Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With all honesty, should I use PowerScore Bible for RC or should I use 7sage?

I've heard that I may be better served using PowerScore Bible for RC than I would 7sage, is this true? Anyone have any experience with both? I'm not saying that what I have heard is true, and I'm certainly not looking to instigate any bias-related arguments, just looking for candor and a way to maximize my efficiency in terms of studying with regards to time-management and available resources. Thank you!

Comments

• Tonyk215Tonyk215 Alum Member
    123 karma

In my opinion the strategy that works best for RC varies a lot depending on the person. I’m not totally familiar with PowerScore bibles RC strategy but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to try both methods over a period of time to see which one works best for you

• btate87btate87 Alum Member
    edited May 2018 782 karma

I did the RC Bible before 7sage. If you're entirely new to the test, it's nice to have such a thorough breakdown of parameters that matter like POV, tone, etc., but for me the process they lay out is way too cumbersome. I won't say I didn't get anything out of it, but I will say I started doing better when I quit trying to turn the passage into an art project. Nicole Hopkins' webinar on RC (not sure if it's hosted on 7Sage, but you can find it on YouTube) gives much more efficient mark-up strategies. If you don't like notating passages, then definitely skip the Bible.

• lsatplaylistlsatplaylist Member
    5249 karma

I'd personally recommend going through the RC lessons and problem sets on here, but that's just what I think; it does probably vary from person to person.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

I originally did the powerscore bibles before 7sage so I liked the whole notation strategy of marking things up in that way of author's argument, other people's argument, etc. But I found that I was spending more time on doing the notation strategy than actually absorbing the information. The RC webinars that JY has been doing recently have really helped me and the idea of low-res summaries have really helped me grasp the "big picture". Some people find notation strategies really helpful and others are successful by barely marking the page. I would suggest implementing 7sage's memory method and if that isn't enough, if you feel that you would be served better with a notation strategy then either look to supplement it with the bibles or Nicole Hopkins' webinar.

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma

7sage (for grammar) and LSAT Trainer (for strategies). Thank me later.

• UrbanNerdUrbanNerd Alum Member
    12 karma

I tried the bible and did not see significant improvements. I would say try 7 sage, and focus on practice and reviewing over and over. Marking so much only wasted my time. Actually, all the powerscore bibles did haha.

• btate87btate87 Alum Member
    782 karma

I second 7sage + LSAT Trainer. Did the Bible first. It's fine...just fine.

• LastLSATLastLSAT Alum Member
    1028 karma

Started with the Bible and saw my RC average drop from -2/-3 before down to -4/-5 after reading it.

Transitioned to 7Sage + Trainer and saw my RC average on PTs go up to -0/-1, which held true on the real test.

Powerscore just promotes an unrealistic strategy that is a major waste of time. Low resolution summary is the way to go. Don't bother trying to turn RC passages into a diagramming exercise like Powerscore would have you believe is the best approach. RC is about reading...so spend your time on the passage doing only that.

• ML_LSAT_KillaML_LSAT_Killa Alum Member
    edited June 2018 267 karma

@LastLSAT said:
    Started with the Bible and saw my RC average drop from -2/-3 before down to -4/-5 after reading it.

Transitioned to 7Sage + Trainer and saw my RC average on PTs go up to -0/-1, which held true on the real test.

Powerscore just promotes an unrealistic strategy that is a major waste of time. Low resolution summary is the way to go. Don't bother trying to turn RC passages into a diagramming exercise like Powerscore would have you believe is the best approach. RC is about reading...so spend your time on the passage doing only that.

I found powerscore rc gimmicky with as mentioned lots of marking up of passages that didn't really help me

• kwdardiskwdardis Alum Member
    155 karma

I love JY's method of low resolution summarizing. Prior to 7Sage I was summarizing waaaay too much. And over summarizing was not helping me. JY makes a good point in mentioning that from low resolution you can always expand.

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

7Sage!

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

LSAT Trainer and Manhattan Prep books were good too, but you won't really notice score improvements necessarily after finishing the books. They were more helpful in training me on how to review my Reading Sections. Incorrect answers are either unsupported, contradicted, too narrow, or too broad. Correct answers are either directly stated by line referencing or inferred from different sections of the passage. If you can identify which category each answer choice falls under then you'll see some solid improvement. Also don't worry about slow improvement, RC takes the longest to click in your head. Hope that helps @JohnnyKarate !

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    edited July 2018 990 karma

They are all solid materials to begin your journey. As for the students in here that transition from the Bible to 7sage, the reality is that your philosophy towards the test should be like Bruce Lee's philosophy of Jeet Kune Do.

"Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless and add what is specifically your own"

I have used materials from every prep test company looking for additional insights and methods. 7Sage is great, but eventually you'll achieve a level of familiarity and develop your methodology to find your own way forward.

https://media.giphy.com/media/IG5tmcGU9xenK/giphy.gif

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@tams2018 said:
    7sage (for grammar) and LSAT Trainer (for strategies). Thank me later.

Literally THIS.

At the very least, i think everyone (yes, EVERYONE) should take a look at the LSAT trainer's RC chapters even if it is just those chapters that someone reads.

• OneFortyDotSixOneFortyDotSix Alum Member
    634 karma

honestly if you have the time, do both. I found valuable takeaways from both that work well in parallel