Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reason for using 4 instead of 5 sections for PTs

ecarr_12ecarr_12 Live Member
in General 187 karma

Just wondering why the PTs included here only have 4 sections and what the general consensus is over practicing with 4 or 5 sections. My concern is that the last section could very well be a "real" section. So if I'm only practicing with 4, this runs me the risk of getting burnt out.

4 vs. 5 Sections
  1. Do you think the momentum really does drive you through the 5th section on actual test day ?30 votes
    1. Yes
      60.00%
    2. No
      40.00%

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

The PTs here have 4 sections because that is all that is released. If you want to practice a 5 section test, you'll need to pilfer from another PT no matter which service you get your PTs from.

Some folks swear by the 5+ section PTs. That was never for me. I understand the concern about stamina but I think improving processes should be the primary concern and only once those are solid consider adding the 5 section. I never wound up adding a 5th section but I never felt burnt out by the 5th section on test day either (I took it 3 times).

Chalk it up to personal preference and individual considerations I suppose.

• Watermelon OtterWatermelon Otter Alum Member
    edited August 2018 345 karma

I never added a 5th section to my PTs and didn't feel any more fatigued on the 5th section on the real thing than I did on the other sections. I guess this can vary from person to person and maybe it would be worth it to try practicing with 5, but I don't think it's totally necessary.

The most important things when taking PTs are to use a bubbling sheet and keep time correctly. If you are doing those things I believe you shouldn't stress too much about whether to use a 5th section.

• AshleighKAshleighK Alum Member
    786 karma

^ The bubble sheet is so crucial. When I first took the LSAT, during prep I totally underestimated using it. I just assumed since I'm so used to it, it'll be second nature. But during the real thing I was sooooo nervous and anxious I was answering questions and I completely forgot to bubble my answers. When I realized this I frantically transferred my answers and it threw me off completely for the rest of the exam. So yeah, make sure you incorporate it in your studies. I even use it for drilling but if it's FPing I don't bother. Also, I never found doing the 5 section to be helpful because it just made me feel drained. The energy and vibe you feel doing a PT at home is different than sitting in the test room on test day with others around you. The situation itself just gives you an adrenaline to keep you going. The writing section is where I felt myself losing all the energy slowly though.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yeah I'm pretty much in line with the other commenters. I know the general wisdom is to practice with 5, and I definitely think that is a solid option. However, since I was working full time and studying, I really was trying hard to manage my time and not burn out. I did a few PTs with 5 sections just to see how it felt, but then practiced only with 4. On test day, it is draining to have a longer test but as the others said, you also have adrenaline that helps you along. I didn't really feel like 5 sections felt that much longer to me. I think it's a personal choice though and if someone is struggling with stamina for 4 sections, I would highly highly recommend they practice with 5. Some people around here even practice with 6 just to really push yourself and then test day feels easier. Not a bad option in my mind. Just for me and my priorities, I felt ok with doing 4 section PTs. I also would rarely feel totally wiped out at the end, which I thought would bode well for test day.

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

I just want to hop on here to say that, at least for me, test day energy is a real thing. I think the bigger concern is making sure you ramp down adrenaline- not the other way around. Stamina wise I was more than fine after pting with 4 sections.

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

I tried with the fifth section a couple of times but it's never the same becaue you KNOW which one the 'experimental' is. Even if you split one PT into 4 experimentals, you still know because you're the one organizing it. Also, I never really got around to BR-ing the fifth section regularly just because it was all so overwhelming BR-ing the actual test and drilling what you need to drill; adding another section on top of that was too much. Whole point of PT is to guage your strengths and weaknesses anyway.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I'm probably not going to PT with 5 sections just because my test date is so soon and I just recently started PTing. But if stamina is an issue for you, I would practice with a fifth section. Even if you know which one is the experimental, you'll still have to use the same level of cognitive functioning. Plus, you're going to have the writing section on exam day. Overall, assuming you have the standard 35-min per section, that's going to be another 70 min on top of your 4-part PT. As for me, I'd rather not burn out and just push through on test day. I just think it's a personal decision based on how you are as a test taker.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2038 karma

I didn't see any difference in scores or experienced fatigue with 4 vs 5 sections so I just decided to stop doing 5 section PTs. Other people say that it's necessary, but if you personally don't feel burnout then don't bother. Another example is how most people recommend against doing more than 2 PTs a week. I took 3-4 PTs a week for several months and did not experience any burnout and it got me to my goal scores relatively fast. Some people swear by the 5 section PTs and no more than 2 PT a week rule, but I personally don't think either makes much of a difference. Test it out yourself and see how it goes.

• mynameisjeffmynameisjeff Member
    519 karma

I've tried so many times to add a 5th section and really treat it like the other 4, but since I know which one is the "non-graded" one I feel off and it messes with my testing. I do have the stamina for it, again, just feels weird since I know which one is the odd section out.