Practice Test Simulation Question - Headphone Use

in General 93 karma

Hey 7Sagers!

I was wondering if someone who already had practice simulating test-day conditions/completing a p-test could provide some input.

If you take the test in a public place like a library, do you use headphones to listen to the proctor app? (I don't want to disturb other ppl in the library, but I also feel like wearing headphones won't be representative of the test day environment).

Any advice/comments about your own experience would be very much appreciated!

Headphone use for proctor app
  1. Do you use headphones for the proctor app when taking a practice test in a public space?27 votes
    1. Always
      51.85%
    2. Never
      29.63%
    3. Sometimes
      18.52%

Comments

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

I try really, really hard to never use headphones. I just have the proctor app on really quietly, so I can just hear it. I feel like getting used to headphones will be a detriment.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yep, I used earbuds. And I did also make use of the white noise/distractions part. When it comes down to it, you're not going to be able to 100% re-create test day environment. But you're not going to panic on test day because you don't have earbuds in. It's not cool to play things like that in a library without headphones, but also having a 5 minute warning and listening to the test instructions is important to get the vibe of what the test will feel like. Headphones are fine.

• 93 karma

@AudaciousRed and @"Leah M B" thanks so much! The poll is now 60% to 40% :'D I think I will try both ways just to get a feel for the different experiences. But Leah I completely agree. I'll make sure there's no one in the area with me, and turn it on super quietly! :)

• bobjon1293bobjon1293 Alum Member
    269 karma

I always use noise-canceling headphones. I don't see why it'd be an issue provided that you allow for sufficient background noise and distractions in the proctor app.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

People whisper/talk/hold loud meetings/generally do whatever they want in public libraries. It's fine to have your app low volume on speaker. But, I dont think headphones will have a tremendous effect on your adjusting to the real LSAT conditions. Just don't use any noise cancelling headphones/apps or earplugs. You're not gonna hear white noise or dead silence during the LSAT and you need to train your brain to noise-cancel on its own.

• bobjon1293bobjon1293 Alum Member
    269 karma

Just to clarify my above comment -- I use noise-cancelling headphones that are connected to my iPhone, which is playing the 7Sage proctor app. I don't hear the outside noises very well, but I certainly hear the background noises and distractions that I've enabled in the 7Sage app, which I believe is sufficient simulation for test-day.

• arman_65arman_65 Alum Member
    252 karma

plug in the headphones, turn it up on high volume and leave it on the table. this way its loud enough for you to hear but not distracting to others

• edited May 2018 439 karma

Yes, even though the 5 minute warning always scares the S*** out of me

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@"gerth.brooks" said:
    Yes, even though the 5 minute warning always scares the S*** out of me

Have you ever used the voice of "Bruce" on the 7Sage app? It always scares the #$%* out of me.

• 439 karma

@akistotle Yeah. good to know Batman was a 7sager

• 93 karma

@"gerth.brooks" I was SO focused on one of the sections, and when the 'proctor' made the five minute warning I actually jumped in my seat. The people next to me probably thought I was crazy :'D

I should probably turn my volume down...

• 93 karma

Thanks so much everyone for your input. It's very much appreciated, and I'll definitely try out a bunch of different options.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited May 2018 1866 karma

@"Creative Username" Seems like you already got your answer, but I thought I'd add my two-cents.

I usually take tests in coffee shops (for the noise, to get myself better at re-centering when I get distracted), and I started using headphones after an experience with a test where the section was over but I hadn't heard the proctor. Even wearing headphones I can always hear the conversations around me, but I can also hear the proctor. Once in a while I take a PT at home and don't wear headphones -- it's actually more comfortable to test without them on, imo. So I don't believe it's something that you'll "miss" during the actual test.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I get really used to things like my phone in my pocket to the point where I feel little waves of anxiety if it isn't there so I figured it would be best not to become acclimated to something that wouldn't be there on the real test day.

I recommend finding a noisy enough part of the library that the proctor is okay or finding a busier public space. I took most of my PTs either at my family's home near the noise of the kitchen or in my university's library in the section where people could eat and talk.