Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

7Sagers in need of #help

studentservicestudentservice Alum Member Administrator Moderator Student Services
in General 1421 karma

Hey guys!

Recently, we've seen many comments with #help go unanswered. We would appreciate it if you could answer some of them (assuming you have access to the course)! :)
https://7sage.com/recent-questions/

"Teaching is the highest form of understanding."
-Aristotle (maybe)

Answering questions can help you revisit fundamental concepts and can help make sure you understand them!

Thank you!

Comments

• Sue Doe NimbSue Doe Nimb Alum Member
    183 karma

Can I make a suggestion? (I'm guessing your answer is "go ahead".) Obviously, if we were all more altruistic, it would be a top priority of ours to help others. But some of us are not that altruistic. If there was an incentive to help others, that may increase the student participation in answering others' questions. Is this a possibility?

• s_jrickes_jricke Alum Member
    edited September 2018 360 karma

@"Sue Doe Nimb" said:
    Can I make a suggestion? (I'm guessing your answer is "go ahead".) Obviously, if we were all more altruistic, it would be a top priority of ours to help others. But some of us are not that altruistic. If there was an incentive to help others, that may increase the student participation in answering others' questions. Is this a possibility?

How about this for an incentive? Helping others with questions will help you yourself get better at the test.

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    edited September 2018 2798 karma

@s_jricke said:

@"Sue Doe Nimb" said:

How about this for an incentive? Helping others with questions will help you yourself get better at the test.

100%!! Answering questions has worked wonders for reinforcing CC lessons and showing me what I need to brush up on. As Einstein is rumored to have said "If you can't explain it simply, you do not understand it." Additionally, what makes 7Sage so amazing is that most 7Sagers are altruistic and understand that we are all in this together.

• s_jrickes_jricke Alum Member
    edited September 2018 360 karma

@"Lucas Carter" said:

@s_jricke said:

@"Sue Doe Nimb" said:

100%!! Answering questions has worked wonders for reinforcing CC lessons and showing me what I need to brush up on. As Einstein is rumored to have said "If you can't explain it simply, you do not understand it." Additionally, what makes 7Sage so amazing is that most 7Sagers are altruistic and understand that we are all in this together.

Spot on, right there. I even like to explain LSAT questions to people who have no interest in taking the LSAT just to see if I can explain my reasoning about a question in a coherent way that makes sense to them.

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

Is there any way to answer #help questions without being enrolled? I own the PTs, and I'd love to continue to help out in the community here, but I'm just not enrolled :smile:

• thinkorswimthinkorswim Alum Member
    433 karma

Hi. Just a suggestion, I think the reason why so many questions go unanswered is because of the fact that their are individuals that ask A LOT of questions causing those that actually ask a few/important ones to go to the bottom of the list. I try my best to help out the community but sometimes I think it is unfair for a person to ask for example 5 questions in a row causing those that actually need help with their more thought out questions to go to the bottom. I think it would help to limit the amount of times you can use the *help function to like 3 a week or something like that so people would actually think if it is worth using someone else's time.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 1777 karma

@"Sue Doe Nimb" I agree with the comments above. Plus, there is the monthly chatterbox (financial incentive) contest, which includes comments made on questions.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

For those mentioning incentives, I would definitely say: explaining questions about the LSAT really does help cement your own understanding of it.

And beyond that, you can search for the "chattels for chatterboxes" thread if you would like to see a more tangible incentive.

Personally, I'm sorry! I've been neglectful of those. Life has gotten kinda nuts and I've been away from a lot of things LSAT related. But knowing that these are going unanswered, I'll do my best to step up! Thanks for the heads up. :)

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

Nothing tests your understanding like explaining why something is sufficient or necessary without using those words to explain how conditional relationships work. Furthermore, I've found that answering the questions allows me to revisit a specific section of the curriculum and marvel at how well structured this course is. For example, the section about identifying subject and verbs in stimulus has been beneficial for me in RC and LR. Sometimes when I'm stuck between two answer choices I go, well what was the purpose of this stimulus in the broader term? Oh yeah the mayor.

I've been so busy drilling and Pt-ING I've been slacking on my explanation :(

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

@hawaiihi said:
    Is there any way to answer #help questions without being enrolled? I own the PTs, and I'd love to continue to help out in the community here, but I'm just not enrolled :smile:

Same. I can't access many of those questions...

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    edited July 2018 2038 karma

I also can't access the questions since I never purchased a 7sage package but willing to help explain questions if provided the access.

• studentservicestudentservice Alum Member Administrator Moderator Student Services
    1421 karma

Thank you for your suggestions! Sorry guys, you need access to the course to see the comments. :(

• VibrioVibrio Alum Member
    edited July 2018 625 karma

I think # HELP questions can be seen on the dashboard? I personally think that the lack of a separate button to the recent questions' page or the dashboard may PARTIALLY hinder access. The dashboard is seen only on login or when one types the address specifically. For example, I am logged in to other 7sage pages most of the time that I hardly ever see the dashboard until I decide to clear cache and log in again. Would be great to have easier access to those pages without having to find or type the link each time. Please correct me if I am just missing it.

• thinkorswimthinkorswim Alum Member
    433 karma

@Vibrio I miss the birds =)

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

@Vibrio said:
    I think # HELP questions can be seen on the dashboard? I personally think that the lack of a separate button to the recent questions' page or the dashboard may PARTIALLY hinder access. The dashboard is seen only on login or when one types the address specifically. For example, I am logged in to other 7sage pages most of the time that I hardly ever see the dashboard until I decide to clear cache and log in again. Would be great to have easier access to those pages without having to find or type the link each time. Please correct me if I am just missing it.

So you mean you are usually on the Syllabus page? https://7sage.com/progress/ Interesting! I've never stayed on that page.

You can click "7Sage lsat" at the top to go to the Dashboard. :)

@akistotle said:
    So you mean you are usually on the Syllabus page? https://7sage.com/progress/ Interesting! I've never stayed on that page.

Yes, I am usually on the Syllabus or Discussion Forum page in addition to the PT/Question I am working on, but never really on Dashboard.

You can click "7Sage lsat" at the top to go to the Dashboard. :)

Oh. So that's where the link to the Dashboard is!!! I thought it was only for switching to other sites! Thanks. Do we also have a button for the recent questions?

@VanishingTaxAct said:
    @Vibrio I miss the birds =)

:smiley: I moved home now but I can hear birds here too, just not as much as before! :smiley:

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

@studentservice said:
    Thank you for your suggestions! Sorry guys, you need access to the course to see the comments. :(

Ah, that's too bad! Would love to see a way around it in the future... maybe being able to see the comments without seeing the actual question? That way, people who don't have a course but have the PTs could still help out their fellow community members.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Agreed with @Vibrio, I tend to forget about these because I go straight to Discussion or the Course. There's not much on the dashboard I usually look at. It might be helpful if we could add it to a menu at some point. I would be less likely to forget about it that way! I've been making an effort though. :)

625 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    For those mentioning incentives, I would definitely say: explaining questions about the LSAT really does help cement your own understanding of it.

It's true that explaining to someone else helps with our own understanding of the question. However, it requires a level of mastery over the LSAT that is still very challenging for many of us. Sometimes, it takes me half an hour to try to come up with a clear enough explanation for one question.

And beyond that, you can search for the "chattels for chatterboxes" thread if you would like to see a more tangible incentive.

So, personally, I would love to have some form of feedback from the people asking the questions, whether it helped them or not. If it didn't, then it would be an indication of my level of understanding and how clearly I can explain.
    I think that it would clutter the comments' section a lot if everyone replied to the #help explanations but it would be great to have a notification of some sort about someone pressing "like" on your explanation.
    (Please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I think we don't receive notifications for the "like" on our comments?)
    Again, this is only my suggestion and I am also trying to push myself to help more!

• CurlyQQQCurlyQQQ Alum Member
    295 karma

Maybe a weekly #help discussion post where people who aren't getting the help they need can ask away? Also, maybe a weeding out of #help questions that can be easily answered in the CC.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Agreed with @Vibrio, I tend to forget about these because I go straight to Discussion or the Course. There's not much on the dashboard I usually look at. It might be helpful if we could add it to a menu at some point. I would be less likely to forget about it that way! I've been making an effort though. :)

Agree with this too - my page goes right to the discussion and not the dashboard.

Also - I have answered a few questions but I don't like to because I'm nervous I'm going to explain it wrong. The last thing I want to do is confuse someone who needs help! I'm not confident in my abilities yet, although, I think I'm getting there.

One suggestion would be to designate people to answer these types of questions. I'm not talking about getting incentives because I think that's already done through the chattel awards but in order for these questions to not go unanswered perhaps there needs to be a dedicated set of people who can answer these in a regular basis.