Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your favorite way to de-stress?

AlexAlex Alum Member
in General 23929 karma
Hey guys,

I am a big advocate of avoiding burnout by taking one day per week to do NOTHING LSAT related.

So what are some fun things you guys enjoy to do when you're not studying hard for the LSAT?

I'll start:
- I like going out to eat at some of my favorite restaurants with my friends. I think it is good to get away and spend some time with people who aren't taking the LSAT. Nothing like sharing a bunch of apps and eating a delicious meal with your friends!
- I like to play piano/guitar. Playing music for me immediately takes my mind off of the LSAT. I need to concentrate and my brain need str be completely focused on what I'm doing. Plus it's fun! Also, every Sunday on my LSAT day off, I perform music with my faith group at my church. I think it is important to have something fun to look forward to. That definitely helps! :D
- I like to run. Pretty boring, but it is nice to just listen my music and go for a run around the park by where I live. I always feel much less anxious and upbeat after a run.
- Last but not least, I like to watch Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo shows.

Comments

• Micaela_OVOMicaela_OVO Alum Member
    1018 karma
    - Work out! Morning workouts are my favorite. It really gives me the energy I need to get through 9-hr work days.
    - Tan by the pool.
    - Bake. My coworkers can always tell when I'm stressed because I'll show up to work with a dozen brownies and demand they take all of them. Lol.
    - Run with the latest Drizzy Drake playlist.
    - Cry when I realize I don't have any friends because the LSAT has taken over my life :) :) :)
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"Micaela_OVO" said:
    Bake.
    This is me pretty much lol. Also I'm Muslim so it's common for us to refer back to the Quran and recite it out loud when it's time to just destress, it's pretty melodic and it just reminds me of the simple things in life and to take things one step at a time (contrary to what the media may tell you lol). Finally running is a given...even some good ol yoga.
  • SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma
    I like to watch YouTube lol

I also like to check out my snapchat and see what my friends are up to

Catch up on my reading, go to the gym, etc.

I would say binge watch a show, but I'm censoring myself from my shows until post LSAT because I know once I watch one episode, I'll have to continue until I finish so that's not an option lol
  • cmtywrkrcmtywrkr Alum Member
    40 karma
    I love this!

- I go to yoga classes twice a week to practice being present and to get a good workout.
    - I love running too!
    - I also love music and having jam sessions with my friends. I am also trying to sing with the Oakland Interfaith Gospel Choir soon!
    - I'm a community organizer with a Filipino youth and student organization and so planning out campaigns related to immigration issues is a good reminder of why I want to pursue law.
    - I journal before I go to sleep and to let go of any thoughts that have been running around in my head.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Man you guys all have pretty cool things to do!

@Micaela_OVO I love to EAT baked goods, lol. Although I don't know how to bake haha.
    I also cry when I realize I have no friends because the LSAT destroyed my social life, lol. then I remember how awesome you guys are on here.

@montaha.rizeq That sounds so peaceful and calming, I'm actually pretty jealous :D The Bible isn't melodic, so we have to add some music to zest it up, lmao. What's your favorite thing to bake? I can only bake Funfetti cake--the one where all you do is add an egg. Get some icing and you got yourself a yummy funfetti cake!

@sweetsecret Youtube is my life. I just moved a few days ago and now I don't have cable. I realized I watch almost all my favorite things on YouTube or Google Play, Hulu, Netflix, etc. I too am censoring myself from binge watching shows. I've been wanting to start a few series, but alas, I can't risk getting sucked in to another show...Not while LSAT prepping.

@KNasol106 That is what I am talking about! Music and jam sessions with the friends are sick. My college has a really cool interfaith center that I love to hang out at. They always have neat events and everyone is welcome...Totes awesome ;)
    I keep a small moleskine notebook for my thoughts and stuff. I guess it is a journal. I just don't want to admit how lame and girly that sounds, lmao.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    I wish I had a better answer to this, haha. I’m pretty isolated from society, so the best thing for me has been to take a night off to get pizza and beer and watch Netflix. I’ve maintained a very healthy lifestyle and strict no alcohol policy for LSAT, so it really is a nice break. Throughout the day, I’ll take little time outs from studying and sit on my porch and drink tea. There’s birds and squirrels and chipmunks everywhere, so watching whatever they’re up to is kind of interesting for while I’m drinking my tea. I’ve got a date over in Oxford later this week, so hopefully that’ll be good.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Pizza and beer sounds pretty damn good right now, not even going to lie.
    Also, it sounds like you have a great view from your porch. I miss having animals and birds, but I live in the city and it sucks for nature/quiet/calm.

And a date? That sounds like it should be pretty awesome. I can imagine myself on a date where I just don't stop talking about LSAT stuff, haha. I need to get a life lol
    edited August 2016 27809 karma
    Haha, yeah @"Alex Divine" . 7Sage should incorporate a Tinder style dating service for LSAT students who have forgotten how to interact with people who aren’t studying for the LSAT.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Lmao! I would sadly be on that app, as I truly have forgotten how to interact with normal people. Hopefully once classes begin again, I'l get my communication skills back, lol.
  • westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma
    In my downtime, like today, I enjoy catching up on periodicals like the Economist or Scientific American. I also recently started reading Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr's lectures on Common Law.
    11542 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" did you ever pick a name for the chipmunk? I was thinking Ella.
    edited August 2016 11542 karma
    Oh man @"Alex Divine" where do I begin. I make all sorts of desserts but my favorite thing to make for my cakes and cupcakes is Swiss meringue buttercream. I literally can eat it with a spoon. #TeamDiabetus

PS - just to clarify reciting the Qur'an entails to recite in Arabic. I just thought how weird it would sound in English and laughed out of awkwardness lol.
    27809 karma
    Katie beat you to it @montaha.rizeq . Went with Chess. I like Ella though. It is the South though, so maybe a double name is in order?
    11542 karma
    Sounds good! until we find out its a dude chipmunk lol @"Cant Get Right"
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @westcoastbestcoast said:
    Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr's lectures on Common Law.
    I am also thinking of reading some of his stuff. A friend in law school says it might be one of the only useful ways to prep as a 0L...

@montaha.rizeq OMG...That sounds so good... I love anything buttercream! I'm going to be dreaming about those tonight. #TeamDiabetus lmao :D

• 181please181please Member
    171 karma
    I sleep, apparently that's a thing. Kind of forgot about it since I started studying for the lsats.
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    -I like to workout. I live in the Hudson Valley and there are beautiful mountains to climb or hike with sick views, and water holes.
    -Cooking, baking, and especially eating.
    -Visit family or friends and hunt for pokemon.
    -On lazy days I stay home and hangout with my babies, I have a dog and a chinchilla.
    -I've been watching American Greed. This show is soo freaking good omg. Oh and theres this new trend on youtube where people put on 100 layers of makeup or nail polish. It's ridiculous, I love it.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @nanchito Lmao! I too enjoy the beauty of the Hudson Valley. I grew up close to Poughkeepsie/Lagrange area if you know where that is... Went to Arlington High school if you're familiar? Anyways, much love to the Hudson Valley.

A pet Chinchilla! That is pretty badass.
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2016 7468 karma
    This sounds silly, but deep belly breathing, especially during stressful moments, has been super helpful for me.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @hector.liang Sleep is what I need to start doing more of. Between LSAT prep, work, and life, I think I am barely getting 4-5 hours a night... Good call on that one man.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor Not dumb at all. Sometimes when I am doing a particularly challenging game or a hard RC passage, if I just slow down and breath for 10-15 seconds, it really helps me to remain calm. So it certainly is an effective way to beat some of the stress.
    1762 karma
    @"Alex Divine" Yep, Newburgh/Beacon area. So we were practically neighbors.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @nanchito Newburgh for life! A lot of my good friends went to NFA so we are definitely neighbors. Such a small word :D
    1762 karma
    @"Alex Divine" Ha, no wayyy, I graduated in 07. Yea, small world.
  • Matthew524Matthew524 Member
    651 karma
    @nanchito Im from Yonkers I think about an hour from where you guys are. I try to go upstate to go bike riding but it's a hassle.
    1762 karma
    @Matthew524 I work in Pomona
  • Shireen Bhatia-1Shireen Bhatia-1 Alum Member
    261 karma
    Piano! :) I'm a pianist and doing a piano jam session can be really fun. Workouts are great, especially swimming. Reading and creative writing are great ways to get rid of stress too.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Matthew524 YES! I can drive down to Yonkers in about a hour depending on the traffic. Everyone loves to ride on the rail trail near my house and there are other great places to bike in the Hudson Valley. Now I live and go to school in NYC and I miss the quiet of home.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Shireen Bhatia-1" Piano is the best, isn't it? I was just playing a Disney medley to relax and laugh about 2 hours ago. It is also such a good way to relax. Nothing else matters but the music when I am playing
  • Matthew524Matthew524 Member
    651 karma
    @"Alex Divine" I wish I was able to play an instrument
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Matthew524 said:
    I wish I was able to play an instrument
    You are able. You just haven't tried, lol. I'll say this, with YouTube having so many tutorials on every instrument you can think of, learning an instrument for free has never been easier or more accessible. I bought a cheap accordion back in 2010 and learned to play a couple songs just by watching Youtube.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2016 2424 karma
    I used to go to a pho joint down the street to decompress or just watched Glenn Greenwald or Marc Lamont Hill debates on YouTube. Going to the movies with a few close friends on Sundays was good too!
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    go swimming and watch Shameless
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @dennisgerrard said:
    Shameless
    Dude! I love that show! Frank is just so hilarious and I just really enjoy the show. Never a dull episode.

I wish I had a pool :(
  • Shireen Bhatia-1Shireen Bhatia-1 Alum Member
    261 karma
    @"Alex Divine" Disney is literally the best and the medleys are amazing. I've yet to try one but just listening to them gives me chills. I also really enjoy musicals *coughs Phantom of the Opera* so that's always fun to try on piano too!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Shireen Bhatia-1" I know! I am already enough of a nerd without people finding out a man in his early 20s is playing Disney Medleys in his spare time. But you're so right when you say they are the best, lol. I like certain musicals too. Phantom is one of the greats. I need to learn how to play some of those pieces.
  • Kristen BKristen B Member
    388 karma
    @dennisgerrard said:
    go swimming and watch Shameless
    Lol, I watch Shameless too on my lsat down time. Great show!
  • theLSATdreamertheLSATdreamer Alum Member
    1287 karma
    I watch suits, and express my jealousy for Michael Ross who can pick what grade he gets on the Lsats and for rachel zane who decided one morning she was feeling confident took the lsats and got a 172
  • KaterynaKateryna Alum Member
    984 karma
    -eat sushi, dozens and dozens of rolls
    -blame myself for all that sushi i ate
    -make plans to travel the world
    -realize that law school and traveling the world are pretty much incompatible
    -realize that life sucks and i better study the shit out of lsat before life starts sucking completely
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2016 23929 karma
    Haha @Kateryna you make me laugh, I like you haha :D I can eat so much sushi. Basically I stop when I am sick; not when I am full.

Don't think like that! There are tons of law jobs that require you to travel. I have a friend who works at a big law firm in NYC and takes vacations a few times a year. It isn't always as bad as people online make it out to be. It also is largely continent on what practice area you go into, and what type of firm you choose to work at. So your life won't suck and you'll still be able to travel. Law is the ultimate work hard, play hard grind.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @giordanifabiano said:
    my jealousy for Michael Ross
    Yeah...Imagine being able to get any score you want. And then go home to Rachel <3<3<3
  • KaterynaKateryna Alum Member
    984 karma
    @"Alex Divine" oh I know :) traveling is my reward after i do take the lsat and do good. its my way to stay motivated :)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Kateryna I also have a post-LSAT trip to Puerto Rico my s/o put together. I have maps of places to visit all printed out. When I feel a bit like slacking, I look at the pics and realize it's all going to be worth it. It is going to feel so good to have this test out of the way!
  • Micaela_OVOMicaela_OVO Alum Member
    1018 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" said:
    7Sage should incorporate a Tinder style dating service for LSAT students
    Lolol actually... I met my boyfriend here on 7sage. #wefoundloveinahopelessplace
    27809 karma
    Haha nice @Micaela_OVO !
    1762 karma
    @Micaela_OVO awwww <3
    27809 karma
    You can all probably guess from my extensive Lord of the Rings post on another thread, that I have yet to find a 7Sage girlfriend, lol.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Micaela_OVO" said:
    Lolol actually... I met my boyfriend here on 7sage. #wefoundloveinahopelessplace
    Man, this place is more magical than I thought. Congrats :D
  • draj0623draj0623 Alum Member
    916 karma
    Is it weird to say that sometimes I destress by reading posts on 7Sage because it gives me comfort to know that I'm not the only one riding the struggle bus? <3
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @draj0623 said:
    Is it weird to say that sometimes I destress by reading posts on 7Sage because it gives me comfort to know that I'm not the only one riding the struggle bus? <3