Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reacting to an abnormal test score

ssmith9664ssmith9664 Alum Member

Hey all, so I saw my score very early this morning expecting to be somewhere near the median of where I was PTing (which was around the 153-157 range), and I ended up getting a 149. Obviously, this isn't seriously lower as I make it out to be, but it's confusing to me and i'm more shocked than angry or upset. I felt very confident during this test, and I had a ridiculous amount of energy even up to the end, so I can't blame test fatigue or zoning out. I ended up having a terribly bad RC and LR #2, both dipping in double digit incorrect, which is not even remotely close to where I falter on PTs.

So I know the obvious answer is just move on, and I want to move on, but I also want to improve as much as I can in the short time I have until the October LSAT. I've seen a ton of improvement in LR, LG, and i've peaked at around -6/-7 for RC. I don't feel like I would see major gains in RC so I don't feel like it's worth re-investing into it this late, and I genuinely don't think i'm that bad at it, so i'm just super confused if I should take this test's result into consideration for where I need to patch my wounds. My current study plan has tons of LG foolproofing because I think I can definitely get a really great score on LG realistically. I think I have stagnated for a long time on LR and RC with zero to minimal gains for a few weeks, but I can't neglect 75% of the test obviously.

So yeah, any advice is heavily appreciated. I know i'm likely overthinking everything but I'd hate to have another nightmare scenario happen and be forced to either apply with a low score or apply late (or just delay everything)

Comments

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

If you are INTENT on taking October, then LG and LR is where you need to go ham. You are right, I think at the MOST you might see a consistent 1 point gain, if at all. Just literally spam LG and do some LR here and there. LG is where you can improve the most.

• nycgal90nycgal90 Alum Member
    149 karma

I had the exact same thing happen to me on the July LSAT of this year. I was PT'ing in the 151-153 range and I ended up getting a 143. Not only was it almost 10 points below my average, but it was actually WORSE than when I took the LSAT in Nov of 2018 before I started studying using 7Sage. Needless to say I was extremely confused, because like you, I felt energized, alert, and not terribly anxious. I felt deflated when I saw my score and wanted to give up. But I kept going. Less than two months later I took the Sept LSAT and just found out I got a 157. I was shocked because I had one hour of sleep max, was anxiety-ridden, and had the notorious LG section that completely screwed my morale up for the rest of the exam.

I guess my point is not to take your score as a reflection of your ability. If you are PT'ing in 153-157 range, then it is in your ability to get that score for the October LSAT, even if it is only a couple weeks away. There are many factors that can affect our test scores without us even being consciously aware of them. Do practice tests like usual, but also focus on improving your mindset and not forgetting to take care of yourself. That is what I did between the July and September tests. Also don't overload yourself with PT's, I find my score improves the most when I give myself a mental break. Don't picture yourself getting a bad score in October. Picture the ideal end result, stay positive and good things will happen! Good luck!

• ssmith9664ssmith9664 Alum Member
    35 karma

@nycgal90 said:
    I had the exact same thing happen to me on the July LSAT of this year. I was PT'ing in the 151-153 range and I ended up getting a 143. Not only was it almost 10 points below my average, but it was actually WORSE than when I took the LSAT in Nov of 2018 before I started studying using 7Sage. Needless to say I was extremely confused, because like you, I felt energized, alert, and not terribly anxious. I felt deflated when I saw my score and wanted to give up. But I kept going. Less than two months later I took the Sept LSAT and just found out I got a 157. I was shocked because I had one hour of sleep max, was anxiety-ridden, and had the notorious LG section that completely screwed my morale up for the rest of the exam.

I guess my point is not to take your score as a reflection of your ability. If you are PT'ing in 153-157 range, then it is in your ability to get that score for the October LSAT, even if it is only a couple weeks away. There are many factors that can affect our test scores without us even being consciously aware of them. Do practice tests like usual, but also focus on improving your mindset and not forgetting to take care of yourself. That is what I did between the July and September tests. Also don't overload yourself with PT's, I find my score improves the most when I give myself a mental break. Don't picture yourself getting a bad score in October. Picture the ideal end result, stay positive and good things will happen! Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! It's nice to hear other people who have similar experiences, it's more disturbing psychologically seeing that low of a score honestly, I am not put down by it at all. I'm definitely taking a break from the PTs because drilling lately has gone so much better for LG and LR, and honestly I think both tests show my lack of experience with the material (not that I didn't study a lot, but I just indulged so much in BR that I neglected the drilling aspect)

• RealLaw612RealLaw612 Member
    edited October 2019 1094 karma

I was PTing in the low 170s and got a 164 in Sep. The LG section dropped me a full 8 wrong answers more than usual. Aside from that section I did very well on the other three. That particular test was as hard as I've seen in my time studying LSAT. You're not the only one: I think that LG section destroyed a lot of dreams. On to the next!

• 118 karma

I also had a similar experience. I was PTing 164-167, and it was a shock to see a 155 yesterday. Not only did LG get me, so did RC which I did not see coming. I am going to make sure I get LG to my fullest potential since that's my strength, and try to find consistency with RC. Its tough with the test so close. Good luck with everything!

• RealLaw612RealLaw612 Member
    1094 karma

@laurenh1722 said:
    I also had a similar experience. I was PTing 164-167, and it was a shock to see a 155 yesterday. Not only did LG get me, so did RC which I did not see coming. I am going to make sure I get LG to my fullest potential since that's my strength, and try to find consistency with RC. Its tough with the test so close. Good luck with everything!

I am surprised to see a lot of comments about the RC section. I did my PT average on RC at -3.

35 karma

@"lawschool2020-2" said:

Which tests do you practice with? I hear a lot of people say the newer tests are more difficult but I can't tell how you really measure that or if it's true

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

If you can go to the office hours conference with Sami, she's walked with students through so many things and so has Josh. I think they're both taking the time for office hours soon. They're very devoted to helping students and have worked on these types of things before with other students.

• edited October 2019 118 karma

@ssmith9664 said:

@"lawschool2020-2" said:

Which tests do you practice with? I hear a lot of people say the newer tests are more difficult but I can't tell how you really measure that or if it's true

I practiced with everything from 30-87. I did find that the older tests were different. LR was easier, but LG was a little bit harder for me because I didn't start using older tests until I ran out of newer ones. The older games felt a little different. I was told 60+ is the best to practice because that is closer to what you will see. I think RC and LR have gotten harder over the years. LG wasn't too terrible until this most recent test where it was unusual.

35 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    If you can go to the office hours conference with Sami, she's walked with students through so many things and so has Josh. I think they're both taking the time for office hours soon. They're very devoted to helping students and have worked on these types of things before with other students.

What's the best way to stay in the loop in regard to these office hours? Do they just get posted to that one thread Sami has open?

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

There's a thread called Sami among the first five links on this forum and they schedule office hours in some weeks.