Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fall admission 2016

ttranc83ttranc83 Alum Member
in General 98 karma
Do all law schools differ as to which LSAT is accepted for fall admission? Is it primarily the December LSAT that is accepted for all fall applicants/applications?
If I do not receive the best score possible or the score I was looking forward to receiving after taking the December LSAT, I was thinking of re-taking it in February of next year hoping to apply for fall of the same year. Is that too presumptuous of me? LOL. Most likely it is.

Comments

• emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited July 2015 3462 karma
    A lot of schools accept the Feb. LSAT for the upcoming fall semester. Since many schools have a March/April deadline.
  • ttranc83ttranc83 Alum Member
    98 karma
    Thank you @emli1000! I appreciate your comment!
    3462 karma
    Anytime!
  • sprflycatsprflycat Alum Member
    15 karma
    I don't think there is a December LSAT. Do you mean October?
    3462 karma
    @sprflycat There is a Feb., June, Sept./Oct., Dec. LSAT given throughout the year
  • sprflycatsprflycat Alum Member
    15 karma
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    edited July 2015 578 karma
    If you feel ready, I'd recommend taking the October LSAT, since many schools do rolling admissions and you want to submit your application as early as possible. Also, by taking the Dec LSAT you miss some early decision deadlines and scholarship opportunities
  • jimenezja.jjjimenezja.jj Alum Member
    187 karma
    hey, @ttranc83 I would advise you to reach out to each school individually. I'm sure they will take the february LSAT but the school may not have sufficient funds to grant you a scholarship. Good Luck!!
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Don't bother applying ED unless it's NU or another school that grants a significant scholarship for ED admits. Binding ED takes away almost all your negotiating leverage and provides only a little boost (if any) in most cases.

There is still plenty of money available to people who take the LSAT in December. You need a higher score, not an earlier application. If you do not have a high GPA/LSAT combo you likely will not even get your application reviewed until January or later anyways. Early admits are for raising/bolstering medians, it's not really rolling admissions like in undergrad or high school.

February, on the other hand, is stretching it and should only be used as a last resort or to pull yourself off of a wait list if you're there already (though you can use June for this as well).

Also, as to your original question, since LSAT scores are good for five years you can literally take one this October for fall 2020 admission. However, February of the application cycle is usually the last that most schools accept for regular admission (June during the end of a cycle only helps with wait lists or negotiations).
  • LSATman1LSATman1 Alum Member
    386 karma
    Some schools even accept the June LSAT for admission for fall of the same year, i.e. if you took the June 2015 LSAT, some will accept that score for Fall 2015 enrollment
  • goalis180goalis180 Alum Member
    531 karma
    Not to hijack this thread, but Law schools only accept applicants for a fall cycle? I am taking my LSAT in december, and I want to attend law school in 2016, but I also want to be able to retake if I don't get a good score. When would I have to apply for the 2016 cycle?
    8021 karma
    You can retake in February for most schools and still be fine. I can't think of any law schools off the top of my head where you can start in January. You should take the LSAT and then fill out your apps and submit them, or if you want to do them beforehand you can do that to take a little break from prep and then they'll be ready to go.

If you can get yourself on a wait list then you could always take the June test to try to get off of the wait list.

As for the post above yours, I can't think of any schools this is true for off the top of my head, but if be interested to see a list. My uneducated guess would say that it is more likely for schools that are unranked and less worth attending overall since these schools need to wait for some applicants to higher ranked schools to trickle down.
    98 karma
    Thank you for your input @mes08! Thanks @jimenezja.jj! Thank you @Pacifico for the info! Thank you @LSATman1! And no worries @goalis180 we are here to learn from one another!
    531 karma
    @Pacifico I have been told several times that applying close to feb to your reach school lowers chances as well as reduces scholarship amounts. Is such propaganda true?
    531 karma
    @ttranc83 thank you, I truly appreciate that.
    8021 karma
    February is definitely late in the cycle, but that is long after the December LSAT and December is not late in the cycle.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    I can't think of any law schools off the top of my head where you can start in January.
    Baylor starts three classes each year and has three application deadlines. They're a rarity but the good news is that you can in theory graduate in just over 2 calendar years (likely sacrificing a lot with the summers, but for some folks, that doesn't matter).
    98 karma
    Thank you @nicole.hopkins !
    edited July 2015 8021 karma
    She forgot to mention it's in Waco...
    98 karma
    Lol @Pacifico . Moving to Waco, TX...not my first choice nor is leaving CA in my plans, but it is a good choice for some.
    8021 karma
    Yeah I hear the old Branch Davidian compound is lovely this time of year :P
  • gs556gs556 Member Inactive Sage
    568 karma
    I am from Dallas and have drove through Waco a few times. There is nothing in Waco.
    8021 karma
    I would agree with you but methinks Baylor would beg to differ hahah
  • Student76Student76 Alum Member
    324 karma
    I applied in Feb but after receiving my score asked that my app not be considered until I retook in June. I did, results in July and was accepted 2 weeks later (and heavily pursued by other schools whose application deadlines had far passed). I think most schools will accept scores from anytime if the score is right.
    98 karma
    Thanks @Student76 !