Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What school would you pay sticker for?

TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
in General 4196 karma

So in the wait for scores to come out, I have a discussion starter!

What school would you pay sticker for?

No arguing about others' decisions/opinions please, this is just for fun while we wait for scores or this is a distraction from your studies! :D

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

My answer: HYS

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

I would pay the full registration fee and that's about it. LOL

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@tams2018 said:
    I would pay the full registration fee and that's about it. LOL

haha, but what if you do get a full ride but still have to cover COL? :P

• Tavorak_Tavorak_ Free Trial Member
    115 karma

Homeschool

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Columbia, Stanford and Harvard. Dream/reach schools.

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma

YHS. After that, I'm relatively indifferent between the top 14, so scholarships is my determining factor after the top 3.

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

Maybe UVA but that is my dream/reach school. Even then it would be hard to justify a massive six-figure debt, though the employment numbers do help.

This is a great question @TheMikey because this is maybe the most important thing to ask yourself throughout the entire process. When does attending X school cross the line from being an investment and turn into shackles? While not everyone knows what kind of law they want to practice, having a ballpark idea helps a bit because then you know what kind of salary range you will possibly have.

Big law is no guarantee, even at HYS or the rest at the T-14 though your odds are quite higher, and we have to be aware of what the other options are if we do not make it into big law. Are you ok with making less than $100,000 coming out of law school? If not, then maybe paying $50,000+ a year at a top school isn't the best idea. This is a question that I have pondered quite a bit and think that everyone should as well.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Accounts Playable" said:
    YHS. After that, I'm relatively indifferent between the top 14, so scholarships is my determining factor after the top 3.

My exact answer. AccountPlayable is my LSAT-spirit animal!

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

Probably all of the top 5. I had a friend call attending a top law school a "dividend-paying investment," which I wholeheartedly agree with. The pay increase for straight-out-of-law-school jobs for the top schools, and the ease of getting a job in the first place, I think offsets costs of debt.

But then again Clarence Thomas didn't finish paying his law school loans till he was a Supreme Court Justice and that's scary :'(

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited October 2017 23929 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    Probably all of the top 5. I had a friend call attending a top law school a "dividend-paying investment," which I wholeheartedly agree with. The pay increase for straight-out-of-law-school jobs for the top schools, and the ease of getting a job in the first place, I think offsets costs of debt.

But then again Clarence Thomas didn't finish paying his law school loans till he was a Supreme Court Justice and that's scary :'(

Barack and Michelle Obama didn't finish paying off their loans until they were nearly in the White House. Considering all the success both had prior to politics, it is scary to think of that debt.

I'd also probably entertain the idea of sticker at Columbia too. I feel like securing a big law job from there is a pretty doable goal based on their stats as the biggest BL feeder school.

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

Prob any of the top 10.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Any T14

• rene4231rene4231 Alum Member
    162 karma

Duke. That's it, my ED school so makes sense. I did undergrad in NC so I would love to stay here and I absolutely love the program.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited October 2017 1917 karma

HYS, but even then I would expect to get at least something from their need based financial aid. At any of the other T14, I would really like at least 50% off, if not 75%.

• Trust But VerifyTrust But Verify Alum Member
    432 karma

None. Being Debt free (or as close to it) is my number 1 priority.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

HYS, Columbia and Chicago

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Paul Caint" said:

Barack and Michelle Obama didn't finish paying off their loans until they were nearly in the White House. Considering all the success both had prior to politics, it is scary to think of that debt.

Worked out pretty well in the end, though!

• TaylorAnnTaylorAnn Free Trial Member
    202 karma

maybe Yale or harvard?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@uhinberg said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Paul Caint" said:

Worked out pretty well in the end, though!

Haha ... I'm hoping for a similar outcome ;)

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

Yale for sure. Probably Harvard unless I get a better than expected scholarship at another Top 6 school.

Nowhere else because I expect to have at least some scholarship offers at peer schools of the schools ranked lower and am planning to go into PI so want to avoid debt by going where I get money.