Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First 170 on a prep test! Just wanna say thanks 7Sage!!!

_oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
edited April 2018 in General 3652 karma

This is my first PT after I started going back through the 7Sage CC in January. I haven’t taken a PT since around September 2016. Never got over a 160 when I studied over the summer of 2016.
Tbh I did grade it before BRing it but I’m gonna BR I swear.
I threw in a random section so it’d be 5 sections, bubbled in my answers, used the timed proctor. Totally choked on the first simple sequencing game since I wrote down a rule wrong and just skipped it and tried to do the next one but still had some nerves so I f*cked that up too, by the third game I finally calmed down and got 100% on the rest of it. Ended up with -10 on LG smh. LRs I hit -0 and -1, RC I got -2. Didn’t grade the extra 5th section yet.
Haven’t used any prep material other than 7Sage. People on here emphasizing the importance of BR and writing out explanations to answers has helped me a lot.
Moving forward I’m gonna start drilling one LR or RC section and then immediately do an LG section after. I obviously struggle to switch my brain back into LG mode. I have no problem with LG until I’m taking it in the middle of an exam.

Comments

• Return On InferenceReturn On Inference Alum Member
    503 karma

Congrats on the 170! Looks like you might have a 180 in your future if you're scoring 170 with -10 on LG!

Unrelated but in the future you should really try to BR first before you grade -- knowing how many mistakes you have in a section really poisons your BR and makes it almost useless imo.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited April 2018 3652 karma

@"Return On Inference" said:
    Congrats on the 170! Looks like you might have a 180 in your future if you're scoring 170 with -10 on LG!

Unrelated but in the future you should really try to BR first before you grade -- knowing how many mistakes you have in a section really poisons your BR and makes it almost useless imo.

No yeah I know, i’m not gonna skip to grading right away moving forward, I just really wanted to know that I’ve improved. I’m still gonna BR through the questions that I circled. I didn’t make any right/wrong marks on the exam itself so I can still BR as if I didn’t grade.

• beezmoofbeezmoof Alum Member
    555 karma

Wooo!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

That's amazing! Congrats!!!

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

Damnnnnn congrats!! 170 while messing up LG? Looks like you may have a 180 soon. I know who I'm going to be messaging for LR and RC tips.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

This is wonderful to hear. What had your post-CC PT experiences been like before this point/before your study break? Proud of you for the great score.

3652 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    This is wonderful to hear. What had your post-CC PT experiences been like before this point/before your study break? Proud of you for the great score.

I may as well have been drunk when I was studying in summer 2016. I was going through 7Sage CC but I had no idea what I was doing. I skipped through the very first sections on grammar and basic logic bc I was like I’m a philosophy major I don’t need this. I didn’t write out explanations to LR questions, I didn’t really [try to] understand the LR questions I got wrong. I was really frustrated with all of it. I skipped the RC section entirely bc I wanted to jump into PTs so I could take the September LSAT. I was rushing through everything. Sometimes I would watch the explanation videos laying in bed which was so dumb I just didn’t take any of it seriously. I didn’t really understand the foolproofing technique for LG and was highly dependent on the explanation videos and couldn’t figure LG out on my own. I didn’t really take notes. I never drilled any sections and went straight into PT. I probably only took 4 preptests and never included an additional 5th section. Got distracted by a new significant other and turning 21 and having too much fun and stopped studying and just blindly took the June 2017 LSAT in the middle of finals which was horrible. I treated LSAT studying like I was cramming for a final.
    I thought getting over a 165 was unheard of and since I started off in the high 150s I figured I would just somehow soak in enough info to get to a 165.
    Now I’m just doing absolutely none of that lol and doing everything I can to get into a t10 (:

• ajaraya0ajaraya0 Alum Member
    79 karma

Not surprised, the comments you've left everywhere have been sooooo helpful! Congrats!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

Congrats, that's a big milestone!

We put so much pressure on ourselves for LG because this idea is circulated that you've got to go -0. Well, you don't! To build consistency, you need to be good at LG; you need to be capable of going -0. But there's nothing special about LG that if you miss a few you automatically drop out of the 170's. Can you imagine that kind of pressure for LR or RC? It'd be ridiculous, and it's no less ridiculous for LG. So relax and take some of the pressure off of LG! For top scorers, there is an acceptable margin of error beyond a -0. Learn from your mistakes, do better next time, and don't freak out when the section doesn't go perfectly. Sounds like you're well on your way.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    Congrats, that's a big milestone!

We put so much pressure on ourselves for LG because this idea is circulated that you've got to go -0. Well, you don't! To build consistency, you need to be good at LG; you need to be capable of going -0. But there's nothing special about LG that if you miss a few you automatically drop out of the 170's. Can you imagine that kind of pressure for LR or RC? It'd be ridiculous, and it's no less ridiculous for LG. So relax and take some of the pressure off of LG! For top scorers, there is an acceptable margin of error beyond a -0. Learn from your mistakes, do better next time, and don't freak out when the section doesn't go perfectly. Sounds like you're well on your way.

That's definitely right. You don't need to get a -0 on logic games. It's just the section most people can most easilly get close to -0 in. I missed 1 on the logic games section when I got my 180 in September and it is still a perfect score.

@"surfy surf"
    It seems like with a little more work on getting those logic games skills to transfer to the actual test and maintaining where you are on the other sections, you are going to get a tippy top score that any school would be happy with.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

With those scores in LR and RC you have a solid shot at the 175+ club. Good Luck!

3652 karma

3rd take got a 168 ughhh

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    1866 karma

@"surfy surf" said:
    3rd take got a 168 ughhh

I totally get the pain, especially when you know you can score even higher. But scores fluctuate -- you got this, just keep at it! :smile:

• KeepCalmKeepCalm Alum Member
    807 karma

CONGRATS! THAT’S AWESOME!

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

168 is still really good! I don't have the chart in front of me so I don't remember the actual difference between how many you got wrong for 168 and 170 but I don't think it's something to be upset about. This is the beginning of your PT journey and you're at a great starting point, fluctuations are normal.

In fact, it's a good thing because now you'll identify and conquer those weaknesses so they can't fool you on test day :)!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Omg, that is awesome! I have been watching your posts for a while, and I am so excited for you!

• ATLsat_2019ATLsat_2019 Member
    455 karma

Congrats!!

4423 karma

@"surfy surf" said:
    3rd take got a 168 ughhh

How did it break down?

Additionally, don't stress too much about your score on any one test. There is always that 3 point margin of error which basically means the test takers thought you could score within a six point range with the same ability on any test. This makes it kind of hard to judge progress.

For instance you could have an ability right now of anything from a 167 to a 171 and still got both of those scores without straying from that 3 point margin of error. Any of those is a really good place to be. For all we know you had an ability of 167 when you took the 170 and over performed and now have an ability of a 171 and underperformed. That's not even accounting for the fact that people do score below and above their potential scores by more than 3 points especially as you get higher and high scores and fewer questions make up the difference.

edited May 2018 3652 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

@"surfy surf" said:
    3rd take got a 168 ughhh

How did it break down?

Additionally, don't stress too much about your score on any one test. There is always that 3 point margin of error which basically means the test takers thought you could score within a six point range with the same ability on any test. This makes it kind of hard to judge progress.

For instance you could have an ability right now of anything from a 167 to a 171 and still got both of those scores without straying from that 3 point margin of error. Any of those is a really good place to be. For all we know you had an ability of 167 when you took the 170 and over performed and now have an ability of a 171 and underperformed. That's not even accounting for the fact that people do score below and above their potential scores by more than 3 points especially as you get higher and high scores and fewer questions make up the difference.

It was -4 RC, -3 LR, -4 LG, -3 LR. I'm not too stressed I just wanna push into the mid 170s so I feel totally chill like I could "bomb" and do a few points below my PTs and still get a 170. I'm gonna start skipping strategies with LR and try to do 25 in 25. LG I know I can do -0, lately I've been finishing LG sections -0 with 6-10 minutes to spare. and RC I'm just going to keep drilling idk what else to do there.

edited May 2018 4423 karma

@"surfy surf"
    For the LR one thing I thought helped me was keeping pictures of all the LR questions I had ever missed and flicking through them and remembering the right explanations for why each wrong answer is wrong and each right one is right.

It is kind of a more laid back studying thing you can do on commercials or whatever when your not feeling a full out study session.

I believe you'll get your 170+ either on this test or if need be in September.

edited May 2018 3652 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    @"surfy surf"
    For the LR one thing I thought helped me was keeping pictures of all the LR questions I had ever missed and flicking through them and remembering the right explanations for why each wrong answer is wrong and each right one is right.

It is kind of a more laid back studying thing you can do on commercials or whatever when your not feeling a full out study session.

I believe you'll get your 170+ either on this test or if need be in September.

Thank you for the support I really really appreciate it :)

I remember you commented about that a while ago, I've recently started taking screenshots of my wrong LR qs, but have been too lazy to make a word doc of it to print. I didnt think about just sending them to my phone and flicking through the pics. That's a good idea, might try that after I do my skip seshs.