Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I just need help. This admissions stuff is crazy.

samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
edited July 2018 in Law School Admissions 1777 karma

I wish someone could hold my hand through this process and help me every step of the way. Does anyone tutor people on this stuff? God, help me.

Diversity statement question:
- I am a member of the LGBT+ community. It rarely affects my life, but there have been a few memorable times that it did. The admissions course says that this is a "green light" topic, and I'm sure I could spin something good out of it. I also have a physical disability that I could probably write something about if it is worth the time to do so. Do schools really like reading about this stuff?

Personal statement question:
*Trigger warning (violence)-- because I'm a millennial, and it's a thing we do...
- I guess I'm wondering if this is too personal. I'm a mass shooting survivor. My experience is the main driver of my decision to become a lawyer. I don't want to word vomit feelings that make the readers uncomfortable or make them feel like they're in traumaland. I also don't want to write something that makes my decision seem vengeful-- like I'm out to save the world because somebody who sucks destroyed it.

I feel like a lost puppy.

Comments

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

I think if there's ever a life changing experience that makes one re-evaluate their lives and find their path, that's a pretty damn good one.
    I think it'd only come across as vengeful if it was like "Imma be a lawyer so I can sue the pants off their estate/hopefully be the one to send someone like that to death row in the future"
    I imagine a trip in your shoes will probably be uncomfortable for the average reader. You can't help that.
    There are some awesome folks who do this stuff for a living. I hope one of them gets a hold of you.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited July 2018 1777 karma

@AudaciousRed hahaha I'm definitely not trying to sue the guy. Actually, he pled guilty and got a life sentence... but if there's a single mass shooter who really should've been placed in a psychiatric hospital, it's him. He had a really shitty lawyer to let him plead guilty. That's a whole separate issue. But yeah, I would definitely say that this was a life-changing experience! I guess I would just have to find a good way to write about the experience. Thanks for your comment!

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Have you reviewed the Law School Admissions videos that come with the + package? Those could help you.

Also, @"David.Busis" has admissions consulting packages and may be worth getting one: https://7sage.com/admissions/enroll/. He gets very good reviews here and seems to have great writers - check out their bios. I know its an extra expense but with your questions perhaps he can help you narrow down your topics. Good luck.

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

If you can do the 7sage admissions consulting! I used them for my PS and it was worth every penny. They'll help you pick a topic.

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    edited July 2018 7294 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" We can help!

I wish someone could hold my hand through this process and help me every step of the way. Does anyone tutor people on this stuff? God, help me.

We offer exactly what you're looking for: step-by-step guidance for every step of the admissions process. Check out our consulting service:
    https://7sage.com/admissions/enroll-consulting/

Diversity statement question:
    - I am a member of the LGBT+ community. It rarely affects my life, but there have been a few memorable times that it did. The admissions course says that this is a "green light" topic, and I'm sure I could spin something good out of it. I also have a physical disability that I could probably write something about if it is worth the time to do so. Do schools really like reading about this stuff?

They really do! Admissions officers are genuinely committed to putting a diverse class together. This isn't marketing gobbledygook—it's in their self-interest to make their class multifarious. Why?

1. A diverse class leads to a better experience for students.
    2. Smart, motivated people come in all shapes and sizes. They want all smart, motivated people to feel comfortable at the school, to enroll, and to make the school look good when they graduate.
    3. Admissions officers are humans, and most of them (certainly everyone I met) are—believe it or not—good people.

Personal statement question:
    *Trigger warning (violence)-- because I'm a millennial, and it's a thing we do...
    - I guess I'm wondering if this is too personal. I'm a mass shooting survivor. My experience is the main driver of my decision to become a lawyer. I don't want to word vomit feelings that make the readers uncomfortable or make them feel like they're in traumaland. I also don't want to write something that makes my decision seem vengeful-- like I'm out to save the world because somebody who sucks destroyed it.

As a human, I want to say that my heart goes out to you. As an admissions consultant, I want to say that you should, without question, write about your experience and explain why it motivated you to become a lawyer.

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

I've heard great things about the full-admission course at 7sage. Another great service in that area is Spivey. I don't want to take away from the 7sage service because I trust it and believe in it, but either one of these services will guide you through your apps every step of the way. They are pricey but you will most likely get that money back. Even if you don't, it will give you peace of mind that you constructed the best application that you were capable of.

1777 karma

@"David.Busis" thank you! I am definitely interested in the consulting. I'm applying for next fall, including a few schools in Canada that have apps due November 1st. Should I be starting this stuff now?

1777 karma

@LCMama2017 I have reviewed the info (definitely helpful), and like @Ohnoeshalpme said, I think that the course will pay for itself!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Since David already replied in here, that's not a lot to say haha. I was just thinking, as far as writing about the shooting, I think it'd probably be wise to just focus on the afterwards, how it changed you, motivated you, etc. Probably not dwell too much on the incident itself. But otherwise, it's definitely going to be a unique and moving topic that I'm sure has had a profound impact on you.

And if you ever need a read-through, lots of folks here on the message board would be happy to help out!

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7294 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" email editors@7sage.com. The short answer is that you should prioritize your LSAT studying but definitely start now if you can.

1777 karma

@"Leah M B" and @"David.Busis" thank you!

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Highly recommend @"David.Busis" !

• LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    edited July 2018 1878 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    @"David.Busis" thank you! I am definitely interested in the consulting. I'm applying for next fall, including a few schools in Canada that have apps due November 1st. Should I be starting this stuff now?

Hi @"samantha.ashley92" It doesn't hurt to start planning now but you've still got time, especially if you need to focus on LSAT prep. You might want to start asking for reference letters so that your recommenders have sufficient time before Nov 1. I applied to US schools through LSAC and in Ontario via OLSAS, and ended up going to law school in Toronto -- though this was all about 4 years ago, I'd be happy to answer any questions to the best of my memory, if you'd like.