Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would admissions think of a scenario like this?

amipp_93amipp_93 Alum Member
in General 585 karma
Hi guys! Just a quick question, as I am personally struggling with making the decision of taking Dec exam or postpone till June. As the whole world tells you to "just take it," idk if i "just" wanna take it...

Lets say I score a 160-162 this dec (no where near my goal)
Retake in June, and get in the upper 160s, say 167-169 range.

Would the admissions be dubious about such a jump? Is that something I have to explain or is that a given that I worked my butt off? Idk, there seems to be a lot of talk about not wanting to "scar" your records with a lower score, vs getting a much higher one later...

Any thoughts?

thanks guys :)

Comments

• UsernameChangeUsernameChange Free Trial Member
    349 karma
    Most law schools take your higher score if it is more than a couple of points from the other score and do not average them. I was in a webinar Q&A with a former admission officer from Harvard and she stated that if your score is significantly higher (9 points would meet this criteria by your post) they really won't factor in the lower score at all into their decision. Sure, they'll see it, but the fact that you improved so much could be a sign of a bubbling error on the first take, the flu that day, test center issue, etc. I'm not sure if this was just her experience with retakes or if this is a policy they all use but I wouldn't worry about trying to explain it. Just be proud of your improvement and go with it. Also check out how LSAC explains score bands.
  • amipp_93amipp_93 Alum Member
    585 karma
    @harleywferguson Thank you for your awesome response!!! You're right, just another way of showing how much I had potential in improving, and i actually did improve (fingers crossed).
    Thanks again :)
  • Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma
    I took it last december and didnt' do as well as I could have. I waited a cycle which is huge for me because I'm older. BUT it gave me more time to study, allowed me to take the test in the afternoon - which really helped since I'm not a morning person.

Getting a top score in June allowed me to get my apps ready early for rolling admissions. And if you don't like your june score, you've still got sept/oct and can get your apps in early with that.
  • KevinSageKevinSage Alum Member
    260 karma
    I'm going through this as well... I'm currently signed up for Dec. (already postponed from Oct.), but I'm still nowhere near where I want to be scoring.. I feel burned out and think my best option is just postponing again /:
    585 karma
    @KevinSage You're deff not alone! Same exact scenario. Signed up for Oct, postponed again, don't know if I should just withdraw altogether bc i personally think feb is way too late in the game and you might as well take it in June, nice and beautiful at noon. BUT the question still remains, to take in Dec as a first round or nahhhhhh???
    260 karma
    MAN, that is EXACTLY how I feel right now... It just pisses me off because I've spent $170 for the test, then $90 to postpone. So if I just withdraw, then the money went to waste and it's too late to ask for a partial refund.... However, I think the consensus choice is to save the take.
    585 karma
    Definitely. Money should deff play a minimal role. I mean one of those tried out of the three, when you're running out time could very well turn out to feel like its worth diamonds lol. Good luck to you and your decision and may the odds be in your favor!
    260 karma
    @"Quick Silver" did you feel that your Dec. take prepared you for June? That is, did it help with first-time jitters? I can see how all that extra time will help with sending apps and whatnot (BTW congrats on Berkley!)
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Retakes represent only opportunity. If you're not coming remotely close or have never hit your target score I wouldn't take unless you just want a trial run and know you're only going to have two more exams before you apply, but even then I think it's better to wait (in your case until June and then have September/December as backups.

Below Yale nobody cares about one or two retakes and they'll go for your highest score. A jump of more than 5-7 points just warrants a short LSAT addendum, nothing more.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    I don't think two different scores is a scar. Most schools will likely emphasize the higher score, and the negatives of a lower score will be somewhat neutralized by the evidence you are showing that you are prepared to work hard for growth.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    What you don't want to do is drop an app before retaking because you never get a second chance to make a first impression.
    585 karma
    @LSATisland and @Pacifico Thank you guys! And definitely won't be dropping that app until I get super close to my target score fasho.
  • Campo1995Campo1995 Alum Member
    74 karma
    What I was told from many admissions reps is that it is nearly impossible to just get "lucky" and get a great score, where as it is common to have an off day or stumble under pressure. So if you have 2 scores, say a 160 and a 168, they will not hesitate to think that the 168 is a true representation of your skills. The scenario changes when you have 2 very close scores, say a 161 and a 163, then admissions may factor in your lower score.
  • pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
    477 karma
    @Pacifico a jump in more than 5-7 points should warrant and addendum on the part of LSAT test writers :-)