Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm scared of the clock

tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
in General 2573 karma

Hey, guys! I'm looking for advice. I started my studies without timing. When I found 7 Sage I continued to drill without timing. I'm now afraid of the clock. I will literally talk myself out of doing a PT because I'm scared of the clock. I can sit and take PTs all day without the clock but the moment I add the clock into the picture my whole thought process and strategy goes out the window. My scores are affected by this, obviously. I know my BR scores should be higher than the PT but there's a huge difference. Any suggestions? Obviously I need to just use the darn clock but give me something else. Anybody been in this situation? Anybody know what I can do to just forget the clock and stick to my game plan? I started by giving myself a min and some change on questions but that didn't seem to work. I was so scatter brained and my thoughts were all over the place. I was still not able to settle down and implement my game plan and strategy for that question type. This timing issue is also a huge reason why I keep pushing the test off. Help!!

Comments

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

Hey @tanes256 dont worry, this is completely natural.
    My suggestion is to start woth individual timed sections. This is a great way to practice timing and it allows for more targeted practice.
    Alternatively, you can drill timed sets of 5 qs or 10qs

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@nathanieljschwartz thank you! This is exactly what I planned to do. I also thought about having the stopwatch running just so there’s some sort of timing factor.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@tanes256 said:
    @nathanieljschwartz thank you! This is exactly what I planned to do. I also thought about having the stopwatch running just so there’s some sort of timing factor.

I highly recommend getting used to time with a stop watch first.

this is what I did for a long time and it helped me tremendously not only in my speed but also in getting over the clock pressure. It will always feel like there is a time pressure though, because there simply just is that pressure and you can't escape it on this test. But if you just practice and see how long you take on stuff, you will eventually come to realize that you can finish stuff in the time allotted and that you will be fine. Of course, assuming you have the fundamentals down and know your stuff!

• elle_satelle_sat Alum Member
    98 karma

@TheMikey said:

@tanes256 said:

this is what I did for a long time and it helped me tremendously not only in my speed but also in getting over the clock pressure. It will always feel like there is a time pressure though, because there simply just is that pressure and you can't escape it on this test. But if you just practice and see how long you take on stuff, you will eventually come to realize that you can finish stuff in the time allotted and that you will be fine. Of course, assuming you have the fundamentals down and know your stuff!

Can you go into detail on how you used the stop watch? Per section or drill set or full PT? I find myself very intimidated and flustered by having jumped into "timed proctored" PTs. Thanks in advance :) !!

• theLSATgrind2017theLSATgrind2017 Alum Member
    440 karma

I had the same issue early on. I eased myself into the whole timing aspect of the LSAT. I would do 5 LR questions timed, then when I was comfortable I started doing 10... and so on. You coul also increase/decrease your time depending on how quickly you would like to finish the section.

• StrangerThanFiction175StrangerThanFiction175 Free Trial Member
    99 karma

I agree with maybe starting with sections and working up to full length practice tests. That might help you condition yourself to being comfortable with the time without the pressure of having to score your performance at the end.

Also, there's a mindset factor here. This is where I think meditation can help. There's apps like headspace that are a good introduction to meditation and the first ten lessons are free (or something like that). The idea is that you want to be aware of time but not react to it. The more you can focus on one task at a time (this is what meditation is all about) the less time will sap away your attention from the test.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

You just have to get used to taking timed drills and tests. One of the dangers in doing too much untimed work is that one can develop a fear of the clock. It's actually pretty common, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Just force yourself to face your fear... It's just a pencil and paper test. It literally cannot hurt you so don't be scared!

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

Well @"Alex Divine" im not sure how true that is. one time a NA question jumped off the page and stabbed me in the brain. Had a headache for hours

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

I got over my fear when I started doing 8 minute blocks for RC and Games. It takes a few days, but eventually you'll begin to feel time differently.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@nathanieljschwartz said:
    Well @"Alex Divine" im not sure how true that is. one time a NA question jumped off the page and stabbed me in the brain. Had a headache for hours

:mrgreen: I stand corrected. I've too had an LR question that has actually caused me physical pain. Also in my brain LMAO

• Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    645 karma

There's no reason to be afraid of the clock. Sure, you could just work the section until the proctor calls 5 minute warning, but that's a bad idea. The clock is your friend -- it's giving you useful information that you can use to improve your pacing :smile:

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@elle_sat said:

@TheMikey said:

@tanes256 said:

Can you go into detail on how you used the stop watch? Per section or drill set or full PT? I find myself very intimidated and flustered by having jumped into "timed proctored" PTs. Thanks in advance :) !!

While drilling by question type or game type I never ever timed myself. You drill to dissect the test and learn and with better understanding comes the timing aspect.

When I first started, I did use a stopwatch for PTs but did not go over time, I just used a stopwatch. You probably shouldn't use a stopwatch when doing a PT but I don't see any downside. I don't do that anymore though, now I just use the 7sage proctor and a watch.

where I used a stopwatch most was drilling FULL SECTIONS. like I said above, when drilling by question type or game type I don't time, but for full sections I did. I basically just finish the section no matter how far over 35 mins I went. I would make note of it and try harder to adjust my reading speed and questions I tackle first that I know I can do faster, etc. (sidenote): Where this helped me most was in logic games. I would do a full LG section and do like an extreme punishment type of thing where if I got 1 question wrong on one of the games OR if I went over 35 mins, I would do that entire section over again and try to eliminate all wrong answer choices under 35 mins. Might not be the best way, but this is how LG became my best section.

• skrishnanskrishnan Alum Member
    edited September 2017 209 karma

I face the same problem, the difference between my Pt and BR is way too much. What I am doing now, is drilling individual question types along with timed sections. A week ago, I was almost 5-6 min over on RC sections, I drilled for 3 days and did not see much improvement which was disheartening, but I am now aware of where my weaknesses lie, which is I think is the biggest step.
    Take it slow, realise what's eating up most of your time and work towards those specific areas. And yeah, use a stop watch.
    With RC, I time myself once after reading the passage (when i started it was closer to 5 min, now a little under 4) and then I would time myself after the questions ( Still working with the time on this). This may not be the best method, but it's made me more comfortable with the clock, as I have targets set against each minute.
    What I've come to realise is, familiarity with question types distracts you from the time pressure, since there is this sense of confidence and you just want to move on to the next question and get it right, you end up thinking about the clock a lot less!

2573 karma

Thanks, guys! I'm going to try your suggestions and let you all know my progress! I think another thing that's helping me is getting more comfortable with skipping. I do skip but probably not quick enough. I did a timed LR section yesterday and I specifically worked on skipping. I checked the clock and saw that I had over 3 mins left after my first run through. I was familiar with the ones that I'd skipped and had already eliminated some AC so it was enough time to give them another run through. I'm also trying not to panic when I see question types that I know are my weakness. Skipping has helped calm my nerves with those but I know the only thing that's going to help with that is addressing the issue with that question type.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited September 2017 10774 karma

I am going to go on a different road here and tell you that you don't need a clock. Even if the proctor forgets to call 5 minute mark, they will eventually call time to end the section.

Looking at a time is useful because it tells you how your section strategy is faring when compared to the time constraint of LSAT. So if you find yourself slower, you need to fix that section strategy. So if the purpose of a watch is to make sure that you perform your section in a timely manner, you can alternatively, instead of having a watch , video record yourself and see later how your section strategy works when compared to the time constraint. If you find yourself lingering on questions you need a strategy that lets you move on from those questions.

I have found that reading at a normal speed and moving on from questions when I have the answer actually leads me to complete 25 questions in 25 minutes. It's about having a decisive section strategy and adhering to it rather than looking at a watch that's more helpful. I know how I need to do each question and act like when I encounter a hard vs an easy question; and based on my first round and my question markings, I know which questions are a priority. So even if I have 2 min left or 5 min or 10 min I pretty much have an order that I attempt these questions. If there are only 2 min left I know which question that will be and if 5 min left, I also know which questions I have to go back to again. So when time is called doesn't change what order I would attempt each of those questions. So in that way, what my watch says is pretty useless. I have an order I do questions till the time runs out based on the priority I have marked them for.

So I would actually suggest building that section strategy which you do listen to and adhere to. This will help you more than looking at a clock and letting what the clock says decide how you read or do your section.

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@Sami said:
    I am going to go on a different road here and tell you that you don't need a clock. Even if the proctor forgets to call 5 minute mark, they will eventually call time to end the section.

Looking at a time is useful because it tells you how your section strategy is faring when compared to the time constraint of LSAT. So if you find yourself slower, you need to fix that section strategy. So if the purpose of a watch is to make sure that you perform your section in a timely manner, you can alternatively, instead of having a watch , video record yourself and see later how your section strategy works when compared to the time constraint. If you find yourself lingering on questions you need a strategy that lets you move on from those questions.

I have found that reading at a normal speed and moving on from questions when I have the answer actually leads me to complete 25 questions in 25 minutes. It's about having a decisive section strategy and adhering to it rather than looking at a watch that's more helpful. I know how I need to do each question and act like when I encounter a hard vs an easy question; and based on my first round and my question markings, I know which questions are a priority. So even if I have 2 min left or 5 min or 10 min I pretty much have an order that I attempt these questions. If there are only 2 min left I know which question that will be and if 5 min left, I also know which questions I have to go back to again. So when time is called doesn't change what order I would attempt each of those questions. So in that way, what my watch says is pretty useless. I have an order I do questions till the time runs out based on the priority I have marked them for.

So I would actually suggest building that section strategy which you do listen to and adhere to. This will help you more than looking at a clock and letting what the clock says decide how you read or do your section.

I loosely follow this. Great advice :)

2573 karma

@Sami said:

I totally agree, however; my problem is that I panic when the clock is running. It's not about looking at the clock. I forget strategy and I'm too panicked to get focused enough to actually implement the necessary strategy for the question type. I just go through the section answering questions as someone with no LSAT experience would answer. I don't run out of time. I'm actually able to get to them all. I circle those that I'm unsure of but even when I go back I'm still too flustered to implement the necessary strategy. The clock just makes me want to speed and there is absolutely no focus. My BR score is drastically different because there's no timing factor.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@tanes256

Sorry I misunderstood what you were asking : (

I am going to tag @"Daniel.Sieradzki" for you. He is amazing and someone who I think can give you advice because he has overcome similar issues regarding LSAT.