Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

November Retake Study Plan

helentang02helentang02 Alum Member
in General 246 karma

What is your plan of attack? How many PTs a week, drilling, daily schedule, books you will read to help with RC (even non-LSAT related), meditation/motivational YouTube videos, be as specific as you'd like!

I'll go first!

I am taking a week long break after the September 8th LSAT. The first week of studying I will drill question types I consistently missed on my last 4 or 5 PTs to get my momentum back.

Starting week 2 is when I will begin my humbling, soul sucking yet grateful for it, etc. schedule:

Take 1 PT - every Saturday (PT 70-80s),
BR - Sunday
Review - Monday & Tuesday and then tally up again question types
Drill -Wednesday & Thursday
Up in the air - Friday either relax or if I don't feel exhausted I will do 2 practice sections timed and review (PTs 50-60s and above)

I have learned from this prep that I read frantically from anxiety. I also catch myself having random thoughts during my PTs, even when I want to focus. So, I end up missing a lot of low hanging fruit questions. My plan of attack is to learn how to be in the moment and to re-focus/center my thoughts.

Prep for mental health:

Monday-Friday morning: meditation 10-15mins (hopefully I don't fall asleep and wake up 2 hours later...)
One random day out of the week I will use my ClassPass to take a yoga class

Comments

• lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
    938 karma

Your plan sounds great, I am wishing you the best of luck. Do you already know for sure that you will be taking the Nov exam even after this Saturdays' exam?

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

One section a day with a blind review or review of troublesome questions. A full PT on Wednesdays (my only day off) with a review of the test throughout the week.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

One whisky-day a week, and daily exercise.

• helentang02helentang02 Alum Member
    246 karma

@lsatgodjk I'm almost 100% sure. The last couple of weeks I have had a major drop in my PT scores. About 10-8 point difference from my average so a little rattled by that. Thank you and you too! You got this

edited September 2018 246 karma

@Bamboosprout LOL I love it. I've been avoiding alcohol because I never meet my expectations... it goes from "Ok ONE glass of wine or cocktail" to drinking three and then F*** it. Cheers to you!

246 karma

@adamhawks I think maybe I will also do a timed section a day. I'll tailor that once I get the ball rolling. Thank you for sharing and happy studies!

• mariev22mariev22 Member
    57 karma

@helentang02 Hi there! You and I seem to be in similar situations! I'm sitting for the Sept 8 test, will try my best on it, but fairly certain I'll be sitting in November too. Your retake study plan is very close to what I came up with for myself too! Any chance you're in the Bay Area or interested in trying to be accountability buddies?!

• 1Science1Art1Science1Art Alum Member
    269 karma

HI helentang02, I sat for the June 2018 test but was unhappy with my results, so I too am taking the Nov test. I gave myself a lot of time in between by doing so so I could enjoy my summer with my girls, but now it is time to re-focus. I too have begun taking a PT every Sat but I'll see if my results don't improve at the rate that I need them to then I might have to start the 2-a-week method that others swear by. I am doing this on my own, so I hope I can figure this all out in time. Best of luck to you in Nov

• AshleighKAshleighK Alum Member
    786 karma

PT on Saturday: BR, FP
    BR PT, FP Sunday
    Monday: Drill section(s), BR, FP
    Tuesday: Drill section(s), BR, FP
    Wednesday: OFF
    Thursday: Drill section(s), BR, FP
    Friday: Drill section(s), BR, FP

Going from strengthening LG, to maximizing my points in RC, to scraping up extra points in LR alternating every day. I'm planning to have LG intense days and FP one game a day.
    I think from September-October I might do 1 PT every 2 weeks and then October- November do 1 PT every week. I went through 7 PTs prepping for September so I'm just figuring out which PTs I want to use.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

I'm going to start doing 2 preptests a week pretty soon. I'm thinking Saturday morning and wednesday afternoon for those. I'll BR the next day and figure out any trends I need to focus on while drilling. I'll also be doing a difficult RC passage a day as well as foolproofing a difficult LG game a day. I may have weeks were I focus the majority of my energy on a single section type at a time. Right now I'm doing RC. I've found this to be less overwhelming than attacking all four at once. I'm also going to revisit some of my favorite webinars from time to time because occasionally it helps me pinpoint something I could be doing better. Goal #1 is dropping my RC average from -6 to -2. Goal #2 is finishing LG and LR with more time to spare. Goal #3 is getting to a 170-173 PT average!

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    edited September 2018 1694 karma

@helentang02 said:
    @Bamboosprout LOL I love it. I've been avoiding alcohol because I never meet my expectations... it goes from "Ok ONE glass of wine or cocktail" to drinking three and then F*** it. Cheers to you!

Have to reward yourself a bit. But if you can't do it in moderation, then you probably should abstain, yup. Hahaha. I've saved up a few hundred dollars these few weeks for the rest of this saturday. We drink to congratulate those who did well, and we also drink for condolences to those who didn't. Either way, definitely going to be leaving a bar dry.

• Victoria.Victoria. Member
    553 karma

Bumping this

• YHZstudentYHZstudent Alum Member
    2 karma

It's not technically a retake, but I am taking the test in November. I originally signed up for the September test, but I backed out because I knew I wasn't ready. Here's my schedule:

Monday: LG drills
    Tuesday: Timed LG practice sections
    Wednesday: LR and RC drills
    Thursday: PT
    Friday: BR
    Saturday: LR
    Sunday: rest

Currently scoring 154 with a goal of 160.

• keepcalmandneuronkeepcalmandneuron Alum Member
    edited September 2018 470 karma

Hello friends, I HAVE VERY AMBITIOUS BUT DO-ABLE short-term #goals for the NOVEMBER EXAM and I wish you all the very best.

Day1: LG Foolproofing (going to pick it up from PT 32)
    Day2: LR Drills on my weak types (HEAVY focus on Flaw, Parallel M, S.A, N.A, Point of agree/disagree)
    Day3: PT + 1/2 BR on same day
    Day4: Continue 1/2 BR and 10 LR questions, LG Foolproofing
    Day5: PT + 1/2 BR on same day
    Day6: Continue 1/2 BR and 2 RC passages
    Day7: LG, LR, RC review

& Repeat

2 Full PT's and BR sessions per week, mastering LG Bundle (1-50), not expecting a huge improvement on RC due to time constraints but have been reading at least one hour of The Economist and New York Times every single day (plus I thought I should get myself well read in American/World politics too)

Miscellaneous:
    *Continuing to dedicate roughly 8 hours/day from 9am to dinnertime, solely focusing on my weaknesses with a goal of going -1 to 0 on every LG section I encounter, less than -5 on both LR sections and max -6 on RC
    *Working out every other day (mostly weightlifting but sometimes outdoor jogging in the WestCoast rain because it feels SO nice)
    *Packing my own lunch full of protein, carbs, and greens (also nuts as snacks to increase brain health)
    *Listening to my undergrad psych prof Dr. J Peterson before falling asleep as he softly speaks to my soul
    *Writing my Personal Statements
    *Polishing my CV
    *Looking for part-time jobs or internships so I can work during the summer before law school starts
    *Practice speaking ONLY the truth at all times (I've just turned 24, and one day it just hit me that not speaking the truth and/or being deceitful to myself AND to others was hurting my soul, my mental health, and my life so I strive to be transparent on what I can and cannot do and own up to my shortcomings)
    *Attend weekend night gigs with cool techno / house / acid DJs (I'm HUGE on music and dancing so I try to go to at least one gig per month, minus the drinking)

+For those of you interested in how fitness (could be low intensity cardio to high intensity training and/or weightlifting) can help actually help your brain produce more neuronal growth factors that enhance your memory, cognition AND ATTENTION (which are all Necc for this exam), here's a link to research papers https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s41465-018-0084-1

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

@keepcalmandneuron

That’s so cool that Jordan Peterson was your undergrad psychology professor, I regularly watch his YouTube videos and,of course, I’m big fan of 12 rules.

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

@helentang02 Hey thanks for posting! I'm on the struggle bus myself getting ready for November take 2 haha. I saw on there you mentioned you struggle with reading frantically and out of anxiety.....literally what I have trouble with! I get so quick minded that I go do stupid on the test.

Besides the meditation, have you seen anything else that may help? I have to start doing meditation again but I'm open minded to other things too.