Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So. Much. Toast.

AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
in Off-topic 2689 karma

Just thought I'd share this really weird article about someone who's about to become human toast.

https://abovethelaw.com/2019/02/lawyer-allegedly-fakes-cancer-to-get-into-law-school-delay-cases/

First lesson: don't lie. It won't be pretty.

Comments

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    1804 karma

Field is accused of inventing a foster child with the same sort of stomach cancer he claimed to have had when he was applying to law school. That fake foster child with fake cancer needed to have a fake emergency surgery that prevented Field from complying with a very real deposition deadline.

The sheer audacity. That part baffles me the most. Maybe it's because I like babies and children... I don't know.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

Wait, you are saying making up grandiose stories on your law school application is a bad thing? Ummmmmm......

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

This reminds me of the bizarre, bizarre case of Dan Mallory that The New Yorker covered recently.
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/02/11/a-suspense-novelists-trail-of-deceptions

• 1Science1Art1Science1Art Alum Member
    269 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:
    This reminds me of the bizarre, bizarre case of Dan Mallory that The New Yorker covered recently.
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/02/11/a-suspense-novelists-trail-of-deceptions

Right? That guy was a piece of work! I could barely get through the article without having to step away from my computer to clam down. His hubris was maddening

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

I just found it amusing and mind boggling... out of ALL the people you could lie to, why on Earth would you lie to lawyers??? Especially in becoming one, you would know how miserable they can make your life once they're pissed off. And he still kept pressing the lie. Special kind of stupid there..

• GuillaumeGuillaume Alum Member
    edited February 2019 652 karma

I assume a 173 LSAT would still be competitive for Chicago even without having had cancer...

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

Damn though, from 158 to 173.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@Guillaume said:
    I assume a 173 LSAT would still be competitive for Chicago even without having had cancer...

That was my first thought... like... you didn't even have to lie. How incredibly weird to invent a sob story when he could have just written an addendum saying he studied harder and took a prep class or something. Lol.

@FixedDice said:

Field is accused of inventing a foster child with the same sort of stomach cancer he claimed to have had when he was applying to law school. That fake foster child with fake cancer needed to have a fake emergency surgery that prevented Field from complying with a very real deposition deadline.

The sheer audacity. That part baffles me the most. Maybe it's because I like babies and children... I don't know.

This part was INFURIATING. Don't you dare use even the concept of a sick foster child for your personal benefit. What an awful thing to do. He is in need of some serious therapy.

• Waffle23Waffle23 Alum Member
    603 karma

It's possible this guy got extra time accommodations due to illness. They didn't mention it in the article, but it's def. a possibility.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

@skhan012018 said:
    It's possible this guy got extra time accommodations due to illness. They didn't mention it in the article, but it's def. a possibility.

Oh man... that is a good point!

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6045 karma

This is all kinds of messed up. I can't believe people like this exist.

I read about this! It's ...astonishing the lengths people are able to go to.