Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another "Retake?" Post

amatthews304amatthews304 Alum Member
edited June 2018 in July 2018 LSAT 215 karma

Hoping to get some thoughts from outsiders perspective. Just checked my June score and got a 165.

This is a few points below my average PTs (168) with a few in the low 170s. I know conventional wisdom is that I should definitely retake (and I plan to), it's just a matter of when.

I'm signed up for the July LSAT and I'm trying to decide whether or not to take it. Heres my situation: I'm joining the Peace Corps and leaving the country September 15. While I could technically take the September exam, I've ruled it out because I don't want to be studying for the lsat until right before I leave. I'm prioritizing spending time preparing for my service and visiting friends and family before I'm gone for 2 years (I highly doubt I'll be able to come back and visit during my service).
So I'm trying to decide if I should take the July test or push back retaking until I get back from the PC. I'm comfortable with waiting. I'm not opposed to finishing my service and moving back, finding a job and working at a nonprofit for a year or however long it takes while I pick back up my studies. But I also think if I could score a 170 in July I wouldn't have to take it again.

GPA is right around a 3.5 and my goals are lower T-14 or a hefty scholarship to a Tier 1 school in the south.

I just don't think I can do enough in 3 weeks to feel confident that I can get a 170 on the July test and given that it would take up one of the 2.5 months I have left I'm just not sure the trade-off is worth it.

Score breakdown for June was -3 LG, -6 RC, -5 LR, -3 LR

I messed up my timing on RC and missed 3 from speeding through the last passage. My LG score is pretty representative and I usually miss between 1 and 4 on LR sections. What do y'all think I should do?

Edit: also this was my second take. First was a 160 in September 2017 after self studying.

Comments

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

You answered your own question. Don't take July. Take it when you are ready. This is your third take and you really shouldn't take it again unless you absolutely have to. Do everything you can to make sure you are ready in September then go get that 170+. I personally don't think November is late either. As long as you submit your applications right when you get your score you will be fine. You already have a gameplan, especially with RC, so just go out and execute.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I really think you should go ahead and take the July test. If it helps any, my PTs were similar to yours and I got a 168 in December and then a 164 on this one. Ouch. Sometimes, freak things just happen on tests. I know it's "conventional wisdom" that you score lower on test day than on PTs, but I don't really think that is necessarily all that true. If you've prepared well, taken PTs in varying conditions, and don't have known struggles with test anxiety, you should be able to score in your typical PT range. Some people even score above their usual PTs. I think even without much additional studying, just staying fresh on the material, you'd be likely to score closer to your goal in July.

That said, since you're obviously not going to law school this cycle, it's not imperative that you take it. But if you've already paid the fee, seems like you might as well sit for it. There's no strong reason to cancel. You could just stay fresh on the material, and see what happens on the next go.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Why wouldn’t you be able to bring prep books with you and take the lsat while you’re in the peace corps?

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I'd take it. I'd also schedule a November or December take. Then I would do my best on the first shot apply with that score(hopefully it's higher than your 165 which is already pretty good) in Septemberish when you get back and then study hard for your retake. If that goes well, you should get good results. If not you would still potentially have February.

The reason I would push the pace rather than waiting a year or two is because I'm concerned the LSAT is losing importance. A lot of schools have started taking the GRE. It's not clear how long it will take before the Us News ranking system stops valuing LSAT medians as much. After all if schools can just admit people who take the GRE instead and it is easier to get a higher percentile GRE score how do you rate those people against each other or rank the schools accepting them. I think you look to other factors like GPA. If it does shift that direction, how much can your 3.5 get you? Of course I worried about the same thing for myself and the sky hasn't fallen yet, but it still seems like it will fall eventually.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

• amatthews304amatthews304 Alum Member
    215 karma

@"surfy surf" I'm going to be in rural Benin, and I dont know how reliable my access to the internet will be. And the nearest test site is in Nigeria, so it will probably require at least 2 days to travel there. Not insurmountable odds but not ideal either. I'd certainly at least bring the Powerscore books and work through those, but since I dont know exactly what my living situation will be, I'm not comfortable relying on that time for quality studying.

• amatthews304amatthews304 Alum Member
    edited June 2018 215 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" yeah I'm also kinda curious to see how much admissions are gonna change when I get back in 2 years. Both with the GRE and if this years competitive cycle is an anomaly or the beginning of a trend.

@"Leah M B" I felt like I managed my stress a lot better the second test, but I've underperformed my average by a few points on both takes so I feel a little bit worn down by the prospect of that happening a 3rd time.

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

I would take it before you go. I know it's rough to study when you're focusing on something else, but has someone who has spent time working/living in both rural and urban areas of West Africa, it's going to be much, much harder to study when you don't have access to the same infrastructure.
    Moreover, you're going to be somewhere amazing! You're going to want to spend your free moments there, interacting with people, experiencing that place, practicing the language -- not shut up in your room, PT'ing. Although it's up to you, if I were you, I'd buckle down now and take it before.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

If you don't mind waiting 2 years to take the LSAT (when you come back) you might find that waiting 2 years is the best option for you. It gives you the most freedom to study at your own leisure and to not risk a rushed score drop. In addition, the fact that your PT average is 168 over recent tests suggests that you should statistically be scoring below 168 on test day. If you want a 168+ (t14 gatekeeper) then you really should try to push your PT average above 171.