Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT proctor behavior

Maximus4Maximus4 Alum Member
in General 206 karma

So i've heard from several people different experiences in regards to the lsat proctors on test day. Some say that the proctors stay in the front of the room and others hover over you as you are taking the exam. I personally find it intimidating and distracting when someone is walking around me and watching over me as I am taking an exam. Does anyone know if this is a LSAC protocol or it varies from proctor to proctor?

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Varies from proctor to proctor.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited September 2017 23929 karma

It definitely varies. It's just like in undergrad some of my profs would walk around during tests and others would leave the room entirely.

I would recommend taking some PTs in a public place if only to get used to people being up and around you.

• mcglz_64mcglz_64 Alum Member
    891 karma

I'm took my last test in American University (DC), and they had several proctors in the room. One up front, and 2 walking around. It was the worst! I felt surrounded and definitely had some anxiety from it. To add on to that, the proctors were confused on who would give the 5 minute warning, so they just didn't say it.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Oh! My test site has both, hoover people and someone at the front. Zone onto the test, zone EVERYTHING else out!

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

it depends.

first time I took, 1 proctor was up front and 2 were all the way up top in the back (lecture hall) watching over us but not walking around.

2nd time, 1 proctor up front and 2 walking around every once in a while.

just depends tbh

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

Gotta be able to tune people out. Tbh, I highly recommend if you have a hard time reading something because of distractions covering your ears with your hands. You may look silly, but a good LSAT score isn't silly at all!

I've done this while taking PrepTests with other people, or taking PrepTests in noisier places. Somehow works wonders lol.

• LSAT Is ComingLSAT Is Coming Alum Member
    530 karma

Walking around is a particularly ridiculous proctor strategy for the LSAT because the order of the sections varies from desk to desk. Even if test-takers were going to attempt cheating by glancing at another student's answers -- and was successful in doing so without being noticed -- they would have about an 80% chance of bubbling in the wrong answers entirely.

• I took the LSAT in June and the proctors were standing in the front of the room. During the break I was talking to someone and she said that there was a proctor standing right in front of her desk the whole time. She said that she this made her extremely nervous so she canceled her score.... Another proctor during the start of each section would walk by our desks just to make sure we were all on the right section. The proctor who called the time would literally scream when it hit the five minute mark. Literally everyone jumped. haha. Obviously, it depends, but it would be so nerve wrecking to have someone literally just standing in front of you when you are taking the most important test of your life thus far. I don't know how the LSAC could get away with that, especially if it made someone cancel their score. Also, during this same LSAT the wrong tests got handed out and then they had to collect them. Then they tried to administer them again and they handed them out wrong again so they had to collect all of them. The whole exam took literally 8 hours. This was the June LSAT so I literally didn't get home until 8 PM. I hope everything goes by smoother on Saturday! Good luck everyone!!!! WE CAN DO THIS!!!!! <3