LR: Average about -7 on timed conditions, BR is like -3 (gone perfect maybe twice)
    RC: Volatile. worst like -18 best like -9. again, I haven't started learning RC yet.

Although I've been fumbling around with the LSAT for 2 years, it surely wasn't constant LSAT studying for 2 years straight. I would say that my 138 to 159 jump took about 200-250 hours.

14 weeks out until Nov exam. Really dont know how far I can get. If I can somehow improve my RC score and close the gap between my timed vs. BR, I am confident I can be in the high 160's. My goal is 170, but I know its a stretch :smile:

As I continue my studying I realize more everyday that this test is learnable I started off getting only 3 right on games, and maybe 18 total right on LR questions.

Hope this helps anyone starting out in the 130's like myself.

• PrivateName44PrivateName44 Free Trial Member
    9 karma

Cold diagnostic at 153 in February. June LSAT I hit 167 after 7Sage, private tutoring and self studying. July I was a 168, but my I hit one PT at 170 and an untimed PT at 176, so now debating retaking in October... but tbd. Lots of work for two points, but those are two big ass points.

• Ozzy SheikhOzzy Sheikh Member
    115 karma

cold diagnostic in November 2018: 139 (although I was having personal issues at the time). Did some private tutoring with Kaplan on games (ordering and grouping) and did another "diagnostic" at 149 in March 2019 (answering about 2/3rd the test and guessing on the rest due to time constraints). Took a break and started using the LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim in June on and off and just started 7sage's CC this week. First PT results after CC TBD.

• DanielMacTavishDanielMacTavish Alum Member
    161 karma

@"Gee-dawg" said:
    This is a good question. I haven’t taken the LSAT yet, but my first PT score wasn’t great. It’d be interesting to know how much you can actually improve though. I’ve read that it’s only 5 or so points but I am hoping this isn’t always the case.

I hope you don't take those words as gospel as they are very far from the truth. My initial diagnostic (granted with very little exposure to study materials) was a 143. I considered not even pursuing my law school endeavors at first and getting a refund for my PowerScore class with that score. But, my highest score now is a 159 and I'm not even close to being done studying. I started studying hard in early May, so only 3 months time. Even if you aren't fully convinced of it yourself, drill into your head that persistence and hard work will get you the score you want.

• lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
    edited August 2019 938 karma

@"Gee-dawg" said:

Anyone who believes a person can only improve on the LSAT about 5-10 points has not met the great JY Ping/7Sage.

The most important thing to understand for making amazing leaps on the LSAT is that the test takes time to learn. If you find yourself not learning the material fast enough, you just gotta spend more quality time studying.

I've personally made a 22 point increase from 138-160 and i'm still going. And this is to due to the amazing coaching by JY and the fantastic 7sage community. I see you're a premium member, hang in there and you can definitely gain much more than 5 points.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

@lsatgodjk hit on a great point.
    Time.
    People come on here and see all these "I'm DONE" posts and some months pass for them and they're like "wtf is wrong with me." They don't realize that many of those successes come after a year and a half, 2 years, 3 years even sometimes. You may be seeing people at the end of their journey, but you missed the long struggle. This takes a ton of time for most of us. Keep going. As someone who is finally on the other side of it and in my first admissions cycle, keep going. It took me nearly 2 years to get here.
    Time and effort. Very underrated element to all of this.