Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My back hurts!

Darth JuristDarth Jurist Member
in General 453 karma
Okay, I am in need of some advice that might sound strange to some. So, I'm not exactly a small person, in fact I'm six feet eight inches tall so I don't exactly fit into a lot of things very well. Mainly, the desks in a classroom. I find when I do some timed PTs I am slumped way over in my seat, and after about three sections my back starts screaming at me. It got to the point last Friday that I had to stop my test and stand up for a minute to loosen up and stretch. Are there are other 7sagers who have this problem? I am worried because on test day I know I will not be able to pause my exam like a video game. My back really hurts after about two sections and it takes away from my concentration. This is making me feel like an old man at the ripe age of 23. Thoughts?

Comments

• runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    That's terrible! You should probably try to take your PT's somewhere comfortable for you (if there is such a place), so you're not in constant pain for months, and maybe take a painkiller of your choice (experiment beforehand) on test day to keep the pain from being too distracting. Other than that, maybe practice arching slightly backwards/small stretches during sections like RC, where you're not constantly writing (if it doesn't break your concentration too much).
  • Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited February 2016 1650 karma
    5'7 here, so while I don't have your problem, I'd suggest doing some research into test centers in your area. There are a few different resources online that have written reviews from testers.

Also, if you live close to the test centers in your area, you could just go and check them out. Pick the test center with the most comfortable seating arrangement. Aside from this, maybe stretch thoroughly before starting or try to sit up straighter? Preemptive Advil could also help.
  • Darth JuristDarth Jurist Member
    453 karma
    My only problem is that I feel like I waste 1-2 min readjusting my position in the seat. Normally this isn't a problem when I take tests as I usually am not worried about finishing on time. I think I might have to look into a PK and stretch before the test and during the 15 min break. Or see if LSAC would let me take the test lying down! XD

I have been popping Advil like candy and it doesn't really help. I would sit up straight, the only problem is that the paper on my desk becomes so far away from my eyes to read. If I pick it up every time I want to read and then put down to write I waste so much time doing so (think of how much a pain in the ass this would be for logic games).

*Sigh...apparently I need drugs. I can already see the awkward stares I will get on test day from fellow test takers when I start doing a extensive stretching regiment during the break. Thanks for the advice everyone!

#tallpeopleproblems
    2481 karma
    For painkillers, I found that nothing beats Alleve (well, nothing OTC) - however, it's very hard on the stomach, so some people have to take it with a proton pump inhibitor, especially for longer term use. Once a week or so should be fine though.
    Something else that popped into my head - you say you have trouble reading if you sit up straight - might be worth having your eyes checked. You might be mildly nearsighted, enough that it wouldn't bother you under normal circumstances but it would cause you to hunch over a bit to read.
    And I wouldn't worry about what people think during the break. I'm sure there will be stranger stuff going on than some guy stretching his back.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Who cares what the other test takers think...chances are you won't see half, or more, of them ever again.
    Do you stretch every morning and night? You won't see the effects immediately, but over time your back may "loosen up."
    My advice? Go get a massage.
    453 karma
    Maybe the Alleve will work better than Advil. Worth a shot. Going to start foam rolling/stretching every morning I think. I just tried reading a passage of reading comps with perfect posture. I can in fact read it, the text just seems really far away. You have to understand that with me sitting straight up with my head tilted slightly forward facing the top of my desk there is almost two feet in between my eyes and the piece of paper laying flat on my desk. If the font was maybe 2 or 3 points bigger it wouldn't be an issue. I am going to try and sit straight for RC and the first 15 of each LR section. Maybe that will save some of my back. Thanks again all!
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Do you have reading glasses? It might help with the distance. If your pick up a pair of readers from the drug store and see if it makes a difference.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Yoga.

Also, call LSAC and ask for a standing desk accommodation. 99% chance they will laugh at you but hey at least you tried.
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    I second the Alleve recommendation, though I've had to take Nexium periodically as a result of taking it. I've had chronic back pain since high school (I'm 24 now) and was in pain nonstop unless I ingested loads of ibuprofen. With this test, I most definitely need Alleve, and one a day works wonders. I will also note that I may have a genetic predisposition to acid problems, given that my dad has a genetic mutation related to the issue.
  • Chris127Chris127 Alum Member
    81 karma
    I'm not 6'8" but I have lower back problems. When I'm sitting, I always use a lumbar support cushion whether I'm studying, at work, or in the car. I suggest you get one when you're studying (I'm pretty positive they don't allow you to have one when you take the LSAT though).

I also do mobility exercises for my back. One of the best exercises for you lower back is to use a lacrosse ball and smash the muscles in your lower back to loosen up the muscles (Google it for more info). Also look up hip and poas stretches.

While these won't help on test day, your back will start to feel better so it won't hurt as much on test day.

Also, I plan on stretching out my back during the 15min break when I take the LSAT. Doesn't matter if other people stare.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @"Darth Jurist" said:
    My only problem is that I feel like I waste 1-2 min readjusting my position in the seat.
    If it's a serious enough problem, you can delay your take and apply for accommodations. Or just do some good old fashioned posture practice. It's either a medical condition or it's a matter of how you're sitting.

4344 karma
    @stepharizona said:
    If your pick up a pair of readers from the drug store and see if it makes a difference.
    Definitely see a doctor for any/all vision correction attempts. OP is likely not farsighted as he is 23.
    4344 karma
    @MrSamIam said:
    My advice? Go get a massage.
    Second this!!!
    453 karma
    Update: I have ordered a lumbar support for my computer chair and am making a conscious effort to sit up straight. The other I took a picture of myself in my natural seated position and found that I am basically in the fetal position. Thanks for the diagram @"Nicole Hopkins" ! I started sitting like the illustration and it is helping out a lot.

7sagers, you are my heroes!
  • allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    I second the yoga recommendation. If you can get to a vinyasa class 1-3x/wk, it could really help your back. I felt awesome when I was consistently doing yoga and taking 3 PTs/wk.
  • Keane XavierKeane Xavier Alum Member
    171 karma
    After sleeping on an air mattress for nearly two months (long story), I also struggled with back pain, and from your post, I can tell that our struggles were similar (although I am nowhere near 6' 8"). It was intolerable; I couldn't sit still. It was affecting my concentration and my study habits. I received a life-changing recommendation that I'll pass along to you: see a chiropractor (if you aren't already).

I know that this profession carries with it a certain stigma, largely because of the relative ease with which one may be admitted to chiropractic school and the wide gap in the quality of professional care that results from this practice, but there are many studies that have demonstrated that chiropractic care is an effective way to ameliorate, or even resolve, lower back pain. (If you are interested in reading some of the articles with which I am familiar, PM me and I'd be more than happy to send them. A quick search on Google Scholar or of your school library will also suffice.)

From a more personal perspective (read: anecdotal evidence), I started seeing a chiropractor twice a week for a month, and thereafter, my lower back pain was entirely resolved. Chances are, judging from the explanation of your posture and from the fact that the LSAT is a largely sedentary endeavor, your spine may be misaligned--or "subluxated," as they like to term it. They'll work to realign your spine, the benefits of which cannot be understated. Most people are initially apprehensive because of the pain that follows their initial visit, but don't worry, your spine simply hasn't been mobilized in that manner for some time. It isn't normal to have a subluxated spine. But there are growing pains associated with realigning it.

In choosing a chiropractor, I'd recommend that you do some research. And by "some," I mean "thorough." Research their satisfaction ratings, particularly. I know that that such ratings are subjective, but in the aggregate, statistical trends will emerge. (For instance, this site has maintained a sparkling statisfaction rating (4.94), and there have been hundreds of people rating it. Happenstance? I think not.) Also, if they try to sell you "packages"--avoid them. Your back pain is unique, and your chiropractic care should be tailored to you.

I ended up writing far more than I had anticipated. I'll end here, but if you have any questions that I didn't address, don't hesitate to PM me.
  • dkim13dkim13 Member
    17 karma
    I have a compressed vertebrae in my thoracic spine that really acts up under stress. I like to put thermacare hot pads over the area that I have back pain and the heat really helps to soothe the muscles.
    453 karma
    Update: Preemptive Alleve helps a ton! Doing this and foam rolling your back and hips out will make you feel super limber and pain free while you take PT's ;)
    2481 karma
    @"Darth Jurist" . I'm so happy for you. Being free of pain is a great feeling. Just be careful about your stomach, NSAIDs in general and naproxen in particular can be very hard on it and you don't want to swap one pain for another.
    453 karma
    @"runiggyrun" Thanks for the kind words! I am also taking @"Keane Xavier" 's advice and seeking out a chiropractor to make sure it isn't anything serious. I am only taking the Alleve on days I PT, not if I am just drilling or reading. On those days if I start to tighten up I just stand up and loosen up a bit.

I am also trying some erector muscle exercises at the gym. I did some research and part of why some people slouch in their seats is because they have weak back muscles, particularly in the erector region.

I cannot tell you how great it feels to be pain free taking PTs. I think I always had a little bit of pain down there but tried to be a hardass and ignore it (that God damn pre-law ego!!).